i30 Owners Club

Change from miles to kilometers?

Offline Cartoon Head

• 1st Gear

• ie Ireland, Republic of
      Ireland
Hi all,

Just got my first i30 yesterday. It's a 2009 Diesel auto, nice spec. Very impressed with it so far but there is something I can't figure out.

I can't get the trip computer to display distance in kilometers instead of miles. Same for the fuel range and so on. Is it possible to change it?
  • i30 Diesel

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
welcome to the forum.
not sure about the answer to your question as both my i30's had kph only, the speedo's they used both kph speed so I think the trip was kph too.
is your speedo in mph or kph.
I'm in Australia we went from mph to kph back in around the start of 1970's think 1974. so just about all cars except old one's and American imports are all kph.
hope you find the answer.

Offline Cartoon Head

• 1st Gear

Ireland
welcome to the forum.
not sure about the answer to your question as both my i30's had kph only, the speedo's they used both kph speed so I think the trip was kph too.
I'm in Australia we went from mph to kph back in around the start of 1970's think 1974. so just about all cars except old one's and American imports are all kph.

Hi Lakes,

The speedo shows both mph and kph. Mph is in a larger font on the outside of the dial. The car is a UK import and I believe they favour mph there. Maybe it's something a main dealer would need to do with a computer?
  • i30 Diesel

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
welcome to the forum.

Hi Lakes,

The speedo shows both mph and kph. Mph is in a larger font on the outside of the dial. The car is a UK import and I believe they favour mph there. Maybe it's something a main dealer would need to do with a computer?

I think you would be stuck with it, but simple enough to convert with a calculator, a kilometre is 5/8th of a mile.
in Australia the speedo's are full metric. I have seen those type speedo's but was in old days when we first converted and on American imports.
 it's like with right hand or left hand drive some have it some country's don't
is irland kph

Offline Cartoon Head

• 1st Gear

Ireland
welcome to the forum.

Hi Lakes,

I think you would be stuck with it, but simple enough to convert with a calculator, a kilometre is 5/8th of a mile.
in Australia the speedo's are full metric. I have seen those type speedo's but was in old days when we first converted and on American imports.
 it's like with right hand or left hand drive some have it some country's don't
is irland kph

Yeah Irish speed limits follow the Euro standard of kph but having been brought up on mph I know the conversions off the top of my head like most drivers would. I just need to be careful not to speed because there are limits like 120kph that work out at 74.5mph. It's not a clearly marked point on the dial if you know what I mean.
  • i30 Diesel

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Requires dealer to activate if software loaded but think may be not as sold as mph.

Contact local dealer as they should be able to confirm if it can be done.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
a good gps with digital speed read out , if you have to stay right under speed limit as I doubt that the i30 speedo accurate I checked mine and they were fast, one was a lot faster in read out, the second car I had was closer to accurate but both had fast trip distance read out, so I had a gps speedo with digital speed rear out to double check as australia has speed camera's hidden and cops with speed checks in there cars mobile speed camera's red light camera's that also double as speed camera's. so everyone drives around blind because they watch the speedo not the road.
cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome: It may not be switchable being as UK import designed for MPH market.

John  (Lakes) suggestion about a GPS or even a cheap aftermarket heads up display might be the go.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Recycle an old phone or cheap tablet with a free app and you won't look back.
:link: Top 5 Head-up Display Apps for Android - YouTube
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal