i30 Owners Club

Ahrrrg, car wouldn't start :(

diablo · 17 · 4792

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Hopped in car to go to supermarket last night, and although it started it petered out when I put it in gear. Odd, thinks I, so tried starting it again and apart from the odd splutter it wouldn't start again.

The engine was turning over fairly slowly so I kinda assumed it might be the battery being too flat - these modern electrics need a decent voltage to work I'm told. So I dragged out my ancient battery charger and it has been on that for a few hours now.

However I looked up about the batteries on here 'coz I remembered they were a bit odd. So just ordered a new battery charger which will work with these new-fangled calcium batteries. Should be here Thursday I hope.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002T8Y4GW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reckon I'll have to keep an eye on the battery and measure the voltage every now and then, I do very few runs to charge it up these days.

Wonder if I'll need a new one ?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Dead battery after only 3 years? That'd be a shame. Doesn't the warranty state 5 years for the battery?

I have a similar smart charger. It sends charge pulses in varying bursts to trickle charge, then fires photon torpedoes to liven up the acid (the missus' car, not my i30). Doesn't work on a dead battery (your Gunson probably will tho).
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I presume you do have fuel in the car!!!!!!!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

I presume you do have fuel in the car!!!!!!!

Three-quarters of a tank or so. :) Well unless someones siphoned it off down to the very last dregs. :)

I'll have to have a look at the paperwork to see if I do have a 5 year guarantee on the battery - hadn't thought of that.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

I'll have to have a look at the paperwork to see if I do have a 5 year guarantee on the battery - hadn't thought of that.

Shambles is usually spot on but would be very surprised. One or two years (from the battery manufacturer) would be my best guess... :cool:

That charger looks good value  :goodjob: Hope it does the trick  :Knock:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Make sure a rat didn't chew some wires. :wink:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

Make sure a rat didn't chew some wires. :wink:

I only have mice in my garage. :)

Fitted battery back in car after overnight charge on new charger. Engine started up on third attempt.

Though I'm not sure I trust the car at the moment, maybe I'll give it a long run this afternoon to fully charge it and check he voltage when I get back. Maybe it needs a new battery, dammit.

The new charger had got it up to 13volts and I was somehow expecting it to be more like 14.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Bit of a mixed result diablo (Hope it comes right with a good drive)  :fingers:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
We all take the battery for granted dont we. Plus we all know that these days there are cheap option "battery conditioners" around we can leave connected up all the time.

But they still catch us out... personally I never give my battery a thought other than when the bonnet is up & I give it a clean. It's the original, so 5 years old now and as far as I can tell its in awesome health (crosss fingers)  :snigger:
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

We all take the battery for granted dont we.

I take the whole damned car for granted these days. In the past 25 years I've had very few failures to start. Usually a battery problem, but once (in the present car) I was actually out of fuel - which was odd as I'd never heard seen the fuel warning light or spotted the dial going low (maybe I was on drugs then? can't remember).

Though prior to that (I'm old) failing to start wasn't all that uncommon - especially in winter.

Though in those days it was easy to check the battery, points, plugs, HT leads, condenser and fuel feed into carb. My mind goes blank when I look at a modern engine as those aren't usually options.  :scared:

They have charged batteries at local Halfords or ones at half the price on the internet. Hmmm, will think about that after test drive.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
They have charged batteries at local Halfords ...

I'll be there at 14:45 today to pick up an aircon recharge system. I'll also be checking out their batteries as mine is also over 5 years old (no problems as yet tho)

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

Picked up new battery from Halfords and currently still in the boot, the old battery seems to working well again now - car starts instantly I twist the key again. Though  the new one in the back, with the tools to swap it over if needed, does make me feel less vulnerable. I have rescue insurance for breakdowns (without homestart) but they take a long time to get to you usually - unless you are a woman with kiddies of course.

Both batteries now show about 12.8 volts. Though the charged one from Halfords may have lost voltage in storage I suppose?  I can't seem to find very much good info on the interwebby about exactly how to look after these batteries and what voltages are normal.

I'll have to work out how to set up my radio again.  :scared:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Modern batteries are pretty much sealed for life and maintenance free really, just keep it clean, and make sure the terminals and main ground cable connector is tight and sealed with petroleum jelly.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
IIRC every cell in the battery can "contain" 2,1 Volt. As there's 6 cell's in a 12 V battery the nominal voltage will be 12,6 Volt.

When you charge a battery, you should allways wait 2 hours before checking the voltage to get the most accurate result.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Picked up new battery from Halfords ...

They didn't list any for the CRDi, but I did see three for your petrol.

Did you go for the £108 Bosch battery?

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

Picked up new battery from Halfords ...

They didn't list any for the CRDi, but I did see three for your petrol.

Did you go for the £108 Bosch battery?
Went for the middle priced one -

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_264129_langId_-1_categoryId_165762

I've been told that you shouldn't replace a calcium/calcium battery with a lead-acid one like the cheapest they suggest. And i couldn't work out what the Bosch one was.

All this pulse charging and higher voltage needed stuff confoozes my little noggin so I went for the one which said it was calcium. :)

They do calcium/calcium batteries on-line for half the price - maybe I'd have been okay to go for one of them?  I didn't want to wait for delivery and find the car not working again, oh well it is only money.  :confused:

p.s. this was one of the on-line ones which I very nearly ordered -

http://www.thebatteryguys.co.uk/products/solite-027

It is actually recommended for the diesels - and my original battery is a Solite.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 20:29:46 by diablo »

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal