i30 Owners Club

Front brake pads needs replacement at 57000 km !!

Offline RichiJun

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      Stockholm
Dear All,

Here I am with another of my question, thanks for your answers.

When I went for summer to winter typres change, the mechanic told me that the front brake pads wont last untill next service. My car is driven 57000 km, so I am thinking, is it normal to change with this running? Normally I use my brakes very wisely and lightly.

And also, front and back brake pads has different life?

/Richi
  • Hyndai i30 Premium, Diesel

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Well it depends if all 57000 km is city driving or motorway. As you have 20.000 km ? between service I would just keep driving and have them checked again some time next year.

The front pads are often worn before the rear. When braking, the wheels with the most brake force will always want to be in front, so if the rear brakes was the most powerfull your car would try to turn around.. :confused:

When an apprentice I was taught it was 75/25 front/rear.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Pad life depends on quite a few variables some of which would be, driving style , type of driving (highway/suburban), type of material  in the pads (soft/hard), the terrrain(flat/hills), vehicle mass ( unladen/fully laden), transmission (manual/auto)

Comes down to trust too, have you sighted the pads and seen the thickness of material left yourself?

I do all of my own repairs but i do remember when we had our old wagon (Mitsubishi)serviced by dealerships being told something similar at 60 000k that you'll need pads soon.

I changed them out at 90 000k and they were still were above minimum thickness may have lasted another 20 000k

Point being , if you trust your mechanic and he's right then so be it, it is what it is.

I've had a brand new vehicle with pads so hard they looked like they'd last forever  but were totally crap for stopping and glazed up the discs..

Personally I'd rather have good stoppers and have the pads last less than the alternative, same goes for tyres with grip / wet weather performance.

Give me safety and confidence any day.

You could pop the front wheel off and have a look yourself how much material is left.

Brake pressure is generally biased to the front where all the weight is and the fronts will wear out faster as they work harder.

minimum thickness or end of service  is generally 2mm

Example, For the FD diesel the manual says

Front Pad thickness
Standard value : 11.0 mm (0.43 in.)
Service limit : 2.0 mm (0.0787 in.)

Rear Pad thickness
Standard value : 10.0 mm (0.39 in.)

I found some aftermarket drawings showing 15-17mm for the front. And my wagon has very new pads and they're definitely thicker than suggested 11mm in material.

If you knew the original thickness, measured the current thickness you could work out the average rate of wear and estimate the end of life
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good postings Henning and tw :goodjob:

From my experience they appear to use softer pads in the euro built i30's. Well they generate significantly more brake dust on the Wife's euro built 2014 tourer than our previous 2 korean built cars...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline RichiJun

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      Stockholm
Thanks for the wonderful and detailed answers !! I learned alot from your answers.

I will check today how the thickness looks like today and come back. I heard that I could damage the disc if I dont change the pads on time, so just don't want to reach that point.  :)

Thanks again.

• Hyndai i30 Premium, Diesel

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
Mine just rolled over 40k km and mine had plenty of material left, brake wear seems very good on the I30. Should be the same stuff as on mine, and with only light brake use I dont see them having worn out yet. I would definatly measure the thickness myself before replacing, they are very easy to check on the front side. 14mm wrench for the caliper, 13/16" for the lug nuts.

:link: HOW TO: Brake service - Glide pins and cleaning

If they start whistling(wear warning) you want them replaced as soon as possible, I doubt they will cause any damage to the rotors before that.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline panthersteve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Qld

Example, For the FD diesel the manual says

Front Pad thickness
Standard value : 11.0 mm (0.43 in.)

Rear Pad thickness
Standard value : 10.0 mm (0.39 in.)

I found some aftermarket drawings showing 15-17mm for the front. And my wagon has very new pads and they're definitely thicker than suggested 11mm in material.

The measurements given by the manual would be for pad material thickness, the 17mm on the drawing is including the pad backing plate so in essence they are both saying approximately the same thing.

Cheers
Steve
  • 2010 SLX I30 Diesel Hatchback in Black

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
I will check today how the thickness looks like today and come back. I heard that I could damage the disc if I dont change the pads on time, so just don't want to reach that point.   

Yes, but only if the friction material is completely gone and you have metal on metal trying to do your braking. You will know because the noise it makes will be horrible. Disks can then get scored by the pad metal.

I sold my FD diesel manual CW with 158000 on the clock with the original pads. The fronts were within 5000 km of needing replacement, the rears had 3 mm on them.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
You beat me I sold my wagon with 136k on the clock, but no mention of any immediate need to change them.

The Wife's FD hatch had hers changed at 75.

I changed the pads on my i40 at 15k because they were throwing really crappy and sticky brake dust that I hated.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
What are brakes,Bruce and Alvin only have two pedal,one on the far left and one on the far right  :whistler: my only issue is the right one don't go down far enough  :rofl:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'll be interested to see how the brakes wear in the PD SR. Firstly, I must say they are without a doubt the best brakes I've ever had in over 30 cars + work vehicles. Pedal feel and performance is spot on (although despite not fading they do generate quite a smell after a workout)

Why I wonder about the wear is when using the autonomous cruise they seem to be constantly going on and off (as they should) to maintain and control speed behind other cars and down hills ..

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
I'll be interested to see how the brakes wear in the PD SR. Firstly, I must say they are without a doubt the best brakes I've ever had in over 30 cars + work vehicles. Pedal feel and performance is spot on (although despite not fading they do generate quite a smell after a workout)

Why I wonder about the wear is when using the autonomous cruise they seem to be constantly going on and off (as they should) to maintain and control speed behind other cars and down hills ..

With a bit of luck, that auto cruise thingy will be using your rears.
Soft pads are good, hopefully less wear on rotors.
Mate  has a Discovery,  pads every 25-30kkm  rotors after 2nd pad change.   :eek:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

With a bit of luck, that auto cruise thingy will be using your rears.
Soft pads are good, hopefully less wear on rotors.
Mate  has a Discovery,  pads every 25-30kkm  rotors after 2nd pad change.   :eek:

The Euro factory definitely uses softer pads than the Korean Factory. Trish's Czech built tourer is a shocker for brake dust on the wheels (as I've said before) Although my SR wheels are dark and tend to hide the brake dust, they don't seem to get too bad even after a workout on Mount Hotham. They did stink though!  :crazy1:

Instroe
Jack the car up, whip the wheel off and have a look. Ive done 103,000kms and the pads have plenty left on them. Do you drive down steep hills with an unbraked trailer hitched up?
My dad once took his new Peugot in for its second service, the dealer said he had used 10% of the brake pads up and recomended changing them, my dad told him he was an "a hole" and didnt use the dealer again.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal