i30 Owners Club

Anyone know how to get the surround from around the gearstick gaiter ?

Lorian · 8 · 2624

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Yes.

It has been on here.

From memory there are clips  which you can feel if you feel around the  cover on the left and right side looking forward.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Yes.

It has been on here.

From memory there are clips  which you can feel if you feel around the  cover on the left and right side looking forward.

:whsaid:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Thanks all, it did just pry up from the back.

My notchy issue was being caused by the gear link cable bracket on the top of the gearbox having not been tightened back up properly, which would have been when the clutch was replaced.

Anyway, it looked like the cables had never been lubricated since build. So I lubed them with high-temp silicon grease each end (and the ball on the bottom of the stick). It has made a major improvement to the general smoothness of the shift action, and so easy to do. Just need to take the air intake and airbox off to get easy access (4 x 10mm bolts). the Rubber boots on the cables will pull back fro access (gearbox end).

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Anyway, it looked like the cables had never been lubricated since build. So I lubed them with high-temp silicon grease each end (and the ball on the bottom of the stick). It has made a major improvement to the general smoothness of the shift action, and so easy to do. Just need to take the air intake and airbox off to get easy access (4 x 10mm bolts). the Rubber boots on the cables will pull back fro access (gearbox end).

Maybe this is something to take a look at in my old i30, not that the gearchange is bad but improvement is allways welcome.  :D
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Subbed :mrgreen:

I need to do this too as my lever is a bit squeaky. I haven't found that pesky mouse yet...
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I should say if you do it its easy to pull the pins out of the connectors on the gear selector ends of the cables too, clean the washers,spindles plates and lube them too. Dont need tools to do that. Remember to use rubber and plastic friendly grease. 

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal