Oil In Exhaust?

KylieR · 64 · 13289

Offline KylieR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Bendigo, Victoria
    • MyWinterStorm83
Hey there,

I have a 15 month old Hyundai i30 which I adore, but today I had a bit of an issue with it and since the people at Symes Motors (where I bought it from) haven't ever seen this particular problem before, I thought I'd join this site and see if others have experienced the same issue.

This morning, I was driving at low speed, about to turn right, when the front left side wheel just seemed to collapse. There was a 'boom' sound, and I thought the wheel had exploded. I had a very hard time trying to right the car again. At high speed, I wouldn't have had a chance.
When I looked at the damage, I could see that the wheel was damaged, given the hissing of air, and the rim was also damaged. I took the car straight to Symes and the boys there checked it over, but when they took the car for a test drive after fitting the rim back on and replacing the wheel, the car started spewing thick, black smoke.

They discovered that oil was pouring into the exhaust, a problem which they say is completely unrelated to the wheel collapse. It seems that the wheel collapse could have triggered something with the engine, as they say that they believe its an engine problem, and are getting in contact with Hyundai as they have never seen this sort of thing with this particular car before.

The car has been serviced only twice before, and given the fact it is brand new, I shouldn't have such a massive problem with it.
It is a warranty problem, they say, and therefore I do not have to worry about the expense incurred.

I am curious as to whether someone has experienced the same issue, and if so, what was the problem and how was it fixed?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi Kyle - welcome to the forum, albeit under such tragic circumstances.

Never heard of such a thing happening before, nor have I read about it on our forums.

Since your mechs seem to think it's a warranty fix, there's a suggestion that they know exactly what the problem is.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Hi and welcome.

Wonder with the collapse something within the engine has ruptured causing this.

Are you still driving it?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Are we talking petrol or diesel. :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Did you accompany them on the test drive - if not - maybe it was the result of something that happened then.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi KylieR

:wttc:

I used to work as a service manager at a VW/Skoda dealer for 9 years, but have never heard of anything like this before.

Looking forward to hear the verdict.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcum: That is a weird one!  :wacko:

Please keep us updated..

Neither fault is common and can't really see how they could be related!  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline KylieR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Bendigo, Victoria
    • MyWinterStorm83
Hey guys, thanks for the responses.

They believe it must be a warranty problem because with the oil pouring into the exhaust, its got nothing to do with whether I hit something. They think something must have come loose, or snapped, that wasn't put on properly. They are as confused as I am!

It runs on petrol, and I am not driving it - too dangerous. To be honest, if they give me another car to drive while mine is being fixed, I don't think I will be comfortable driving. I am still shaken by the thought that if it happened five minutes earlier, I probably wouldn't be typing this.

I didn't go with the guy on the test drive, which is when the car started spewing black smoke and the problem with the oil was discovered. I just sat inside the building shaking, no way could I have gotten into the car with anyone.

I should hear back tomorrow as to how its coming along. Hopefully its just a small problem that is easily fixed.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Do keep us posted, as this is a one off type of problem and we'd like to know what it is. :Shocked:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Was there any suspension problems?

I had what we think was a bit of rio punched in through the sidewall and out through the rim the result was instant deflation.

A bit of fun at 120km/h but the rest of the car was ok.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :wttc:
Please keep us posted.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline KylieR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Bendigo, Victoria
    • MyWinterStorm83
I will certainly keep you all posted as to what the problem was, as I know that other i30 owners may wish to inspect their own cars. Hopefully it isn't a fault, that would be terrible. Its such a great car!

No suspension problems that we know of. We have no idea what caused the wheel to collapse. I could have run into something during the time the wheel collapsed and getting it back on the road - if I did crash into something, like a drainage ditch, I wouldn't have known it. We have been out to check the area and there is nothing I could have run into, so we are going with some kind of suspension problem that may have triggered this other problem.

I was trying to find a photo to post of my car, but I am unable to find it. I shall keep searching. :)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Did they replace the rim?

If they didn't replace or fix anything in the suspension, then it would be unlikely the problem is there.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'm a bit confused about your original post.
      When I looked at the damage, I could see that the wheel was damaged, given the hissing of air, and the rim was also damaged. I took the car straight to Symes and the boys there checked it over, but when they took the car for a test drive after fitting the rim back on and replacing the wheel,   
The "wheel" and "rim" are basically the same thing ie. The metal disc that the tyre fits on. I'm assuming when you talk about the rim was damaged and the hissing of air, that it was actually the tyre (rubber) which was leaking.
So, I'm picturing a damaged tyre and rim which I think from your post that both were replaced. There's two things here. One is that, to cause that sort of damage, the wheel and tyre must have hit something on the road, It's not uncommon and that was probably the loud noise you herads.
The second point is that if they refitted the tyre (which I think you're calling the "rim") to a new wheel, then I would be very cautious about the condition of that tyre if it suffered an impact serious enough to damage the wheel. And if both tyre and wheel have been replaced, I'd be getting the suspension checked very carefully on that side of the car and a wheel alignment.

In my opinion, the smoke from the engine is totally unrelated and just a horrible co-incidence. And I'll be interested to know what they find.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Piston rings shot?

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Seems more likely that oil would be spewing onto the exaust. I did an Auto line in the Falcon, and that made for some fairly impressive smoke.

I wonder if the bump that killed the rim and tyre also dislodged something?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Good thought beerman.  :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good thought beerman.  :goodjob2:

:whsaid:

Offline KylieR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Bendigo, Victoria
    • MyWinterStorm83
I'm a bit confused about your original post.
      When I looked at the damage, I could see that the wheel was damaged, given the hissing of air, and the rim was also damaged. I took the car straight to Symes and the boys there checked it over, but when they took the car for a test drive after fitting the rim back on and replacing the wheel,   
The "wheel" and "rim" are basically the same thing ie. The metal disc that the tyre fits on. I'm assuming when you talk about the rim was damaged and the hissing of air, that it was actually the tyre (rubber) which was leaking.
So, I'm picturing a damaged tyre and rim which I think from your post that both were replaced. There's two things here. One is that, to cause that sort of damage, the wheel and tyre must have hit something on the road, It's not uncommon and that was probably the loud noise you herads.
The second point is that if they refitted the tyre (which I think you're calling the "rim") to a new wheel, then I would be very cautious about the condition of that tyre if it suffered an impact serious enough to damage the wheel. And if both tyre and wheel have been replaced, I'd be getting the suspension checked very carefully on that side of the car and a wheel alignment.

In my opinion, the smoke from the engine is totally unrelated and just a horrible co-incidence. And I'll be interested to know what they find.

My bad. I do not know cars that well so when I refer to the wheel, I mean the tyre as to me, they are the same thing.
They have replaced the tyre, fixed the rim, although I may need a new one, and they have done a wheel alignment.
They haven't said anything about a suspension problem yet as I assume this new problem is what they are focusing on. I may have hit something after the front of the car collapsed, I cannot remember.

They haven't heard back from Hyundai yet so can't tell me what the problem is. They also tell me that they have three hire cars and all are taken, so I don't have a car to get to work tomorrow.

I know its not the fault of the dealer that my car is being repaired, and since they believe its a warranty issue, it isn't my fault either, but I need a car. I have to work and a taxi will cost me a fortune as I live outside of town.

What is the usual thing done in cases like this? Does the dealer have to provide me with a hire car free of charge, or can I hire one myself and claim compensation from the dealer, or Hyundai themselves?
I'm happy with the way they have kept in contact with me, can't fault them on that, but fact is, I need a car or I can't pay my bills.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Unfortunately under the terms of the warranty they are not responsible for incidental loss, so any hire cars or taxis are at your own expense....

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Ahh here it is....

LIMITATION OF LIABILITY:
Subject to that allowable by law, the customer will bear the expense of claiming the warranty.
Hyundai shall not be liable for any consequential loss, indirect loss, economic loss, loss of revenue or special loss which are not
reasonably foreseeable, that may arise from any defect of a vehicle.

Though nothing stops you leaning on the dealer a bit harder. But from the sound of it, they are doing the right thing by you. Most dealers would have looked at the busted tyre and rim and quoted...

GENERAL EXEMPTIONS

2) Defects which are caused by or attributable to negligent or careless driving, accident or improper use of the vehicle.

But as Surferdude said, If the tyre and rim have suffered that kind of damage, best to chuck the spare on and use that, it would then be up to you to decide if you were happy to use that rim as a spare, or replace it with one of the many on offer on Ebay.

Offline KylieR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Bendigo, Victoria
    • MyWinterStorm83
We will likely end up getting a new rim, as they have suggested. Its still slightly buckled and they recommend just getting a new one anyway, as well as the new tyre, which I have said I am happy to do, and its what I expected.

I just didn't expect not to be provided with a car to drive in the meantime. I have no choice but to skip work tomorrow due to lack of a car, and if it is a problem with the car, then I believe Hyundai, who made the car, should be liable, as its their fault the car is stuck at the mechanic.

The dealer has been awesome, though. Still have no clue what is wrong with it, they said they will call me tomorrow morning with an answer, so fingers crossed...

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

We will likely end up getting a new rim, as they have suggested. Its still slightly buckled and they recommend just getting a new one anyway, as well as the new tyre, which I have said I am happy to do, and its what I expected.

Put a claim into the road authority as not adequate maintained

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Based on what evidence.  :exclaim:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Pot hole?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Or if not them to the tyre manufacturer for defective tyre

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Probably not defective if the rim was damaged.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Probably not defective if the rim was damaged.

Senario:
Pot hole.
Car wheel runs over pot hole and jagged edge of same causes tyre to blow from an already defective tyre.
Defective tyre blows.
Rapid deflation.
Wheel rim catches edge of pot hole.
Wheel becomes buckled and rim edge defaced.

As I said previous, due to rapid deflation some part within engine is dislodged causing oil to enter  combustion chamber.

Oil from exhaust.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Kylie, might be time for some tears, a shorter skirt, a bigger smile or a combination of all three.. I'm sure they must have a spare car of some sort! Tell them you have to get to work and anything will do!

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Bike?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal