i30 Owners Club

What's the right coolant for my CRDi..?

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
When getting the car back from the dealer after the glow plug accident, they told me there was wrong type coolant in the system. I had used some blue stuff, as the only info I can find in the owners manuel say: Must contain ethylene glycol. Must not contain alcohol or methanol.
The blue stuff is ethylene glycol based, but they told me it should be the red coolant... :question:

Engine is 2008 1,6 U CRDI
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I had green one, and I put green when I changed it. It was ethylene based and there was extra mention that that is suitable for aluminium heads and radiators. The red should work as well. I believe the red has a longer change interval than the green one.

I was thinking of starting to use red, but did not have motivation to flush the system. I you change coolant to different type I recommend proper flush with water before new coolant. Once saw car where different coolants were mixed. Some chemical reaction made the "fluid" to more like porridge.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I had green one, and I put green when I changed it. It was ethylene based and there was extra mention that that is suitable for aluminium heads and radiators. The red should work as well. I believe the red has a longer change interval than the green one.

I was thinking of starting to use red, but did not have motivation to flush the system. I you change coolant to different type I recommend proper flush with water before new coolant. Once saw car where different coolants were mixed. Some chemical reaction made the "fluid" to more like porridge.
The blue stuff I used was also for alu heads, and thinking back I actually think I got it from the dealer.. :confused:

I'm right now in the process of flushing it with tapwater, will see how many times I need to empty the system before it's clean water coming out. There was some oil in the water as well I want to get rid off.

The dealer put in some of the red so will most likely go for that again unless someone here advice against it...
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Did the garage that changed your cylinder head have any comments about the oil in the cooling fluid? After a massive operation you should have your car in tip top shape: right coolant and oil not mixed with coolant...
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Did the garage that changed your cylinder head have any comments about the oil in the cooling fluid? After a massive operation you should have your car in tip top shape: right coolant and oil not mixed with coolant...

No, they didn't mention oil, I found out myself.. :disapp:  They did however tell me that I had used wrong coolant and they would advise to change again soon to ensure it isn't mixed. Now I've spend the afternoon flushing the system 4 times, and added fresh RED longlife ethylene glycol coolant. Should last 250.000 km or 5 years.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Mine had the green coolant from new. The recommended coolant from Nulon was the green, so it went in at the first change. It is still in my i30's system.

Nulon now has a new coolant that they call "One Coolant"...which they say can be used in any application:-

:link: One Coolant - Nulon Products Australia

They claim that it is effective for 10 years or 1,000,000km.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I swapped over to the "red" on my FD some years back...

I got the dealer to do it at, I think, the 45,000k service.
I can only assume they flushed out the "green" properly as I never ever noticed a blending of colours etc.
The coolant has since been replaced at 90,000k, again using the "red".

:link: Red Long Life Concentrated Coolant - Nulon Products Australia

Offline william

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
I just bought the coolant from hy parts last time as the I30 is on their computer it's easier for me little bit more expensive but there helpful 4 litres is all they hold
  • i30 wagon 09

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal