i30 Owners Club

Failed power steering on 1.6CRDi Manual i30 FD

Jackson · 22 · 4591

Offline Jackson

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney Australia
Administrator Comment Split from :link: Failed power steering on 1.6CRDi Manual i30 FD

Be very interested in how you go. Happy to fight the fight with you. I am waiting to hear from my mechanic after Hyundai dealer wanted to charge me $5100.
  • Hyundai i30 Wagon 2009

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Be very interested in how you go. Happy to fight the fight with you. I am waiting to hear from my mechanic after Hyundai dealer wanted to charge me $5100.

Is yours the same power steering problem?
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Jackson

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney Australia
Dealer listed the following recommendations :
MDPS Assembly (steering column with Steering ECU)
Steering Clock Spring ( my mechanic questioned that one)
2 x sheer bolts
Wheel alignment
= $5100 !
  • Hyundai i30 Wagon 2009

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
2 x sheer bolts
Wheel alignment
= $5100 !

Yes the clock spring must be a bit of price padding  :rolleyes: As if they needed it.  :disapp:

In the end, if your fight is not successful, my advice is as above re getting a steer column from a wrecker . They aren't a major trouble item, so for say $2-300 you have a 2nd hand unit, 99% chance it will be good. the FDs up to early 2012 had the same column.
Replacement is easy, max 4 hours if your guy has never done one before. The ESP needs to be set in centre, 2 minutes with the Picoscope or similar that the mechanic has. Bingo Back on the road for about $1000.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
2 x sheer bolts
Wheel alignment
= $5100 !

Yes the clock spring must be a bit of price padding  :rolleyes: As if they needed it.  :disapp:

In the end, if your fight is not successful, my advice is as above re getting a steer column from a wrecker . They aren't a major trouble item, so for say $2-300 you have a 2nd hand unit, 99% chance it will be good. the FDs up to early 2012 had the same column.
Replacement is easy, max 4 hours if your guy has never done one before. The ESP needs to be set in centre, 2 minutes with the Picoscope or similar that the mechanic has. Bingo Back on the road for about $1000.
Might hold you to this.
I seem to be developing an issue, unrelated to the steering bush already replaced. I'll start a new thread in due course. Still trying a few things.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
2 x sheer bolts
Wheel alignment
= $5100 !

Might hold you to this.
I seem to be developing an issue, unrelated to the steering bush already replaced. I'll start a new thread in due course. Still trying a few things.
Yeah, I spent half my time looking for things, the other half trying to remember what i started looking for.  :crazy1:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Jackson

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney Australia
Well , well. I got a call today from the dealership I initially took my vehicle to. They offered to cover the cost as a goodwill gesture but for them to repair it. Well, my mechanic ha just about finished repairs as that was two weeks ago! They have asked for a detailed repair bill which is fair enough. I had contacted ACCC, MTA and Fair Trading so hopefully they are realising there is a problem afterall!
Any way, they are yet to confirm payment but with your example as well, I think I should be OK. !!
  • Hyundai i30 Wagon 2009

Offline Jackson

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney Australia
Hi ,
Can I please have some advice ( probably a mechanic, please).
I was charged $1950 for:
Labour to remove and fit complete steering column
-Complete genuine clock spring
-Complete genuine universal joint assembly
-remove electric power steering motor and replace new genuine flexible couplings
(this does not include parts, I was charged separately for those.
I would appreciate some feedback here. Thank you ( Hyundai 2009 i30 wagon)
  • Hyundai i30 Wagon 2009

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi Jackson, 
Sure a more knowledgeable person will be along soon,  but  did invoice show how many hours at a specific rate ?. That may help sort out your query  👍
Mick
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Jackson

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney Australia

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi Jackson,
As Mickd has said, we need the hours. But I can do the sums if I know what the original fault was? Knocking in Steering or something else?

Also price on parts could be interesting.
presume it was your original steering column removed and re-fitted ?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 04:29:39 by nzenigma »

Offline Jackson

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney Australia
Thanks. I have asked them for a breakdown but not holding my breath.
Specifically:
Remove and replace new genuine complete universal joint assembly check and adjust ( $415.12)
Remove and replace new genuine complete clock spring unit check and adjust and full calibration. ($181.61)
Remove and replace new genuine electric power steering motor flexible couplings check and adjust full calibration ($71.50)
All four wheel balance . Wheel alignment ($85)
Then the labour at ($1950) which I itemised in earlier post.
Hope this helps.
  • Hyundai i30 Wagon 2009

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Ok, you haven't told me why they needed to remove the steering column so I'll jump ahead and assume... you paid for someone to learn on the job.
 The bushes you mention is inside the steering column . There is only one and it costs $5 and takes about 15 minutes to replace.
Column in and out and bush change, job finished> takes 4 hours max.
My guess is they had not had this type of job before. The noise from collapsed bush sounds like it is coming from the uni joint or the steering rack, so they bought you a new uni joint that you did not need. You also paid for the learning time.
The new  clock spring required ???? why they are rugged? , no need to replace. " adjust and full calibration." is BS, you just centre it when fitting.
more  BS complete universal joint assembly check and adjust , please show me the adjustment. Cant be done.
flexible couplings (sic) check and adjust full calibration, no adjustment possible, calibration, normal procedure takes 30 seconds.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Ok, you haven't told me why they needed to remove the steering column so I'll jump ahead and assume... you paid for someone to learn on the job.
 The bushes you mention is inside the steering column . There is only one and it costs $5 and takes about 15 minutes to replace.
Column in and out and bush change, job finished> takes 4 hours max.
My guess is they had not had this type of job before. The noise from collapsed bush sounds like it is coming from the uni joint or the steering rack, so they bought you a new uni joint that you did not need. You also paid for the learning time.
The new  clock spring required ???? why they are rugged? , no need to replace. " adjust and full calibration." is BS, you just centre it when fitting.
more  BS complete universal joint assembly check and adjust , please show me the adjustment. Cant be done.
flexible couplings (sic) check and adjust full calibration, no adjustment possible, calibration, normal procedure takes 30 seconds.

I'm a little more cynical. Dealer quote / 2 = great deal for Customer, gotta be happy with that.

I thought the deal was Hyundai is going to reimburse?

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Its become a new thread mate.
 But cynical is appropriate  :whistler: :evil:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
:confused:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: nzenigma

Just a bit of housekeeping.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
:confused:
@tw2005  mate,. I am confused too. Partly because I'm currently tied up with another project and don't have as much time to re-read each thread.
But, @Jackson hasn't answered a couple of questions. First was this the same fault as the steering/ESP failure being discussed in the original thread?
Second, am I correct in believing that his mechanic repaired knocking in the column and that the column has not been replaced with a new one?
 Based on what we know. It would seem that the Hyundai Dealer and mechanic are not on the same page.
 The mechanic has probably only had one oar in the water but has eventually repaired the fault. His invoice shows he is screwing Jackson. eg $71.50 charge for a $5 bush. $1950/4 = $487.50 per hour.
The Hy Dealer quote was for a new "MDPS Assembly (steering column with Steering ECU)". Irrespective of the different approaches , I think they could justifiably refuse to come to the party on this one.

Offline Jackson

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney Australia
Ok. Sorry for the confusion and I really appreciate the input. My power steering dropped out a couple of times, thankfully just while parking and it rectified itself by turning ignition on and off. After a quote from the Hyundai dealer of $5100 I took my vehicle to my mechanic. When it was almost finished with repairs ,nearly 3 weeks after I had picked my car up from the dealer, Hyundai phoned to say that they were willing to repair my vehicle as goodwill. When I told them that I had to take my car to my mechanic and pointed out that they never indicated that they might repair my car for nicks, they asked for a detailed invoice from my mechanic.
The labour mentioned at $1950 was listed as
-Complete genuine Clock spring
-complete genuine universal joint assembly
-Remove electric power steering motor and replace new genuine flexible couplings

Total with parts 2973.55
I am still waiting to hear from Hyundai as to whether they will cover any of the cost as they were a bit hesitant. I am not holding my breath.
My mechanics are really good guys , I just felt that the labour charge seemed steep??
Thanks again to all contributors.
  • Hyundai i30 Wagon 2009

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks that is interesting.

-Complete genuine Clock spring
-complete genuine universal joint assembly
-Remove electric power steering motor and replace new genuine flexible couplings
That is an itemisation of a single job. In other words, the uni joint and clock spring are removed and refitted when removing and refitting the steering column. Total for all of that is 4hrs.

Unfortunately, none of it addresses the original steering dropout. Hopefully it was just a glitch.  :)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi Jackson,
Keep us updated with reimbursement progress.
My guy charges $100:00 per hr for labour and that's cheap compared to other mech's around, also makes him extraordinary value for money.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Wow! putting my rates up tomorrow  :mrgreen:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal