i30 Owners Club

White screen gd03 head unit

shatz · 4 · 5819

Offline shatz

• 1st Gear

• il Israel
Hi, im considering buying a 2014 hyundai i30cw with 100,000km on it.

Its only issue is that the head unit has a very washed out "whitened" display. I believe it is the nicer gd03 head unit model.

The owner said that it happened due to the sun (which is very possible, given how strong the sun is in my country, Israel).

Is this easily fixable? Maybe I can remove the uppermost layer of the display? Or will I have to buy a new one for $300? If I need to buy a new one, I will probably just live with it since I can still actually see the screen, its just a bit difficult.

Thanks
  • 2014 i30cw 1.6

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If it's just sun faded it might be possible to polish off the hazing if not to far gone, toothpaste on a polishing disk pad works on plastic headlights so hopefully the same for the stereo plastic display :undecided:

Offline shatz

• 1st Gear

• il Israel
So ive read a little about this technique on the internet but Im hesitant because I can only find examples of this fixing very scratched things (and thats probably why it works for headlights). Cant find any examples of this working on things damaged by the sun :(

The display didnt seem like it had any scratches. Only sun damage.
  • 2014 i30cw 1.6

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Toothpaste works in the same manner as headlight restoration media where it removes the sun faded discolouration from the surface, I've not had to do this myself, just one of those home remedies that people have mentioned works on plastics.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal