i30 Owners Club

Simple fix for flimsy key

Offline QLDrooster

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane, queensland
Hey all.

If you've just bought your i30 and the key seems flimsy, you can leave it open and zip tie the case closed to avoid it breaking over time. put masking tape over the zip ties to stop them catching on your pockets. then label the masking tape.

looks bad but works well.

Rooster
  • 2011 i30 manual

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hey all.

If you've just bought your i30 and the key seems flimsy, you can leave it open and zip tie the case closed to avoid it breaking over time. put masking tape over the zip ties to stop them catching on your pockets. then label the masking tape.

Rooster
:faint:

Hyundai i30 i20 Elantra 3 Button Flip Key Replacement Remote Case/Shell/Blank

Instructions:
1. Open your existing key
2. Remove internal module/chip and transfer to new replacement
3. Remove internal transponder and transfer to new replacement
4. Screw/click the key back together
5. Take your key to a locksmith to cut the blank key if provided with this product
6. Test to check everything is working fine
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Hey all.

Rooster
:faint:

Hyundai i30 i20 Elantra 3 Button Flip Key Replacement Remote Case/Shell/Blank

Instructions:
1. Open your existing key
2. Remove internal module/chip and transfer to new replacement
3. Remove internal transponder and transfer to new replacement
4. Screw/click the key back together
5. Take your key to a locksmith to cut the blank key if provided with this product
6. Test to check everything is working fine

exactly wot I did and it wer like new when done

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
... label the masking tape.

What would you write on the label?    "This is a key"?

I wouldn't want to walk around with an exposed blade jabbing into my crown jewels. No thank you  :disapp: but thanks for the tip any way ;)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
What would you write on the label?    "This is a key"?
Visualise, Boss.  :crazy1:
The masking tape would cover the button labels so the labelling would identify each button under the tape. :crazy3:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
If you've just bought your i30 and the key seems flimsy....

…. it really isn't.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

looks bad but works well.....Rooster

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :faint:

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
If you've just bought your i30 and the key seems flimsy....

…. it really isn't.
Yeah. I never felt my keys were flimsy.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

looks bad but works well.....Rooster

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :faint:

:winker:

Offline QLDrooster

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      brisbane, queensland
I need that merch!!

Thanks for the tip I'm definitely going to get a replacement one and transfer the bits. The guy who sold it to me said one key already fell apart and the one i've got feels very precarious. I also saw a few posts saying to be careful of the key breaking when I was doing research to buy.
I wouldn't want to walk around with an exposed blade jabbing into my crown jewels. No thank you
I don't think anyone lost a nut to a car key in the decades before flip keys came about but maybe you're doing something different?
  • 2011 i30 manual

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I need that merch!!

Thanks for the tip I'm definitely going to get a replacement one and transfer the bits. The guy who sold it to me said one key already fell apart and the one i've got feels very precarious. I also saw a few posts saying to be careful of the key breaking when I was doing research to buy.
I wouldn't want to walk around with an exposed blade jabbing into my crown jewels. No thank you
I don't think anyone lost a nut to a car key in the decades before flip keys came about but maybe you're doing something different?
:rofl: :rofl: :goodjob2:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I need that merch!!

Just remember inside that remote is the transponder chip , don't loose it. I recall someone overseas did a case swap and could not start the car. fortunately they had not thrown the case out :faint: With the aftermarket cases you will find they are not an exact match to the original but you may have to swap the key and button relase as a set or pay a chunk of mpney to get a new key cut. I think $40 is about the cheapest but I get them cut to code not duped from a worn key

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I need that merch!!

:judges:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Just remember inside that remote is the transponder chip , don't loose it. I recall someone overseas did a case swap and could not start the car. fortunately they had not thrown the case out :faint:

I can remember someone in Samford  :whistler: not noticing the chip had dropped onto the workshop floor, just before workshop floor was meticulously swept.  :crazy1:

"cleanliness is next to godliness" (Wesley J. 1778)  :spam:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I can remember someone in Samford :whistler:
A Valley resident no doubt :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I can remember someone in Samford :whistler:
A Valley resident no doubt :whistler:

My lups are sealed.   :snigger:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal