i30 Owners Club

Best economy figure?

The Gonz · 87 · 22663

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
4.4L/100k from auto must be good Phil, i mostly am doing 100kph to 110kph now, but notice if i go slower in the 80 - 90 & not much traffic economy improves just i like to drive for enjoyment these days.

:agreed:

Could have done 100, but such a nice day we enjoyed the ride and views etc.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Sounds like the south end of Bondi Beach on a warm day Phil :rofl:

Offline lofty

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gold Coast
Hi Guys,

Had some nice economy last week.

Did 1170km, then brimmed the tank to put 44.5l  to refill. (3.8l per 100km)   Car computer said the same as far as l/100.

Driving between goldcoast and brisbane (average speed on the computer was 85km/hr) for those that know the stretch. Pretty much spending most of the drive on a bit over 100km/hr. Had some road works at various stages to slow me up.

No aircon was used (not sure if that makes much difference?)

I used cruise control whenever there was clear traffic.

:D
  • 2012 i30 Diesel 6speed manual hatch

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :brilliant:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

Offline lofty

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gold Coast
Yep..GD Manual Diesel.   Bought it almost 12months ago. Racked up 43,000km on it already.  I'll be glad when the all road works on the M1 are finished between the Goldy and Brisbane!  Will be booking the car in for the 45,000 km service at the dealership in a couple of weeks. Will let the Forum know how it all goes.  :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:goodjob2:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Thanks for keeping us posted.  :goodjob2:

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
3.8L/100km. Holy Moly.

And I thought my car was doing well with the trip computer saying 5.1L/100km and 850km into a tank and total distance for this tank looking like 1120km with average speed 37km/hr for this tank; struggling from eastern suburbs Sydney to past Parramatta and back in morning and afternoon peak.

I know the real figure will be more like 5.4L/100km if I'm lucky when I fill. I do brim though.

3.8 is stuff of dreams for me. I doubt the FD could get that. The lower gearing of the GD must help.

Have never taken the car for a country holiday as that often involves the whole family therefore the i30 stays in the garage.

Can only wonder how the economy would be with average speed 85km/hr.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

As I've said elsewhere on this fabulous forum, in my FD diesel manual (5 speed) my average tended to be usually @ 6.2 l/100 km.
In my GD diesel manual (6 speed), same driving, same driver, etc I tend to get on average @ 5.2 l/100 km.
It's a rare occurrence that I don't reach 1,000 + kms per tank and bearing in mind the Aussie spec GD tank is smaller than the FD tank, gotta be happy with that.  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline lofty

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gold Coast
Talking of family holidays.  Last January I bought a roof box (pretty boxy looking thing from Super Cheap).

Did a trip from the Goldcoast - Tamworth (nsw) - Bright (Vic) and was getting 5.2l per 100km.  Car was fully loaded (including the Mrs and 5 yr old). Glad we've only got the one child though.

Drove the inland route, so not much problem getting stuck in big city traffic. Don't recall average speed, but never went over 100km on the highways.

Must say I am surprised that the actual economy figures are closer to the Manufacturers claims.

Our other car is a Honda CRV (sucks about 10l/100km).  So essentially saved half the cost in fuel for the trip by taking the I30.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Well done.  :goodjob2:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:wts: :happydance:

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
Writing to you guys from Sydney. I drove the nearly 1000km trip down to Sydney over the last two days and can report a personal best for fuel economy figure!!~ :)    I got 4.99L/100km. I am VERY happy with this as I wasn't light light on the peddle but I wasn't hard either. I am glad and no long sceptical of sub-5's figures anymore!! it can be done !! I have a 2011 CRDi, 6 speed manual.  The fuel light came on and I did another 50km with the light on!! I filled up with 48litres of diesel once in sydeny. That means I still had 5 L left and thus about 100km to go.  That mean my light comes on at about 130-150km til' empty.  Amazing! Stoked :) I will be driving the inland route back home and I doubt I will get that figure again as its very hilly haha!
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
3.8L/100km. Holy Moly.

And I thought my car was doing well with the trip computer saying 5.1L/100km
My thoughts, too.

Mine's got 22,000 km up now. It has a mixed use of commuting to work (which is mostly 80/100km/h stuff) and trips on the freeway to Melbourne. My average is 6.1 if you can believe the trip computer, with ave speed of around 50 km/h.

Best i've seen, and only briefly is 4.9l/100km. I usually get around 700 km between fills (and no, I don't "brim" it). I generally fill up with whatever diesel that BP sells. Sometimes I fill up at a local Caltex servo or one between here and Melbourne, but that's about it.

I tried driving it like a pussy for a while. In the end I gave up and now I drive it normally. It made bugger all difference to the car's economy.

Having said that, it's still cheap as chips to run.
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Current tank, trip computer shows 5.0 l/100k. There is no stop start driving, mainly freeway at 90 kmh  <- :mrgreen:

4sp Auto :happydance:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

50+Mm and still as economical. :happydance:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Today I saw 1000 ks come up with the needle still on the 1/4 mark, but ever so slightly to the left of the mark if I was being really honest. 
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Writing to you guys from Sydney. I drove the nearly 1000km trip down to Sydney over the last two days and can report a personal best for fuel economy figure!!~ :)    I got 4.99L/100km. I am VERY happy with this as I wasn't light light on the peddle but I wasn't hard either. I am glad and no long sceptical of sub-5's figures anymore!! it can be done !! I have a 2011 CRDi, 6 speed manual.  The fuel light came on and I did another 50km with the light on!! I filled up with 48litres of diesel once in sydeny. That means I still had 5 L left and thus about 100km to go.  That mean my light comes on at about 130-150km til' empty.  Amazing! Stoked :) I will be driving the inland route back home and I doubt I will get that figure again as its very hilly haha!

Great result.   :goodjob:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline CleaneR

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Coventry
Coventry UK - Sosnowiec Poland - 3 persons + full car of diving equipment and bags:
1072 miles
78,77 diesel
comp: 63,7 mpg
calculated: 61,54 mpg
First filled up on Shell in Muldental Nord after 741 miles.
  • I30 1.6 CRDi

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Coventry UK - Sosnowiec Poland - 3 persons + full car of diving equipment and bags
I take it that the diving equipment was used for the Channel crossing...
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Coventry UK - Sosnowiec Poland - 3 persons + full car of diving equipment and bags
I take it that the diving equipment was used for the Channel crossing...
along with the one hell of a long snorkel for the car  :rofl:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Jesse91

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Hyundai I30 1.6L SLX
my i30 "Percy" sits on anywhere between 5.1-5.5 and I probably do about 1/3 of that is highway driving with the rest being 60km zones with lights so I am pretty happy still cost me about the same in fuel as my camry that I had running on nos

I am however itching like crazy to see it under 5 and I want to join the 1000km a tank club  :blubber:
  • Hyundai i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

my i30 "Percy" sits on anywhere between 5.1-5.5 and I probably do about 1/3 of that is highway driving with the rest being 60km zones with lights so I am pretty happy still cost me about the same in fuel as my camry that I had running on nos

I am however itching like crazy to see it under 5 and I want to join the 1000km a tank club  :blubber:

I drive mainly on major arterial roads and constantly get 100 kms out of a tank at @ 5.1 to 5.3 so not sure why you're not.
Are you brimming?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 I'd be complaining if I were you, db08.  :fum: :mrgreen:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
You don't miss a trick, do you?
I meant 1,000 kms.  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :lol: That's better.  :goodjob2:

Offline Jesse91

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Hyundai I30 1.6L SLX

I drive mainly on major arterial roads and constantly get 100 kms out of a tank at @ 5.1 to 5.3 so not sure why you're not.
Are you brimming?

No I haven't brimmed it before that must be the secret I'm guessing.. I think I read somewhere on here that you can hold about 60L? Although if you were getting 4.7L per 1000 you would get over 1000km with a 53L tank
  • Hyundai i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal