Diesel efficiency

TheReaper · 52 · 15804

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!
You will see an advantage either in a new or used one. The added advantage of buying used is that the depreciation has been almost taken care of by the first owner, making it more affordable to get into the model you want.

I was fortunate to mention that I work in the education sector, as Hyundai (at the time) were doing fleet prices for anyone working in education. I don't know if that is still the case, but it knocked about $5,000 right of the sticker price. Only thing is I don't have a capped service plan, and the warranty is 160,000Km/5Yr whichever comes first.
Although, looking at the Hyundai Australia website, it indicates the warranty even in fleet vehicles is unlimited Km. Might do some querying!
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Offline Bushy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mordialloc, Victoria

• 2013 i30 Elite Tourer CRDI Auto "Cool Red"
I have just clocked up 2000km in my car.  Filled up four times and averaging 6.6 l/100km.  Have returned the following figures:
6.6 l/100km - about 50/50 highway and city.  Quite a bit of city driving was short trips.
7.0 l/100km - mostly city driving (70%) with two trips of 30km each way to city in peak hour heavy traffic. 
6.3 l/100km - same profile as the first one.

Hopefully I am seeing signs of the fuel consumption improving as I put more kms on the clock.

Overall I am very happy with the fuel consumption.  Taking the car up country to Eildon over Easter, which will include a drive up and over the Black Spur between Healesville and Buxton.  Looking forward to see how well she performs up the winding mountain road as my last car (a four cylinder Camry) was a bit of a dog on that sort of road.
  • 2013 i30 Tourer Elite CRDI 1.6L D Auto Red

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
That's right on par for the amount of k's. It will drop to about 5.9 at around 5000km and 5.2-5.4 at 8000km and is where I sit currently
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline Perspective owner

• 2nd Gear
Went today and test drove a i30 CRDi Trophy. Not interested in the Trophy but the drive and handling is what I wanted to test. Pretty impressed. Smooth acceleration and if you gave it to it, it would give back. Handling was firm I found. Adjusted the settings (normal, comfort, sport) didn't see a drastic difference, but I prefer a firmer handling with good feedback anyway so didn't bug me.

All in all quite a good ride
  • i30 GD2

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Sounds like a fun time was had. What's next  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

• 2nd Gear
Still wanting to keep my options open. Want to have a look at the Focus and Cruze, although from what I can see for options the i30 is better. But would like to try and have a drive of those two.
  • i30 GD2

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Still wanting to keep my options open. Want to have a look at the Focus and Cruze, although from what I can see for options the i30 is better. But would like to try and have a drive of those two.

:TutTut: Only joking (but fairly confident you will choose the i30 after driving all three)  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
And just an fyi. Its technically a Daewoo rebranded

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

he means the cruse (not the i30)

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
That's what I meant with the cruze, sorry that post was vague

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
well i had to drive 70k as wanted a better vacuum cleaner. also needed to go to ALDI, well the fuel light was on so i filled her to the top, i was re setting the trip but re set the L/100k as that was showing not the trip, before it had been a while since i reset the L/100K & it was showing 5.1L/100K & i don't drive that slow . car has 66k up now. anyway it's double points this weekend plus lot of lost sole's on the roads  :rofl: . so was watching the speed when i got 70 k was showing 4.3L/100K air temp was 23c . i got a vacuum cleaner, & saw the Hy dealer just up road so walked up & they had a new i30 SR but was auto, i was looking & salesman showed up told me to hop in take a good look. i loved the leather power adjustable drivers seat. i told him i loved it but worried the petrol motor would not have the Torque to pull the hill's we have in the area. he said this 2L motor is faster has a lot of Torque he went & got brochure pointed out 209nm TQ i pointed out the little 1.6 diesel has 260nm he got a shock . CRDi 1.6 260nm @ 1,900 to 2,750 , 2.0L petrol 209nm@ 4,700 . if you look at the power its 94kw @ 4000 for the 1.6 CRDi & 129kw @ 6,500 for the 2.0L petrol. But how many KW is the 2.0L petrol making @ 4000 thats what i'd like to know i never rev past about 3,500 in my CRDi & mostly below 3,000. another thing i don't like is the fact the keyless entry & push button start stop you loose the lock on the glove box. now there is one thing i hate and thats not having a lock on the glove box. i lock my clove box.
when i got home 140k from fill up trip pc reading 4.5L/100K so happy as lot of cars on road lot of big hill's & cold mix roads 100kph speeds

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Having recently moved house, my daily drive now has more open roads (before I hit the metro traffic) and my fuel economy has changed from @ 5.2l/100 kms when I lived in the metro to now @ 4,7-4.8/100 kms.
I used to fill up once a week, now it seems to be about every five days.
The car is loving the freeway runs, the only real issue being road noise.  :(
When the original tyres (Nexens) finally wear out (now done 63,000 kms), I'll fit a set of Continentals then I won't give one.  :D
  • Tertius the i30

• 2nd Gear

How so? Engine? Drive train? Pardon my ignorance... :(
  • i30 GD2

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I think the Cruse started life as a Daewoo body and drivetrain but had major tweaks by GM since then ... I will add a link to Wiki which might tell us more.

Daewoo Lacetti in Korea...

Chevrolet Cruze - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• 2nd Gear

I think the Cruse started life as a Daewoo body and drivetrain but had major tweaks by GM since then ... I will add a link to Wiki which might tell us more.

Daewoo Lacetti in Korea...

Chevrolet Cruze - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for that. Personally I think the Cruze look a whole lot better then the Daewoo!
  • i30 GD2

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Not sure about Cruise as never driven one or been in one. but the Diesel Focus fly's, my friends wife has had two they have a bigger motor than the i30 CRDi, but they use more fuel, still would blow the i30 off easy, just can only get them auto now. i almost bought a Focus Diesel 6 speed manual in 2008. but it stalled easy don't know why, it road very smooth performed strong, had a better gear shift, but seemed to have a flat spot off idle & would stall. so went with i30 CRDi never looked back. but my friend got a 09 focus diesel did 200,000k loved it got the new focus diesel auto last year its a titanium. they love it.they have 80,000k up already no problems. but ,,,,, no lock on glove box  :disapp:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
And the blinker stalk is on the wrong side....  :p

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Rusty the 08 to about 2010? Focus had stork on left side , but the new Focus has in same as i30 ( they changed with the new model ) take a look.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@ John, I drove a Cruse Diesel when they first came out. Felt reasonably strong but not as responsive to the accelerator as the FD i30 IMHO. Plus they are very claustrophobic inside (both Trish and I found that)  :fum:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Rusty the 08 to about 2010? Focus had stork on left side , but the new Focus has in same as i30 ( they changed with the new model ) take a look.

That's good to know, John...hopefully they do the same with their other European sourced vehicles....  :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
@ John, I drove a Cruse Diesel when they first came out. Felt reasonably strong but not as responsive to the accelerator as the FD i30 IMHO. Plus they are very claustrophobic inside (both Trish and I found that)  :fum:

I drove one before buying my GD but as they couldn't offer a manual diesel it wasn't of much use to me.
They are a bit claustrophobic inside too. I know what you mean.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Haha, funny. I didn't test drive a cruze before getting the GD, but sat in one. My response was, "yeah, nah" :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal