i30 Owners Club

I30 Diesel, non starter after service and MOT.

Guest · 42 · 11647

Vance61
 :undecided: Hello all, this is my maiden post on the forum and unfortunately it relates to my trusty 1.6 CRDi letting me down.
It went into the dealer for it's annual service & MOT. I had also purchased new tyres all round. No problems were found, with the car returned to my home by the dealer, brilliant stuff? That was until the next day when all I got was a 'click' . I checked the battery fuses, all the usual which were ok. Had help with a push start & it fired up, gave it a run, turned it off. It then started by the key a couple of times so I thought, "sorted" Next day 'click', dealer has now recovered it the the workshop.
Awaiting the results (and cost) Sorry to go on but anyone else had these issues? seems odd I have 3 years trouble free, but when it comes back it doesn't start.
Thank you.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Yes sounds very odd,hope it's only a battery,do you have one of those new fangelled gel batteries,there has been issues with them.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Yeah my battery gave out at three and a bit years.... dint wother with Hy...   Went to the shop bought meself a decent battery for 60'ish UKP's voila, job sorted..

Good luck with yours  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Also sounds like battery to me. Diesel batteries usually need a larger amount of CCA's to turn over due to the higher compression and the initial glow-plug heatup sequence when the engine is cold.

Some battery manufacturers here in ZA make the same size batteries but they provide more Cold Cranking Amps to aid starting on cold morning. You could give that a go perhaps if the price difference isn't too big?
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Did the dealer do a battery check as part of the service.

Mine does and tells me its condition as to whether A ok or whatever.

Wonder if battery had been disconected and not tightened up.......as this could account for the clicking noise as if it was flat....
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Vance61
Thanks for the suggestions, my feeling was battery or starter solenoid. Just looked at the service sheet from last Thursday, no mention of any problems with the battery or charging system.
The dealer sent some guys to try and start it with a booster, no luck there. They have now collected it by truck and have it overnight. Hope to get it back tomorrow.
I have read on here that a few other owners have had the starting problem with their diesels! I wonder if there is a common fault at play here? Really annoying as I try to keep my I30 well maintained, serviced on schedule by the dealer, new tyres etc. never let me down until it was delivered back to me after the dealer had it.
I will report back when I hopefully get it back tomorrow.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Is it blue drive?

If so reports of battey problems

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Is it blue drive?

It's a 2007 Lester...  :whistler:

Vance, I reckon they left  the ignition on while they did their checks and stuff.. Just enough to finish the battery off, maybe.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Is it blue drive?

Vance, I reckon they left  the ignition on while they did their checks and stuff.. Just enough to finish the battery off, maybe.

They say 3 years trouble free so maybe 2011

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
2nd owner most likely.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Is it blue drive?

They say 3 years trouble free so maybe 2011

Says 2007 in his signature (you taking your tablet again!)  :whistler: (Guessing you are on tapatalk)

Offline Berber

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham

Offline Indalsman

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      Sundsvall
If you turn the key to start and repeat it a lots of times really quickly does it work then?

That click you heard was it one click or a lots of fast clicks?

I have changed a starter on a car which acted liked your car.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :Agoodpost:

Correct, if 1 click, that will be the starter solenoid engaging the drive gear into the ring gear, but not turning. You can have a fully charged battery but the starter won't turn, because the brushes inside the starter motor are not making electrical contact due to wear, they would need replacing. They are not expensive, but the dismantling etc, is.

If many clicks, then the starter motor is fine, but the battery is faulty or loosely connected to the wiring creating a high resistance and is unable to turn the starter motor.

As a matter of interest, after cranking, if you check the battery posts with your hand, they should always be cold to touch. If heat is present then you have a bad contact and cleaning is required, this applies to any electrical connection on our cars and should be checked by all owners periodically.

ALWAYS WASH HANDS IMMEDIATELY AFTERWARDS, BATTERIES CONTAIN ACID !!!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 23:07:09 by Phil №❶ »

Vance61
Morning all.
Update on the non starting issue with my I30. The dealer picked it up by truck and checked the whole of the ignition system. They put the battery on a tester, performed high load tests etc. final conclusion, it WAS the battery.
It held a charge up to the point of cranking, then only registered 5amps of cranking power. They put a new battery on, (genuine Hyundai) cost £74, no charge for all the checks etc, unfortunately they also charged me to get the car back to them! I have pointed out to them that as part of the service a battery check was done, so how come they didn't find the fault then? The last person to drive it was their bloke when he delivered it back, up until that day it had never even turned over slowly no matter what the weather.
Now in negotiation with the boss to try and get that part of my money back.
Car now purring along nicely again, think I will give it an extra polish this weekend :honk:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the update Vance..  :fingers: on the refund...

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :whsaid: :goodjob2:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

RESULT

Surely the pick up should be covered under the service as it would appear they did not perform all health checks as per hy requirements

Vance61
My argument exactly. While I have a used I30 that I bought from them, my wife bought a new I20 and 2 previous cars from the dealer going back 12 years. I pointed out how much we have spent and our loyalty over the years.
The dealer owner is quite approachable so hopefully he will see reason. :Touch:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

My argument exactly. While I have a used I30 that I bought from them, my wife bought a new I20 and 2 previous cars from the dealer going back 12 years. I pointed out how much we have spent and our loyalty over the years.
The dealer owner is quite approachable so hopefully he will see reason. :Touch:

Are you reasonably close to the garage?

Vance61
Hello Saracen.
I am around 15 minute drive away on a good day, up to 45 minutes in the early evening  :groan:

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
While I have a used I30 that I bought from them, my wife bought a new I20 and 2 previous cars from the dealer going back 12 years. I pointed out how much we have spent and our loyalty over the years.
The dealer owner is quite approachable so hopefully he will see reason.

I bought a new i30 & my Wife a new i20 on the same day.

The purchasing Dealer's dire, inept service over the 4 years is well documented here, and is worse than useless. They have carried out all the Servicing on each vehicle.
Despite their attempts they now cannot fix a simple i20 rear transmission noise.
And so the saga with our local Hyundai dealers continues......

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Hello Saracen.
I am around 15 minute drive away on a good day, up to 45 minutes in the early evening  :groan:

So approx 10/15 miles.........
I would be like to see them do the decent thing and give you the pick up FOC especially as you have put a bit of business their way.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

While I have a used I30 that I bought from them, my wife bought a new I20 and 2 previous cars from the dealer going back 12 years. I pointed out how much we have spent and our loyalty over the years.
The dealer owner is quite approachable so hopefully he will see reason.

I bought a new i30 & my Wife a new i20 on the same day.

The purchasing Dealer's dire, inept service over the 4 years is well documented here, and is worse than useless. They have carried out all the Servicing on each vehicle.
Despite their attempts they now cannot fix a simple i20 rear transmission noise.
And so the saga with our local Hyundai dealers continues......

:disapp:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :disapp: as well.

Vance61
Hi all
Just had an email from the owner of the dealership regarding the charge for transporting my I30 after it was delivered back and wouldn't start.
He checked with the workshop and found they didn't do a full battery test as it was a "silver" service. As my car was low mileage it didn't need a full service this time. They checked it for condition and security only. :neutral:
He did however concede that their checks and MOT probably drained and was the last straw for an already faulty battery.
In light of that, whilst not refunding the recovery cost in the form of a refund, he has offered to deduct the cost from my next service or repair. As I said he is very approachable and takes customer care very seriously.
Not too bad a result I think. :wink:
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions :thanx:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

i only average 4.5k miles per year now and no mention to me of a reduced service.

Well a RESULT in that it will be deducted at next service.

Just make sure they do not inflate the price to recoup some of the charge.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:whsaid:

But a fair compromise just the same ..  :goodjob:

Vance61
Pretty fair I think too. I will certainly make sure they don't try to bump up the price, however that leads me to another question, my dealer offers a fixed price scale of servicing, always quotes the price to include VAT.
These quotes are either for the manufacturers required service while in warranty or on a scale of engine size & mileage for cars out of warranty. All the prices are on their website so it's pretty clear, if any extra parts,(pads, plugs etc) they do not charge for fitting & call first to explain. They always give it a wash & vacuum for free. Saying that I have not needed any parts, (except the bloody battery) since the warranty ended. They operate a collection/delivery service, will take you and collect you from home or work, or loan you car if you need to be mobile.
Despite the issue with the battery, it's one of the reasons I have stayed with this dealer.

Do other Hyundai dealers do the same or maybe even more?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

My dealer offers the same as yours.

I take a loan car, free of charge, just replace fuel used plus insurance for its use is covered on my policy.

Previous cars i have had, they ring up to explain additional parts and the options.  Usually fit as part of cost especially if they have already dismantled, eg brake pads.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal