Another GPS mount option!

stkman · 22 · 10424

Offline stkman

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, NZ

• 2008 1.6 cRDi manual Elite in Stone Black
Hi All,

When I got a GPS, I used the suction cup attachment in the corner of the windscreen. Was sturdy enough but preferred something lower. Ended up buying a "Brodit" mount from http://mountonus.com/

The Brodit mount is specific to the i30 and Brodit also make GPS/iPOD/PDA/phone mounts that will attach. I just used a modified vent mount that I had to attach to the Brodit mount. Mountonus had the best price I could find and their service was excellent.

Am happy with the result. The GPS is closer and I have been able to turn the screen brightness right down (easier on the battery and the GPS apparently!).

Andrew

• 2008 1.6 manual diesel Elite

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
thats very tidy and its not on the wind screen blocking your vision.  :razz: :cool:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline simon@mgr

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ingham, FNQ
Very nice, where's it from?
  • 2008 FD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Manual, Grey

Offline stkman

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, NZ

Hi Simon,

The mount is from "Brodit" which is a Swedish company. They do two different mounts for the i30. I got it by ordering online from a company in the UK (see original post for web address) and was quite well priced.

Andrew

Offline aktuls

• 2nd Gear

• fi Finland

• i30cw 1,6 CVVT 5MT ISG, Champange Silver
VERY NICE ! Just what I was looking for, many thanks stkman  !

For European left-hand drivers; http://www.brodit.com/?main=searchbrodit.jsp&search=854069
In Finland there is a company, Servcat, who have Brodit aswell, but not this Hyundai model (emailed them that they should get them on their catalog 8) )

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Anyone tried the other one they do for the i30?

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Actually I think I will give it a miss, at £15 it didn't seem too bad, but when you add the extra £20 for the adapter plate for my GPS it seems expensive.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Yeah, I had a look and thought it was a wee bit pricey, however it is very tidy.  Have emailed them to see if they can provide the sytem for my GPS since it aint listed :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

• Halmstad, Sweden's Riviera
Hi Simon,

The mount is from "Brodit" which is a Swedish company. They do two different mounts for the i30. I got it by ordering online from a company in the UK (see original post for web address) and was quite well priced.

Andrew

Very good price... Costs more in Sweden...
  • I30 CW 2.0 CRDi

Offline dctyke

• 2nd Gear
I checked it out,  problem is that it still uses 2 adhesive pads onto the dash that always makes a mess when trying to clean up on re-sale.

Offline stkman

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, NZ

Works fine without the adhesive pads ... I had it installed for a few weeeks just clipped on before I decided it was going to work for me.  attached it clipping it in place with the adhesive pads at that stage.

Andrew

Offline blumf

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

• 2010 UK i30 Premium 1.6p man.
I checked it out,  problem is that it still uses 2 adhesive pads onto the dash that always makes a mess when trying to clean up on re-sale.

Have you tried acetone?

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I think I'd rather keep the sticky patch.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

Have you tried acetone?

NOOOOOOOOOOOO :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim:

Never EVER EVER use Acetone (Nail Varnish remover) on plastic, it melts the long chain polymers which make the plastic up and will make your dash into a smeary mess :eek: :eek: :eek:

If you have glue marks of any form on plastic use alcohol, it softens the glue but has no effect on the plastic.

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
I use a small amount of Swarfega Rapid Hand Cleaner to clean sticky stuff of things. Also works great to clean most things including alloy wheels  :lol:

Offline aktuls

• 2nd Gear

• fi Finland

BUT NOOOOOOO !!  Thats alcohol misuse !!    :P

In Finland they have this long adapter; http://www.servcat.com/related.asp?table=BIL&brand=HYUNDAI&product=87-854079&model=i30   Price 23.68€, not too much...

Have you tried acetone?

NOOOOOOOOOOOO :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim:

Never EVER EVER use Acetone (Nail Varnish remover) on plastic, it melts the long chain polymers which make the plastic up and will make your dash into a smeary mess :eek: :eek: :eek:

If you have glue marks of any form on plastic use alcohol, it softens the glue but has no effect on the plastic.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

In Finland they have this long adapter; http://www.servcat.com/related.asp?table=BIL&brand=HYUNDAI&product=87-854079&model=i30   Price 23.68€, not too much...

Thats the same thing, however you need to add another clip to it for your specific gps which costs about another 20 euro.

Offline aktuls

• 2nd Gear

• fi Finland

Thats the same thing, however you need to add another clip to it for your specific gps which costs about another 20 euro.

Don't worry, I got it figured out, I already have a mount I can sacrifice... also a universal mount for my gsm&gps costs only 7-9€   Saves me some money for the alcohol  :lol:

Offline aktuls

• 2nd Gear

• fi Finland

Works fine without the adhesive pads ... I had it installed for a few weeeks just clipped on before I decided it was going to work for me.  attached it clipping it in place with the adhesive pads at that stage.

Andrew

Ok, I got the Brodit mount and universal mount for phone/gps, total cost ~30e which was good.
However ! Attaching the Brodit mount to the dash is proving a little tasking, with hook- like "j" shaped thing on each end of the mount, how are you supposed to get the left hand side attached without damaging the dashboard ? I cannot get it in without using deadly force (see pic)

[deleted]

Offline stkman

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, NZ

Andrew

Ok, I got the Brodit mount and universal mount for phone/gps, total cost ~30e which was good.
However ! Attaching the Brodit mount to the dash is proving a little tasking, with hook- like "j" shaped thing on each end of the mount, how are you supposed to get the left hand side attached without damaging the dashboard ? I cannot get it in without using deadly force (see pic)

You are right, it does take a bit of force to push install the mount at the end closest to the windscreen. By doing so, it deforms the dash a little. I installed it without the adhesive for a week or so, then removed it to reinstall with the adhesive pads and the dash popped back to where it was. Could not tell that that the mount had been there.

Andrew

Offline aktuls

• 2nd Gear

• fi Finland

You are right, it does take a bit of force to push install the mount at the end closest to the windscreen. By doing so, it deforms the dash a little. I installed it without the adhesive for a week or so, then removed it to reinstall with the adhesive pads and the dash popped back to where it was. Could not tell that that the mount had been there.

Andrew

Ok, thanks for your reply, I'll try to find a small spatula or something for leverage...
I'll write back here along with a picture if I succeed or >FAIL   :)

Offline aktuls

• 2nd Gear

• fi Finland

Ok, thanks for your reply, I'll try to find a small spatula or something for leverage...
I'll write back here along with a picture if I succeed or >FAIL   :)

Hooray !  8)
I got it in, just needed a short, round edged metal spoon-kind-a thin tool to make way for the mount hook. I happend to find an kitchen tool whichs original use was to remove the green end from strawberries  :lol:   Phew, at first it really seemed impossible to mount without damaging the dashboard but now its in !!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal