i30 Owners Club

2012 stock speaker upgrade

brodie · 55 · 23001

Offline brodie

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi all
In the process of going to remove crappy stock speakers in 2012 i30. Anyone have any recommendations for at all. I looking at jvc think they are 6 inch leaving stock tweeters in. I what's everyone's experience do u think they will make a difference???

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I'll be interested to watch this thread because my local car stereo shop told me not to bother because I wouldn't notice much difference with the standard radio.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline komaterpillar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
kom,

Have you done this mod  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline brodie

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I'm getting it done on the weekend. Do people reckon it will make difference or not

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I'm no expert in this field(but others will respond, I'm sure) but I would have thought it would make a difference.
I was just put off a bit by what the car stereo shop people told me then I didn't follow it up any further.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
@db08,

I can't fault the sound of the original speakers, which is why I won't be changing them, however, the younger dudes, seem to like massive volume with external amps, so under those conditions, better speakers would be required.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

It's not something that worries me greatly and in most situations they're fine for what I use them for.
But if turned up loud they do lack a bit and if there was an easy, cost-effective way to improve the sound say, by 50%, I would have done it.
I'm probably showing my age now because there are probably much better options available that I'm not aware of, but I always liked Pioneer gear over the years so my idea was to upgrade all the speakers with mid-range (quality) Pioneers, but I was told not to bother.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I miss having speakers in the rear deck and using the "boot" as a speaker box.... :)

Offline brodie

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
hahaha - look the stock ones are ok, but are not great at all...they miss that punch us "young dudes" like.

They suggested a sub, but i was thinking they were just wanting more $$ spent...

i just loved my VW golf for that reason (yes that reason only..) that the stock speakers in that were kILLERS!! and had amazing sound...would defo like to hear some peoples opinions though who have had this done.!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
If you are going to do it Brodie I would go something better than JVC  :confused: (I thought they were only  a middle of the range brand?) Maybe Alpine, Kenwood or JBL? why not audition a few at places like Autobarn and see what you like the sound of?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
With my hearing and the intrusion of outside noise I really can't be bothered trying to improve on th estock system.

However, the best sound in a "stock" system I have ever heard is in my son's Mazda 6 Sports which has the Bose speakers and (IIRC) the sub woofer in the spare wheel.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
It surprises me that they would say that, as most say that changing the speakers is the best and most cost effective way to improve sound.

I have been thinking about it, the rear speakers seem to distort and do not handle  AM very well. Hence I have had to move the bias back to the front.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
It surprises me that they would say that, as most say that changing the speakers is the best and most cost effective way to improve sound.

:whsaid:

Offline Waja

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW, Australia

• Hyundai i30 CRDi '07 100,000km
From what I have heard, if you are going for something like a low-mid range consumer based speakers you probably wouldn't hear much difference. You need to look at your budget, look at speakers and then increase your budget while looking at amps :P When I was researching I used mobile electronics and their reviews.

First up as recommended by FHRX studios, I deaden my doors and used the sharkracing kit in my '07 i30 (not sure if there is a kit yet for the 2012 i30) as it was cheap-ish compared to Dynamat and just the extra material seems to have decreased road noise, decreased vibrations and seems to add a bit more mid bass on the stock speakers. After that I installed Morel Tempo components with silk dome tweeters in the front with carpeted MDF baffles attached direct to the door and these are currently unamped as they are quite sensitive (and I didn't find an amp I liked). After a few weeks of burn in, I have compared my front stage morels to the rear stock speakers and there is a MASSIVE difference. Alot more clarity (these are aimed at better representation of sound as the artist intended compared to colored sound like most 'known' brands), the highs and mids are alot more smooth, there is alot more clean midbass but as expected, they aren't as loud as the stock speakers and at very high volumes (25+) they distort as they are unamped. Currently I have my eyes on a Pioneer competition PRS-D800 to amp my speakers and will be adding that in later and possible disconnect my rears and just bridge them for my sub as I currently bias my speakers to the front and use the rears mostly for my sub.

I don't know your budget but I allocated <$250 for speakers and I luckily picked up my Morel Tempos for $220. Other speakers I would recommend around that budget were the Crescendo Opus 1 and then after that Morel Maximos. Polk Audio make some decent speakers but I am unsure where they stand. Also, your style of music also will determine your speakers and whether just adding a sub will make any difference. Each person will recommend different brands and the only real way is to demo speakers and see whether you like them or not :)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

:whsaid:

Especially as it meant a sale + installation for them.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

As I mentioned before I also got told this about the speakers in my Hybrid by a crowd in Hobart... :confused:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Especially as it meant a sale + installation for them.

He was probably hoping to sell you a new head unit and amp as well as new speakers... :whistler:

Offline brodie

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
lol -
the HU in the new i30 is the 7inch nav unit.. i dont think many people know much of it yet, i dont know how it handles with anything but stock speakers.

i pulled off the trim thisevening, and its basically the same as stock setup for previous gen i30, with paper type speakers...

the set im looking at
are a 6 in JVC model, around $79 a pair... from what iv seen reviews seem good...??

here is inside door pic

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

and speaker itself

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Still think $79 JVC's are not worth the upgrade .. You would want to be spending a minimum of $200 a pair.. Do the listening test with them and other dearer ones at some car audio shops  :cool:

Offline brodie

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire
Still think $79 JVC's are not worth the upgrade .. You would want to be spending a minimum of $200 a pair.. Do the listening test with them and other dearer ones at some car audio shops  :cool:

I agree with Dazzler, I changed the speakers in the front of my old Seat Ibiza with an £60 pair of Pioneer composites and to be honest they were worse than the standard fit Kenwood ones they replaced.   
  • Comfort CRDI (115), Suzuki Ignis Sport, Rover Mini 30

Offline brodie

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Update: so, i ended up going all the way, 4 new speakers and a lovely 10inch sub in the boot. Sounds AMAZINGLY good. I must say, turning the sub off/down, the speakers just don't go well on there own, the sub defiantly compliments them nicely to bring the whole package together!! :)

first and LAST mod im doing!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

What sort / brand of speaker did you get brodie? and did you spend a bit more?  :razz:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Update: so, i ended up going all the way, 4 new speakers and a lovely 10inch sub in the boot. Sounds AMAZINGLY good. I must say, turning the sub off/down, the speakers just don't go well on there own, the sub defiantly compliments them nicely to bring the whole package together!! :)

first and LAST mod im doing!

Does that sub annoy other road users when stopped at traffic lights?  :D :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline brodie

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
i ended up going the JVC, they were $79 a pair, x 2, (they sound alot better then the stock) and the sub was a Fusion 10' tube with built in amp...its pumpin, problem is, i dont really have any doof doof music haha- *hmmm delta goodrem doesnt really shine through my speakers...* ha - laugh it up

speakers -->> http://www.jvc.com.au/car-av/speakers/drvn-speakers/cs-v627
sub/amp -->> http://www.fusionelectronics.com/car/products/active-enclosures-cs-series/cs-10-Active-Tube-Enclosure

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

No but she could park her shoes under my bed.  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline brodie

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
@brodie, you were born to try  :mrgreen:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The JVC speakers are higher tech than I expected. They must be good they are Hybrid  :whistler:

The Woofer is a lot more compact than some  :goodjob:

Glad you got a result you are happy with  :cool:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal