i30 Owners Club

Incorrect speedometer readings.

WxmJax · 36 · 8585

Offline WxmJax

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North of Watford
Not sure which would be closer to actual speed but I was using my Nokia phone GPS sat nav and while that was reading 73mph the car's speedometer was saying 80mph.  Tyres haven't been changed (195/65/15) so can't factor that in.
  • 2013 GD 1.6 110ps man diesel estate.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I'm sure Speedo's are set with a + tollerance of circa 10% so yours will be about right.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
There all set to read faster than what you are actually doing to keep you within the limits of the law but your's does appear to be further out than most I've seen "7mph ( 11kph ) difference".

At 100kph ( 62mph ) my vehicle is out about 3 to 4kph ( 2mph )

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Sounds like You have one of the older FD poverty packs,or new GD active I think they call them,with the stock steel wheels,Cycril when I first bought him he was the same was actually 11kph slow,as it has been said all new cars since the ninties have been made with a safety buffer of up to 10 to 11 percent, but most are around the 5 percent mark
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline WxmJax

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North of Watford
No, it's a 2012 GD 1.6 diesel blue active estate with alloys. Just been out now and it's reading (speedo/sat nav) 30/27, 40/36, 50/45, 60/54. Tyres are set at 32psi.

Now edited as I put the figures the wrong way around, the speedo was always the higher mph figure.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 17:36:19 by WxmJax »
  • 2013 GD 1.6 110ps man diesel estate.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Would be more fair if it was km/h..  :mrgreen:

All readings are 10% off so believe it's all legal, however not desirable.

It's probably a necessity to avoid a claim from the U.S. of A legal system. Can you believe the outrage it would be if an innocent American was speeding because the car wasn't showing fast enough.... :question:  :sweating:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

:link: What is the tolerance allowed by law for speedometer accuracy? in the uk?

ACPO Guidelines on speeding, and the UK law regarding prosecution.

Vehicle construction and use regulations require a vehicle speedometer accuracy to be in the range of -0->+10%.

The implications are that it must never under-read - for obvious reasons - but may over-read.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Not sure which would be closer to actual speed but I was using my Nokia phone GPS sat nav and while that was reading 73mph the car's speedometer was saying 80mph.  Tyres haven't been changed (195/65/15) so can't factor that in.

Yeah mine is similar, I can safely do 35'ish on the car speedo and know that I am not gonna be flashed by the speeding cam...   :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 09:48:43 by asathorny »

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Yeah mine is similar, I can safely do 35 on the car speedo and know that I am not gonna be flashed by the speeding cam...   :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:
Have you actually put this to the test by passing at 35 past a camera?

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Yeah mine is similar, I can safely do 35 on the car speedo and know that I am not gonna be flashed by the speeding cam...   :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Couple of times inadvertently, and thank heavens 'it's true'   :rofl: :rofl: :goodjob: :goodjob: :rofl: :rofl: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Couple of times inadvertently, and thank heavens 'it's true'   :rofl: :rofl: :goodjob: :goodjob: :rofl: :rofl: :goodjob: :goodjob:
Next time you are over my way i'll take you past 3 new gatso camera's and you can see if these are set at 35 mph

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I never said that the CAMERAS where set at 35 Lester, what the hell have you been drinking  :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: asathorny
I never said that the CAMERAS where set at 35 Lester, what the hell have you been drinking

Maybe he's on speed :whistler:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
To answer the original question, GPS readings are far more accurate.
:link: How accurate is a GPS-based speedometer? | GPS Systems
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
As stated in every GPS manual, neither does the manufacturer of GPS devices guarantee their accuracy.

GPS works by receiving signals from up above and then (using a shortened form of Windows), performs calculations to determine all the information provided. There is a delay, so the readings are never going to be "real time". Due to distance, even the time is actually 4 to 5 hundred milliseconds late.

That said, GPS's are generally more accurate that a purpose designed, erroneous speedo. I've always hated this concept, the speedo should be deadly accurate and if you go over the limit, expect to get pinged IMO. I am quite capable of managing a car's speed.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I never said that the CAMERAS where set at 35 Lester, what the hell have you been drinking  :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:
The cameras are in 30mph zone so doing 35 should not activate them

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Last time I checked, 35 was greater than 30.  :Shocked: :mrgreen:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Correct.

But if asa is right then doing 35 in a 30 zone should not activate the camera as within non activation tollerance.

I,e

30 plus 10% plus 2 = 35

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
O I C,

I assumed 35 actual, not 35 indicated, silly me.  :-[

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
No, it's a 2012 GD 1.6 diesel blue active estate with alloys. Just been out now and it's reading (sat nav/speedo) 30/27, 40/36, 50/45, 60/54. Tyres are set at 32psi.

Did you post correct figures here? GPS is reading higher than the speedo in the above figures. The OP had the speedo reading higher.

I have a 2011 (last of that shape with a CRDi 6sp manual) and 17" wheels. According to the TomTom the speedo reads 100 km/h at 98 km/h GPS indicated.

There's a local road with a road-side speed indication. It corresponds with the GPS. 62 km/h indicated for a speedo reading of 60 km/h.

So, it's not out by much, perhaps a needle thickness. But yours seems to have a lot more error.

Being all electronic can they be re-calibrated?

Some motorbikes can have a thing called a 'speedo healer' fitted which corrects errors. Wonder if there is the same for cars.
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Correct.

But if asa is right then doing 35 in a 30 zone should not activate the camera as within non activation tollerance.

I,e

30 plus 10% plus 2 = 35

Your exactitude should be a standard to which we all aspire   :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:   Once we learn how to spell tolerance of course  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Correct.

I,e

30 plus 10% plus 2 = 35

Your exactitude should be a standard to which we all aspire   :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:   Once we learn how to spell tolerance of course  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:
Spelt that way as you have to pay, a toll, to come through the mersey tunnel.....unless you are a cheap skate and use the M53 and M56 and add miles to your trip....

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
You know very well that I am a cheap skate Lester, I thought it was a club requirement? 

56 every time for me, the only time I came through the tunnel a bloomin lorry turned over and I was two hours late AAAggghhhh.

If I incur tolls or indeed any other travel costs it goes on the invoice  :goodjob:  Which I guess means, tax payer funded, YOU Lester, you help to pay my travel Yiiippppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
also I am hoping to be back in your neck of the woods bout springtime, so just behave yourself or I shall have you banned from cycling round Heswall millionaires row  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Correct.

I,e

30 plus 10% plus 2 = 35

That's about right. I got a speeding ticket a couple of years ago for doing 36 in a 30 zone.  It said on the info on the back that they only prosecute if ii is above 35.

I checked my speedo against GPS a while back and it wasn't far out at all. That probably explains why when I'm following some cars through 30 mph Gatsos they slow down to 27. It is probably showing as 30 on their speedos.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I've had a ticket for doing 34 in a 30. £60 fine and 3 points at the time. about 8-10 years ago. hand held gun. If i'd have know about 10%+2 at the time I would have maybe challenged it.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Being all electronic can they be re-calibrated?

On a VW if you have the VCDS computer you can adjust the accuracy of the speedometer, so maybe possible on a Hy as well.... :question:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
I think its better to have it over reading by 10% +2, gives you a bit of lea way,
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I have no problem with mine underreading. I drive 5-10 under the limit anyway. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal