i30 Owners Club

Wiring my i30 with a front LED Light Bar

Offline Shamanda

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
Need a bit of help please .
I am travelling an hour each way to work each day thru kangaroo country and decided to instal a 10 inch 120 watt light bar to the front of the 2012 SR I30 petrol vehicle as seem to be on top of the roos before i see them.
So today fabricated a bracket and fitted the light bar and attempted to wire it up.
The same old method of a light to 87 of relay , 85 of relay to battery earth as well as negative side of the light bar , 30 of relay to positive of battery and 86 being to switch on dash and other end is the problem i need help with.
I mounted the relay close to battery so i removed the sealed cap on LHS front light assembly and disconnected the two wire plug to the high beam globe . Tested with multi meter and had 12 volts one side and nothing the other - good . Then powered up high beam and again just 12 volts one side and the other next to nothing .
So what do i have to do here , obviously want headlight switch to power up relay to activate the light bar .

Also couldn't find a spot thru firewall for running wires thru from the cab . Ended up using the air conditioner drain hose grommet , what do others use ??

Also with the two wire plug for the high beam globe being inside the sealed cap on the light assembly then how do you run a wire into this area .

Thanks in advance

Shane
  • i30 2014 SR

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
What is the actual current draw of the led bar, I assume 120w is the stated output power. If it's reasonably small, then I would simply take 12v from the existing high beam relay and forget adding another relay altogether.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :whsaid:
Hard to imagine your LED solution draws more than your original. :D
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Shamanda

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
Thanks Phil ,
I have already wired and fitted all other wiring , switch , LED Light , relay etc but in saying that i have searched and cannot find the high beam relay in the manual or displayed on cover diagram on either the drivers side interior fuse cover or the fuse cover in engine bay .
Can anyone help in its location - 2012 SR petrol Hyundai i30 
  • i30 2014 SR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Member Rick is very experienced with LED light bars (although he has an older model)

Hopefully he sees this and can help!  :goodjob:

:welcome: BTW!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal