i30 Owners Club

Chem Tec diesel fuel additive

Lakes · 56 · 23350

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
 well thought i'd post, have used Chem Tec diesel additive before in first i30 CRDi that I owned, mostly to stop Algea growth. it claims improved economy, & increased power but I did not notice. but if your injectors were carboned up & not clean & his cleaned them it would give you a power increase & economy increase. but adding to a motor that already performs as new won't make it go faster. but will keep it performing & I got the large container with built in measurer & its Australian Product $33 not cheap but a one tank bottle of some other brand additive cost about $10 so $33 is cheap as last bottle lasted me about two years 80,000k
thought i'd mention. this

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I wonder how this stuff compares with what Phil has got/used (Or is it the same?)

I think Phil pays $70 for a big container?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I have used this product from the first fillup with my i30. The recommended dosage rate is 1ml  of additive per 1 litre of diesel fuel. I also add the same amount of 2-stroke oil per litre of diesel fuel....but that's another story.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I wonder how this stuff compares with what Phil has got/used (Or is it the same?)

I think Phil pays $70 for a big container?

Expensive, but treats 4k lts of Diesel, our cars are on their 2nd dose.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi Phil,
What is this product called?

Cheers,
Paolo

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Its called Fuelmaster ex NSW.

Here is the info I have put up for it.

http://sdrv.ms/161JV1u

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thanks Phil. It sounds very good. Have you noticed that your engines run any smoother/differently since adding this product? Where is it sold?

Cheers,
Paolo

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Too early to say, my main objective is to insure against diesel bug, which is a random chance at any time and the elimination of any water in the tank, permanently.

Aren't the contact details in the presentation.

Here is the email address

David@fuelmaster.net.au

Please mention Phil from the i30 club if you're buying because I'm trying to set up a price reduction for forum members.

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Aren't the contact details in the presentation.

Yeah....saw that but thought that it might be retailed at Repco, Supercheap or another one of those...might e-mail David.

Many thanks,
Paolo

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Do that  :exclaim:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I have used this product from the first fillup with my i30. The recommended dosage rate is 1ml  of additive per 1 litre of diesel fuel. I also add the same amount of 2-stroke oil per litre of diesel fuel....but that's another story.

Redline have an additive that probably does same as the 2 stroke oil, I think your probably trying to lubricate fuel pump & injectors, but as I don't know enough about the electronic injectors or the fuel pump seals used. i'm just careful but any lubrication would be good. if I do that it will only be with the redline product ( expencive but all there products work, I've had first hand experience ) redline make a product to lubricate diesel fuel pumps just I was to ask the redline rep if its suitable for the injectors that the common rail use.
with diesels fuel is everything, look after the fuel pump & injectors ( most important of all is change fuel filter 30,000k, as dirt causes wear ) clean fuel an the right lubrication & I would expect the motor to outlast the trans & clutch, I've seen small common rail diesels do 600,000k still going others 500,000 and it's ther injectors that will be first thing to go. I think that diesel valve seats will outlast petrol valve seat by a long long way. as unlead fuel very hard on valve seats even the new hardened valves seats, as I've inspected a lot of them. but in most cases the owner of a petrol car would not know, just the performance would gradualy be effected but with diesel they seem to just go better as they do more K's or miles. this is one reason. I think.
but not sure if they improve economy with age, as when my car performs better I like to drive it & feel how well it runs so that's not going to help economy LOL still the beauty with the diesel i30 CRDi for me (in Australia ) is you can drive it how you like ( with in the law ) & still get good economy. I think they are just a good balance of the right size motor ( not too big not to small ) right weight a good balance of gearing for the speeds in this country. so for me they work fine.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
just thought i'd add my thoughts, with these additives, they could be good, just some of the claims, I just wait and see. it's like the vitamin industry. if you eat the correct diet you get them naturally anyway. my friend takes these expecive tablets that stop ageing  :rofl:. I told hi it's too late should have got onto them when you were 18  :rofl:
the reason i'm using the chem tec is with my move down the coast I expect to not be using as much fuel , so fuel will be in the tank longer this can increase the risk of Algea growth. what Phil has could be even better, also small sleepy little town not sure on quality of diesel yet but my friend has a diesel and has lived in area 30 years but I doubt he worrys about these things at all just has not had trouble so will just use same fuell as he does.
cheers

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia

the reason i'm using the chem tec is with my move down the coast I expect to not be using as much fuel , so fuel will be in the tank longer this can increase the risk of Algea growth. what Phil has could be even better, also small sleepy little town not sure on quality of diesel yet but my friend has a diesel and has lived in area 30 years but I doubt he worrys about these things at all just has not had trouble so will just use same fuell as he does.
cheers

Hi Lakes,
I agree with you wholeheartedly on this one. Most of my driving time is now in a Getz. When I DO need diesel in the i30, I now only ever put 30 litres in the tank. I don't like the thought of the fuel being in there perhaps too long. And trust me....I am NOT complaining about the i30's fantastic L/100km figures here!

All the best,
Paolo

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi Phil,
David from Fuelmaster returned my e-mail enquiry. He offered no discount for an i30 member but gave the location of a stockist close to me.

I bought a bottle today and added a double dose of 30ml for a filled tank. Can't hurt. Thanks for the heads-up..

Cheers,
Paolo

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
That would be great if, it does indeed eliminate water, as in winter months condensation  in storage tank could put small amounts of water in the fuel also condensation in fuel tank. but if you covered your car in blankets & cloth it would help stop that.
just I'd still like to know how this could possible remove water from your tank? like some fuel & chemicals can mix with water but that does not eliminate it. with a petrol you can get away with it, using something that mix's with water. But with a diesel you can't as water does not compress so if you get enough water in the chamber on a high compression motor it will Hydraulic the motor. this can mean anything, I've seen Hydraulicing cause only a ripple in the cylinder wall, but  if you get enough water in there when motor compress's it could break a rod or bend one plus a lot of other things like bent crank. guy I know got water in fuel at a BP Truck stop that you would expect to have good fuel he owned the truck so was harder it blew his motor. but with some kicking & squeeling they payed just was hard for him when it happened as you don't go at all with a blown motor.
still this product looks to be aimed more at large equipment diesel motors that cost two or three times what a new i30 costs & just for the motor like $60,000 up just to rebuild one of those motors. & the people that make these products are normally industrial chemists.
I hope they are ok to use with CRDi diesels? & yet again I ask how does the product stop water in diesel or eliminate water from a diesel fuel tank?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

I agree with your hydraulicing statements Lakes, but the water in Diesel fuel, is slightly different.

Water in fuel is an inevitable circumstance, it has to be. Yes you can get it from the bowser tanks, but just simple driving causes a lowering of fuel in the tank. This volume,, has to be replaced by allowing air into the tank to stop a vacuum occurring and in that air, there is always some water vapour. On a cold night, it will condense and flow under your diesel and there it sits, unable to evaporate, doing damage, if enough collects, it will travel to your filter sensor and you will be warned.

The process for dealing with water in the additive is a trade secret, so we're not going to be told how it works. There are two considerations here.

- Lubrication.

The fuel pump and injectors are lubricated by the diesel, it is oil after all, what happens as the water is passed through this equipment. I have to trust the company statement on this issue, they say it is processed safely, the alternative is to do nothing and that is unacceptable to me.

- Combustion.

The problem is not hydraulicing, it is the lower vaporisation point of water. Our member Kom, has provided pics of blown injectors, due to water turning to steam, in the injector itself. In crdi injector pressures inside reach 22k psi  :Shocked:

My theory on the fuel additive is that if it can remove water safely and deal with further water each tank by a tiny addition of a product, I will. It's a lot cheaper than engine repairs. No water means no tank rust, no engine damage and no possibility of Diesel bug.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Hi Phil,
David from Fuelmaster returned my e-mail enquiry. He offered no discount for an i30 member but gave the location of a stockist close to me.

I bought a bottle today and added a double dose of 30ml for a filled tank. Can't hurt. Thanks for the heads-up..

Cheers,
Paolo

Thanks  for mentioning.  :goodjob2:

Discount is only offered by buying 12 bottles minimum, which I can't afford. I was going to set this up, but the postage would eliminate any price advantage. Thanks for mentioning, because I would like him to be aware that we know of his product. If I were him, I'd be represented here promoting the product openly, within the forum rules boundaries and offering a general club discount. It seems I do more promoting, than he does.  :Dunno:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Phil I read it all & its all claim no real proof. & it says it does not eliminate water, it combines water to mix with fuel but, this fact just tell's me this guy is an Industrial Chemist not an Engineer as combining water into the fuel just to eliminate the bug or Algae. but what it can't do is. make water Compress that is the true reason you don't want water in Diesel. so you still have water in your fuel just it is mixed into the fuel BUT the fact is it still will NOT compress. you can get away with that in a petrol motor NOT a Diesel motor you just use metho to get water to burn as it mixes with it.
i'll just use this stuff I have & change my genuine Hy fuel filter @ 30k & if water in fuel light comes on i'll just keep replacing the fuel filter till it stops & rely on my Hy 5 year warranty ( still have three to go ) .
but you have it so use it & i'll just use this stuff I have I used it with first Hy & sold it at close to 100k & guy who bought it was paranoid, so I told him if you have a problem with it mate just send me an SMS you have my number & have not had an SMS from him two years on.
cheers mate
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 23:21:16 by Lakes »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I agree, nothing could eliminate water unless it was chemically converted back to hydrogen / oxygen gas (which is highly explosive).

Water, brake fluid, hydraulic oil used in rams and Diesel oil, they all compress minutely, but are termed "incompressable", because it is so minute.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi Again Phil here is another product, I don't know anyone personally that uses it.
but I use Redline engine oil in my motorcycles & I've looked in the motors & it works I won't use any other oil in my Motor Cycle as very high performance build & high compression ( 230 pound cranking pressure ) plus it's an air cooled motor so the oil is very important. this oil costs a bit of coin too :faint:, I also use there Heavy Shock proof gear oil its the best makes gear shifts that smooth .would use the MTL in my gearbox but its working fine now. i'd say this diesel product would cost an arm and both legs so have not even priced it but i'm sure it is good as everything from this company I've used is the best I've tried in 47 years of trying  :rofl:
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=31
cheers
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 00:03:16 by Lakes »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
There have been additives for fuels around for years. I always used Redex added in the petrol in my cars. It acted as an upper cylinder lubricant, and I always felt the car ran better, but it could just be auto suggestion too. Glad you're happy with the oil, testimony from actual users, is the best form of advertising. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how good the Diesel additives are. My bottle treats 4k litres, so I'll be in a nursing home  :scared: before it's used up, although it is used in both cars.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Phil I used that Redex years ago too, but I used to put too much in and it would make a 4 stroke look like a two stroke ( blow smoke ) so stopped using it never ever at that time looked in the motor to check it indeed worked, just my Dad told me it was good and lubricated top end he used to look in the old motors he used it in. he also drove & old Pug with his Father in the round Australia Redex trials. the Old Gelignite Jack Murray was the most Famous.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/2919336

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I read a book about Gelignite Jack, he rolled his car in a rally, another car coming through stops to ask if he needs help, he says " Yeah, got a spanner in your kit, I might as well do the brakes, while they're easy to get at." A very humorous book.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I read a book about Gelignite Jack, he rolled his car in a rally, another car coming through stops to ask if he needs help, he says " Yeah, got a spanner in your kit, I might as well do the brakes, while they're easy to get at." A very humorous book.

Classic.. Like when Lex Davidson crashed into the Pub in Longford during a race and asked for a beer  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
If any of you guys and girls are getting your cars serviced by Hyundai-proper then you would get the bottle of treatment put in every time you get it serviced. I see it on my bill every time. ??
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
And what happens when that fuel is gone.  :question:

The treatment is predominantly for cleaning injectors, not for keeping water & Diesel bug out of fuel tanks. I presume the "treatment" is added to petrol vehicles too.

Here is some interesting info on additives.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=7087.msg84802#msg84802

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
at work we use a product called ad blue in all the trucks,its almost the same price per litre as the diesel it treats.  :faint:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
What claims does this product make.  :question:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm not sure Phil,its recommended by the truck manufacturer.  :undecided:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal