i30 Owners Club

Service centre wanted to give car back with no Turbo.........

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
G'day all

To start off with this isn't meant to put down the service centre but things could definitely have gone better. The guys are great and in the end they found the problem and it was much less worse than the original diagnosis saving both them and me time, and saving them the cost of a new turbo under warranty.

Had the 60k service for my car today dropped it off in perfect working order just before 1pm and was handed it back at about 430pm with the turbo providing no boost.

The back story: I got back to the dealer about 415pm as they took it out for a test drive (I'm fairly certain it was the first one) they got back bunch of guys had a talk and then it went out again. When it came back I went out with the Service Adviser and the techie/mechanic said 'not happy with it, not performing' so the SA said he'd take it out for a drive and I jumped in with him.

At first I thought he was just putting his foot flat to the floor to soon, possibly overfuelling (as I've found quite often going beyond half throttle is pointless until your beyond the max torque band) but it soon became apparent that wasn't it. Switched my Scangauge to show Manifold pressure and it didn't break 16psi meaning at most 1-2psi boost...........not good.

SA advised that there have been some problems with i30s getting to this mileage and having problems with the actuator/vanes in the turbo. He would order a new turbo under warranty, no cost to me. If there were any more problems he would look into a loan car for me. Told me earliest the turbo would be in would be Wednesday (4days) and said I'd have to wait until then.

I took the car out myself and got halfway around the block before deciding that I did not like the idea of a naturally aspirated 1.6 diesel...... it was very noticeable and felt like I was back to driving a rather low capacity NA petrol car.

Went back to the service centre (by that stage it was 445pm) and told them I was not impressed. After alot of umming and ahhing they had another look at the car finally coming back with the answer that their scan tool was showing a exhaust recirculation code was present in the ECU. They took the cover off the engine and found the EGR valve wire was not fully connected. Plugged it back in and ran the engine, giving it a few revs the unmistakable sound of the turbo was presnt.

On the short trip home I gave it a couple of squirts getting upto 31PSI = about 16PSI boost and so far seems to be fine.

So just a heads up for the diesel owners out there.

Regards

Daniel

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
:eek: Hi Daniel, so whose fault was it that the valve wire was not fully connected? Does a standard service involve going anywhere near the connector...?

As they say all's well that ends well, but shouldn't really have happened.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Shambles

Thanks for bringing that up, forgot to mention it.

It may have been WRT the Fuel filter change.

Also Fuel filter changes are now compulsory at 30,000km intervals. But this service was the first for my car to change it.

Regards

Daniel

Offline IMCRZY

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong

• Wollongong, NSW, Australia

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Also Fuel filter changes are now compulsory at 30,000km intervals.

My service book says every 60,000 (so I doubt I'll do mine every 30,000 unless they send me a letter telling me different  :wink:)

P.S. thanks for the update on the Turbo incident... :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital

Offline simon@mgr

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ingham, FNQ
My handbook says 30,000K for diesels, hope you're not reading the petrol info?
  • 2008 FD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Manual, Grey

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My handbook says 30,000K for diesels, hope you're not reading the petrol info?

Mines a feb 08 build and my book says every 60,000 i'm sure.. when I went to the local Hyundai dealer only recently they said they had only ever sold 2 of the Diesel fuel filters (and they have sold heaps of the CRDi model so go figure...I can't be the only one that runs up a few KMs..

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
sorry to hear that Daniel, i'm up for the 60,000 service , but had my fuel filter changed at 35,000 will leave it as its runing sweet. i've never had thge water in filter light come on, so will leave the filter change till 75,000 service. the service center i use the head tech manager does my work he makes the filter change look easy, never had a problem yet. also he has been on me for a while to switch to ELF synthetic oil as the synthetic base they use can take much higher temps than the castrol synthetic i'm useing now. so i'm switching this service.
ps i've been changing the castrol at 5,000 intervals as i don't fully trust it, as if you get to high enough temps important aditives in the oil break down.

Daniel, i thought i would say, the problem the guy you talked to would be refering to would be some people always driving slow, this can cause carbon build up in the variable vaines and restrict there movement. but you mentioned you like to drive faster sometimes and this is good as it gets the viens to move a lot more keeps them freed up. another cause can be the vacume hose that goes to the variable vien it can sometimes leak causing this problem, but easy fixed.

Imcrazy, i know 16pound boost sounds a lot but normal with diesel,  like a normal un turboed diesel runs 21:0.1 compression ratio, the i30 CRDi only runs 17:0.1 compression ratio and the little turbo they use gets to around 20 pound boost at full boost, so the dynamic comp is high

lindlake
just got my i30 back from service centre i have had no power from 1000 to 3000 rpm the vanes on the turbo were stuck open the car sat around for 4 weeks for the hail stone damage they had to free up the vanes now i have full power and i do not go slow i rev to 4500 rpm all the time just had the 30000 km service done they changed the fuel filter the air cleaner they said i had no power because i had crap in my fuel tank i had a look my self all clean went to a new service centre and it was the turbo under warranty

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

just got my i30 back from service centre i have had no power from 1000 to 3000 rpm the vanes on the turbo were stuck open the car sat around for 4 weeks for the hail stone damage they had to free up the vanes now i have full power and i do not go slow i rev to 4500 rpm all the time

Hi M8 why would you do that.. :eek:. I can drive very quickly in mine and still stay under or near to 3000RPM.. It's your car but it won't help the longevity of the motor (especially the turbo) and your economy would have to suffer (what figure do you usually get?)

If you rev that hard you might not have let the engine idle for a minute or two after a hard slog and this might have caused the turbo problem (oil cooking on the hot vanes)...Just a thought.. :wink:

lindlake
i allways idle my engine down all the time i get 1000 km  to the tank and diesel  love to rev that is what the red line is for

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

i allways idle my engine down all the time i get 1000 km  to the tank and diesel  love to rev that is what the red line is for

You are doing very well then .. although I wouldn't say as much as I love my diesel .. that they love to rev!!! :eek:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal