i30 Owners Club

Trip Vs Km to empty

Midna · 2 · 1653

Offline Midna

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Bullsbrook, WA
Hi everyone,

So I've just filled my tank for the second time and I am confused by the difference between my fuel economy gauge, the km to empty and what I've actually driven. They don't seem to match up.
The car was a demo model with 13k on it so I'm assuming that the initial consumption was off significantly. Especially considering I put over 100k a day on her. (half of that country driving) I reset everything and here's what I'm getting.

Full tank = 589km to empty
F/E = 6.0 (I'm a reformed sports car driver so a bit heavy footed lol)
0Km driven

489km to empty
F/E = 6.0
150km driven (difference of 50%)

389km to empty
330km driven (meaning there should only be 259 left in the tank before empty according to the initial estimate.)

So if I go by fuel economy, 50Lt tank I should be getting approx. 830km/tank
By KM to empty I should be getting 589km/tank

This is fair discrepancy... just wondering if this will match up over time or if there's just no point in using KM to empty at all?
  • I30 GD Premium Diesel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Midna,

There are long (including fairly recent) discussions about the accuracy (or rather inaccuracy of the DTE on here. So, I won't go into the finer detail (I'll add a link to the last one if I find it)

Lets just say the Trip computer is fairly accurate at estimating the average fuel usage figure but very conservative on DTE. It goes to a couple of dashes when it gets to 50 kms left so you get plenty of warning. 

This thread is the most recent on the subject (there are several others)

:link: DTE - What the **** ?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal