i30 Owners Club

Rust!! ... And a dent!

Offline wkristen

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
I see rust forming!.... My i30 is nearly 4 years old and rust is developing at the base of the rear window, underneath the glass. It's only a small amount at the moment - but the car is shy of only being 4 years old! What the hell!

Has any one else had this problem so soon in their car's life? I'm highly considering taking it back to Hyundai (bought it second hand from Toyota). But anyone else who has read my posts will know, my warranty was void thanks to the rental company that owned the car before me. My contract with Toyota states that they will pay for faults that normally Hyundai would pay for under the new car warranty. Not sure what to expect.

Also, I've recently discovered a dent in my drivers side door, near the handle. I haven't had any car accidents or serious bumps for it to be me. It's like whoever drove the car previous to me has hit the door with a decent force into something else. The paint covers it up, but the dent is still there and isn't flush with the rest of the car. The paint also feels rough, like its beginning to bubble or something. All in all, I'm already considering trading the car in before I lose too much money on it at such an early stage of owning it.
  • i30 Active SX FD MY11

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I see rust forming!.... My i30 is nearly 4 years old and rust is developing at the base of the rear window, underneath the glass. It's only a small amount at the moment - but the car is shy of only being 4 years old! What the hell!

Has any one else had this problem so soon in their car's life? I'm highly considering taking it back to Hyundai (bought it second hand from Toyota). But anyone else who has read my posts will know, my warranty was void thanks to the rental company that owned the car before me. My contract with Toyota states that they will pay for faults that normally Hyundai would pay for under the new car warranty. Not sure what to expect.

Also, I've recently discovered a dent in my drivers side door, near the handle. I haven't had any car accidents or serious bumps for it to be me. It's like whoever drove the car previous to me has hit the door with a decent force into something else. The paint covers it up, but the dent is still there and isn't flush with the rest of the car. The paint also feels rough, like its beginning to bubble or something. All in all, I'm already considering trading the car in before I lose too much money on it at such an early stage of owning it.
Kristen,I haven't heard of anyone complaining of rust before especially on a four year old car,but being a hire car,you never really know how it has been treated,or whether it spent a lot of it's life right next to the seaside,this will bring out early rust spots,with your car you never know,I service one of mine today and was reading the warranty conditions,paint and body are only covered for two years,but it would not hurt to go back to Hyundai and ask the question,tell them you have access to talking to hundreds of I30 owners and just add you haven't heard of these little cars rusting this early in the life.

As for the dent in the door,this could have happened anywhere in a carpark by someone else,sometimes you never notice a small dent straight away,last time I was Cyril I found a dent in  to roof and one in the passenger door,both dents if you look at the car from certain directions you can not see either of them,but when viewed from other angles,you can indeed see them.

I certainly wouldn't give up on the car because of a couple of minor issues,which by the sounds of it could be fixed with a few hundred dollars,but I would be posing the question to Hyundai about the rust,never hurts to ask.

Let us know how you get on other than these issues how is the car going.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Re-reading your posts, I see you mentioned Toyota will pay for "servicing" e.g. cover mechanical, but no mention of bodywork for rust. I wish you luck, because I think you're going to need it.

The door handle dent is not an issue you can mention to Toyota. The car was purchased as inspected at the time.

Here is your previous post.

Hi all! First car questions

• 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline wkristen

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Bugger. I must pull out that contract and peruse. Looks like I'm stuffed then... Rust is baaaaaad
  • i30 Active SX FD MY11

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Bugger. I must pull out that contract and peruse. Looks like I'm stuffed then... Rust is baaaaaad

Not good but might be very early stages (surface rust) and easy to fix. Try Toyota first, then if they aren't helpful try Hyundai next.

No need to panic just yet!  :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Quite frankly if there is money to be lost, you've already lost it, so you might as well drive the car.

Being that the car is second hand, you don't know the vehicle's history hence you don't know if the vehicle was in a minor accident and poorly repaired by the previous owner.

I don't recall how long ago you bought the car, but it would be worthwhile discussing the defects with the dealer you bought them from.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Quite frankly if there is money to be lost, you've already lost it, so you might as well drive the car.

Being that the car is second hand, you don't know the vehicle's history hence you don't know if the vehicle was in a minor accident and poorly repaired by the previous owner.

I don't recall how long ago you bought the car, but it would be worthwhile discussing the defects with the dealer you bought them from.

May 1 2013 beerman.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
my warranty was void thanks to the rental company that owned the car before me...

Missed the memo, how so?? I bought my Getz from Hertz and got the remaining warranty.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
my warranty was void thanks to the rental company that owned the car before me...

Missed the memo, how so?? I bought my Getz from Hertz and got the remaining warranty.

The rental company skipped some of the servicing. Its first Hyundai service was at 36000k's, apparently....  :undecided:

Offline wkristen

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Yup it was rustynutz. Has only ever had three main recorded services in its lifetime
  • i30 Active SX FD MY11

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Can you post a photo of the rust..?

My i30 is 6+ y/o now and I discovered 3 minor rust spots on the tailgate last year. I'm sure it's from stone chips.

Grinded it down and painted it with on of those touch up paints bought at the local Hyundai dealer.

All 3 spots was about 6mm diameter when I spotted them.

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
But.... Why go ahead and buy a car with a long Warranty that has been voided, then complain that it's not covered?

I apologize in advance if I'm missing something critical here but it must have been bought at a really low cost, I would hope so anyway, but as for losing faith in the brand because of a previous users possible neglect...

Really?
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
But would they know the warranty was void when they went to look at prior to buying?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
If you do your homework yes.
I bought mine used from a non Hy dealer and noticed there was no Service documentation with it.
I queried that and the dealer obtained a copy document from Hy based on Invoice copies the Dealership had. If you don't know what to ask for and look for then you are an easy target for unscrupulous dealers.
I mean everyone knows the Warranty depends on a full Service History don't they?

But as I said... If I'm missing something I apologize in advance...
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
But would they know the warranty was void when they went to look at prior to buying?

All is revealed if you check out the link Phil posted way back in reply 2..... :winker:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
eye yes kristen came here first and asked many questions we told her all them possible pro's and con's and on Toyota giving assurance's they would cover the remainder of the warranty,she bought the car.

But I am assuming kristen did not follow up with all the conditions of new car warranty and what time periods applied to what area's of the car,like asterix said if rust is caused bu an outside media it would not be covered by warranty anyhow,with kristens blanket statement get rid of the car now before she looses to much money(that boat has already sailed)I think this is an over reaction to a very small problem,like asterix also said get the minor repairs done and enjoy the car for years to come
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

This is a general comment re buying a car not specifically pointed a k.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Yeah, just get a body shop to look at the car, and see how bad the rust is. More often then not, rust can be sanded off and repainted, or small areas of rust can be cut off and new metal welded to the panel and grinded down and repainted. Not always a big expense.
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal