i30 Owners Club

Losing fuel pressure while parked up.

me217 · 14 · 3765

Offline me217

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Has anyone had this issue before. I took the car for a drive today and when I went to restart it. It wouldn't start. Didn't even try to fire. Got out and primed up the fuel system and off it goes. I thought it was due to the low fuel level so fueled up the car and it needed to be primed again upon leaving the servo. Then we stopped somewhere else. And it started fine. So I thought it was just low on fuel. But then on the last stop for the day it did it again.

Anyone had this issue before. I haven't had a chance to diag it properly yet. But I'm going to grab a new fuel filter tomorrow morning before work on the hope that it's a cheap fix. There is no noticeable fuel leaks either. When it is running it runs fine.
  • i30 2007 crdi hatch

Offline me217

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
just an update, replaced fuel filter and nothing changed.
  • i30 2007 crdi hatch

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :Pout:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
There have been some cases of fuel filter body cracking, causing starting problems or Limp Home mode while driving. That could be worth checking...
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
There have been some cases of fuel filter body cracking, causing starting problems or Limp Home mode while driving. That could be worth checking...

Filter has been replaced, so no  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi

I meant the whole filter housing could be cracked, letting the pressure out and possibly some air in. Replacing the filter would not fix that.
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Is the tank venting ok
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

I meant the whole filter housing could be cracked, letting the pressure out and possibly some air in. Replacing the filter would not fix that.

The filter housing is not subject to high pressure. The fuel lines are simple rubber hoses and as the car runs smoothly, it doesn't sound like air is being admitted.

Offline me217

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
I gotta check the fuel cap today. I don't wanna throw parts at it until I know for sure what it is.
  • i30 2007 crdi hatch

Offline Jonesyvt

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Joondalup, WA
About the losing fuel pressure issue, I had a similar issue and ended up replacing the whole fuel pump.
My 2008 FD i30 would lose residual pressure sometimes then take lots of cranking to get the fuel pressure back. It depended on the angle it was parked at. There was other issues too, mainly low pressure when running so the engine light would come on. I checked the fuel tank for dirt in case the intake was blocked and replaced the filter a couple of times to no effect.
I suspect the pump has an internal valve to keep the pressure up to help restarting, if that gets a fault the pressure drops away when parked.
See the thread I posted on making a tool to change the pump yourself.
Since the new pump has been installed the car runs much better , I also replaced the glow plugs.
Hope you sort it out. Jonesyvt
  • 2011 CRDi Manual Hatch

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Time for @cruiserfied 's opinion, I think.

Offline me217

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
got it sorted, even though it behaved like a fuel pressure drop, but it was actually an immobilizer issue. yay more money.
  • i30 2007 crdi hatch

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Time for @cruiserfied 's opinion, I think.

Sounds like the suction pump integrated in the high pressure pump isn't operating at 100%
Like it has enough suction to keep things going while running but not enough to provide the extra to get the engine started.

Really need to get the fuel system tested by the dealer.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
got it sorted, even though it behaved like a fuel pressure drop, but it was actually an immobilizer issue. yay more money.

What made the immobilizer work better after short stops than longer stops... :question:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal