i30 Owners Club

Steering self centering

Offline Motoloco

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Silverstone, UK
Hi

I have a 2008 FD 1.6 Diesel wagon.  It's left hand drive (French spec) and only used when my American girlfriend is in the UK (long story..), so has only done 65,000 kms since new.

I rarely drive it, but I always notice how strong the self-centering is on the steering.  I drove about 400 miles in it at the weekend and it felt like a fight.  The car is like brand new, with a massive Hyundai service history and is standard apart from uprated rear springs that have slightly raised the rear ride height (although the steering was the same before I fitted them).

Any ideas?

Cheers

Nick
  • 2008 1.6 CRD Wagon

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
When I have not driven mine for ages, the steering feels quite weighted. How's the tyre pressures? Tyres wearing ok? I'd say you've simply gotten use to driving something with lighter steering.

If there was a fault it would have triggered an MIL, if it was not working at all EPS would be lit and be virtually undriveable
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Motoloco

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Silverstone, UK
Thanks for the response. I drive a number of different cars, but the steering on this is odd. Maybe it’s the unsophisticated, early version electric power steering?
Tyres are near new Hankooks in the correct size and pressure.
  • 2008 1.6 CRD Wagon

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
steering on this is odd. Maybe it’s the unsophisticated, early version electric power steering?

:faint: By "unsophisticated" do you mean lacks 'lane assist' etc? The FD & GD (2007 - 2017) have essentially the same steering and ESP.

Two reasons for your problem MAY be, raised rear will affect front wheel alignment eg caster. Also LH drive wheel alignment is biased to the right.
Get alignment checked.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal