i30 Owners Club

Shocked ?!

Offline Racedout121

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
Finally took delivery of my brand new i30 1.6 Blue Drive on the 29th Nov.

Love many things about the car and it is generally a pleasure to drive. Still a few little things to get used to, but I have been rather dissappointed with the economy figures being returned thus far ?

Have been through one full tank and a further three-quarters of a tank of diesel .... and only covered a total of 640 miles ???   I am no 'boy racer' and drive quite conservatively.  My driving is a mixture of motorway and in-town commutes.   I was easily expecting a full 800 off of just the first tank of fuel, but not then to add in another three-quarters of a tank and still only be at 640 miles ??   This is way, way down on the figures presented to me about the car !   I had a Kia Ceed for a week before buying the i30 and that did 249 miles on just one quarter of a tank of it's diesel .... As the i30 and Ceed ar near on the same car, I expected very similar results ....

I know that the car is new and has to run in a bit, but this is surely terrible  in comparison to what I have been led to believe I would get ?
  • i30 Blue Drive

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi

As I said in your other post; give it time.

I'm sure the milage will improve when the miles tick in on the odometer.

Many members get 1000+ km per tank, but not when the car is brand new.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
   I had a Kia Ceed for a week before buying the i30 and that did 249 miles on just one quarter of a tank of it's diesel .... As the i30 and Ceed ar near on the same car, I expected very similar results ....

The first quarter of a tank on the gauge is usually very misleading.. had you kept driving the Ceed I am sure it would have started to drop a lot quicker as you covered more ground.. :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I wish all car manufacturers would use a linear fuel sender unit in heir tanks, instead of bottom mounted pivot floats. :(

As others have said, need to put some miles in the clock, and stay under 3k rpm.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
That figure is much much better than mine (9L/100km).  :sweating:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
You need a bigger country with less population, to drive around in.  :winker:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
These are my fuel records for my current Tourer and my previous Hatchback.

I always brim the tank on every refuelling – and I mean absolutely brim it - which can take 10 minutes or more due to fuel frothing. This is the only way to get a true economy figure.

Don’t put too much trust in the fuel gauge or the trip recorder average fuel consumption indicators – they are only a rough guide.  Also be aware that every 200 to 300 miles the DPF will spend about 15 to 20 minutes regenerating – during which time economy plummets. This will effect the overall average quite significantly.

I do a 50/50 mixture of local pottering around town and long motorway/main road journeys.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline PRH79

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hertfordshire
I have had my I30 1.6 diesel blue drive for 16 months - it now has 40,000 miles on the clock.  I am averaging overall about 60 MPG.  Long motorway drives are >70, lots of town driving more like 55.  Its still pretty impressive, I think.  Usually a tank will do me over 800 miles.  Interestingly it doesn't click down the first point on the fuel gauge for about 150 miles, but the last few disappear pretty quickly, so the point about how the fuel gauges work makes sense. I did manage to get the 80MPG mark on one trip from Nottingham to Hatfield (about 100 miles)- traffic meant pretty much 50 all the way, without much slowing down and speeding up - so it is possible to hit the numbers in the specification - but only just! 

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Good post PRH79.

If you ever hit the spec fuel consumption, you're doing exceptionally well, as the spec cars are driven under special conditions to return these figures.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good post PRH79.

If you ever hit the spec fuel consumption, you're doing exceptionally well, as the spec cars are driven under special conditions to return these figures.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

My Hybrid is rated at 5.2 LPH (54.3) overall but I can only average 5.7/5.8 (around 49) Not complaining though  :goodjob:

Unlike a diesel, that was from day one (no "running in" required)

Offline Tourer_Guy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, Australia
Good post PRH79.

I thought that in Australia the standard fuel consumption tests were done on a restrictive dynamometer...?
  • GD i30 Active Tourer CRDi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Don't know about you, but I don't do a lot of restrictive dynamometer driving. :whistler:

The tests are inaccurate, because how would you factor in wind resistance. That is one of the most major contributors to fuel consumption, and one reason why in real life, these figures are rarely achieved.

Offline Tourer_Guy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, Australia
Yep that's exactly the point.

The tests are not done to give an accurate indication of real world fuel use, but rather to provide a means for car buyers to compare potential fuel economy of multiple vehicles.

That said, I used to own a V8 Holden (5.7 litre), and struggled the beat the urban consumption value, yet had no trouble at all beating the urban consumption value of my WRX.  Interesting.

I've generally seen the standard fuel consumption numbers as an aspirational target, not an expected outcome.  That said, I'm going to give the official numbers a red hot try when the new i30 arrives!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I've generally seen the standard fuel consumption numbers as an aspirational target, not an expected outcome.

Unfortunately, some are not so enlightened and are disappointed with their results.

Offline Tourer_Guy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, Australia
I've generally seen the standard fuel consumption numbers as an aspirational target, not an expected outcome.

Unfortunately, some are not so enlightened and are disappointed with their results.

I'm sure it will work out fine.  I've had pretty good results driving for economy in other vehicles, and there's enough anecdotal evidence that the i30 is capable of some genuinely good results when used correctly.

For me it's not even about saving money, it's more the challenge to see how well I can do!  I must admit, though, that the idea of being able to run 1000+ on a tank is very appealing.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm sure it will work out fine.  I've had pretty good results driving for economy in other vehicles, and there's enough anecdotal evidence that the i30 is capable of some genuinely good results when used correctly.

For me it's not even about saving money, it's more the challenge to see how well I can do!  I must admit, though, that the idea of being able to run 1000+ on a tank is very appealing.

Yes, it is very addictive :D

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Don't know about you, but I don't do a lot of restrictive dynamometer driving. :whistler:

The tests are inaccurate, because how would you factor in wind resistance. That is one of the most major contributors to fuel consumption, and one reason why in real life, these figures are rarely achieved.

Phil a modern chasis Dyno  will have load control built in, they have to have it to get accurate air fuel ratio , as no load the air fuel ratio will be out & they can't tune efi accurate with out load control.
but i still prefer engine dyno as more accurate . just lot of trouble removing the motor from what ever.
but i don't know what they use to test imission & economy.
i don't care that much, the CRDi works out good for me except the Hyundai spares pricing is a rip off
( cheap car expensive service parts ) think 5 year warranty is payed for via the service parts LOL

that's what i like about the i30 CRDi Tour Guy, the distance you can go on a full tank. just there is about 10 or 12L difference between filling to the last click & filling to the very Brim, when you are getting 4.5L /100K  on a long trip , that means a lot.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 21:30:18 by Lakes »

Offline peon2t

• 3rd Gear

• ch Switzerland
      Lucerne, Switzerland
Many members get 1000+ km per tank, but not when the car is brand new.

Well, I've done now 10'000 km and I don't feel that my economy has improved much.

During the summer I get 5 l/100km on good weeks (much motorway) and average at about 5,5.

Now, in the winter I'll be again somewhere between 6 and 7, I fear. Right now much closer to 7 than to 6.

That's a bit disappointing when I keep in mind that the car is sold as "3,7" and that I drive quite gently (seldomly over 2000 rpm).

Now of cours I know that this manufacturer figures like "3,7" are not to be taken seriously and that the built in measuring is not 100% accurate. But it remains a fact, that my fathers car is sold as "4,7", not "3,7" like mine and his economy is about the same as mine (if not better) even if he's a harsher driver than me.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
@peon2t,

Switzerland is a very mountainous country, perhaps this is affecting your fuel economy. Where I live a trip from the city, involves a climb of 350 just metres from sea level. What is your altitude and when driving, do you know how much climbing you are doing  :question:

What year / type is you father's car  :question:

Offline peon2t

• 3rd Gear

• ch Switzerland
      Lucerne, Switzerland
@ Phil

I'm not driving up the mountains ;)
Of course there are some gradients here and there but basically I drive in the "flatland".

My fathers car is a VW Golf V Diesel. I think 2008 or maybe 2007. Has a DPF too.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
I think anyone who expects to achieve manufacturers stated economy are deluded, as hinted at in this Thread. Ford say 65 mpg for my car but both my daughter and I have logged very similar figures with very different driving styles. I've been enjoying the car, she's been driving like Miss Daisy.

41.5 for her 40.5 for me.

She has covered 800 miles now and I have covered 400 so both engines may still be tight.

I'm not over fussed, it's not far from what my i30 was giving me but I have some extra benefits with this car.

But  a claimed 65 versus a real world 41 by Ford shows Hyundai are probably more honest with their setting of owners expectations.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Wow! that is a big difference Keith! A thirsty little beast compared to my Hybrid!  :eek:

Mind you, I would be interested to drive one some time  :goodjob:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
It's a fun drive Daz, it goes a long way towards softening the blow!
Wifeys 1.6 is more economical (marginally) That's the Fiesta "Metal" which is tweaked but conventionally aspirated, and feels MUCH heavier and far clumsier than mine does, especially driven back to back. I'll retry an economy run after a few k miles just to revisit it and update cos I agree.... It's WAAAY short!
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

There is a lot of appeal of appeal in a zippy little car that handles well.. Even the '86 ML Barina and more recently, our 1.6 Ltr 2006 Getz were fun to drive!  :happydance:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal