i30 Owners Club

802.9 km on 1 tank of petrol in 2.0 i30!

MRH130 · 24 · 8423

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
About 50 km in to my last tank I thought I'd see if I could get to 800 km on a single tank.

This is the result - I drove it very gently, but always kept up with the traffic. It includes 7 cold starts, and is about 50/50 city/highway and includes some running around in multistorey car parks.

Can anyone beat this? I reckon I could get 850 if I tried...  :D

And if someone beats that, I'll have a crack at 900 once the car's run in a bit more.  :wink:

Diesel? bleh.  :P :P :P

[deleted]

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Great effort MRH... but it's not just about the economy.. :wink: :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

Sorry about the pics by the way - it was still dark when I filled up.  :wink:

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

Great effort MRH... but it's not just about the economy.. :wink: :cool:

hehe yeah I know, I enjoy driving the diesels too. If they made a diesel SR I would have bought one of those - I'm very happy with the petrol though. Especially since I managed to beat my sister's new WRX at the traffic light grand prix!

But this consumption is about what I get from my Getz, and I know what I'd rather drive!

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Can anyone beat this? I reckon I could get 850 if I tried...  :D

Diesel? bleh.  :P :P :P

I got 863km once in my '94 model 1.6lt Nissan Pulsar hatch. Before you say 'well that engine is 400ml less capacity' that was done in 2008 so the car was 14 years old with over 200k km on the clock, comparing that to a 2.0lt engine now, you would expect with all the advances in tech to have a similar fuel consumption figure. Weights would have been about the same as I had the car crammed full of stuff moving from Vic back to NSW. But it was obviously all highway driving with a few rest stops on the way.

Diesel bleh? I just filled up tonight with 1104km on the clock. That wasn't taking it easy much either.  :twisted:

Don't take it the wrong way. I'm not trying to get into a p155ing contest, just some friendly petrol v diesel rivalry.  8)

In all honesty, great effort..............for a petrol............. :P :P :P

Regards

Daniel

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

lol yeah I know, and I was only stirring too with my "bleh" comment. I will keep Crystal for ever, but when the lease is up I will probably buy a diesel. They both have their advantages... I challenge any diesel to a race tho.  :wink:

I know I'll never crack it for 1500 to a tank like a diesel, but I reckon that's a pretty tidy effort for a 2.0 petrol powered medium size car without any significant effort... And at 6.4 litres/100 it's getting dangerously close to the ADR rating for an automatic diesel...  :D

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
I challenge any diesel to a race tho.  :wink:

Ok 30km/h (ie about 2,000rpm in 2nd foir me) rolling start on a steep hill................. say goodbye to your dignity!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Off the blocks the CRDi isn't that great but once your into second all she does is pull!

0-100km/h I'd probably hand it to the petrol (just) 30-90km/h the CRDi for sure.

Regards

Daniel

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
nice result

if i ever get my planned i30 i will be doing long runs from my home down to brissy, about 700k's
will be interesting to see if i can beat that!
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

Ok 30km/h (ie about 2,000rpm in 2nd foir me) rolling start on a steep hill................. say goodbye to your dignity!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Off the blocks the CRDi isn't that great but once your into second all she does is pull!

0-100km/h I'd probably hand it to the petrol (just) 30-90km/h the CRDi for sure.

Regards

Daniel

As long as I can choose what gear I'm, and we don't combine the race with an economy run in I'll probably take that challenge!

I find the shove in the back the Diesel gives you when it's on boost is very satisfying but it's not actually that quick...

Certainly the CRDi has a better mid-range, but the petrol can lift up it's skirt and bolt when spanked.  :D

Diesel is torquier and copes with hills better in the real world but for outright pace I'd pick the 2.0 manual.

0-100 I reckon I have you covered and top speed too (not that I... ever... would have... tried that...)  :wink: :wink: :wink:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
That's a great effort!
just wondering how much fuel you can get into the tank?
like i would expect the petrol to have the same tank as diesel just different size filler kneck. the most i have been able to get in mine is (diesel ) 57L but i always fill up before or soon after the low fuel light comes on.

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

Hi Lakes,

the most I've put in on any one occasion is 53 litres. That's the nominal capacity of the tank (petrol and diesel) but I think I saw someone had squeezed 58 litres in to a diesel. If you have the patience I'm sure you can get about that much in. Both fuels (especially diesel) froth a bit as they're going in so filling right to the brim takes patience...

Not a great idea to run a CRDi out of fuel if you can avoid it, so probably not a bad thing that you fill up when the light comes on.  :wink:

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
well i got very close on my brissy trip! something like 790's maybe and then i was running on fumes
i think i can do better  :wink:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That was  gr8 effort snowcherry... Michael (MRH130) hasn't been on for a couple of months.. I just sent him an email to see if he is o/k  :'(

Offline michael_i30

• 2nd Gear

• Central Coast, NSW, Australia
well i got very close on my brissy trip! something like 790's maybe and then i was running on fumes
i think i can do better  :wink:

That's quite good. I'd be happy with that in a petrol.

I tend to see the diesel gauge show a quarter or there abouts left and think I should check the distance.  It's generally over 700 KMs with a DTE of + 200 KMs

Almost a year and I still can't get used to the fact that at 1/4 full (or 3/4 empty) I can still do a run into work and back without filling up (180 KMs)

With my old petrol laser I would fill easily twice a week.  With my CRDi it's once a week at the most :-)

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
OH NOES!!!!!  :eek:
i wasn't near the 790's after all *SOBS*

i just found my receipts with my trip readings written on the backs and i had 790 stuck in my head but it's a SIX!! i did find my return one and that says 717, which is why i had stuck the two togethor and had 790 in my head.

oh crappy now i feel all sorts of embarrassed, i've had 790 in my head for well over a week and never though to double check before posting  :'( :-[

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's fine snowcherry.. an honest mistake (don't be stressed)  :wink:

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
aww thanks dazz. still feel silly  :-[
but also bummed cos now my fuel eco has dropped again  :rolleyes:

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
another trip to brissy but still only achieved 700 and a little with one tank.

i noticed if just on the motorway my petrol consumption would drop down to as much as 6.8! and would average about 7.2. if i could have stayed at the 6.8 i'm thinking i could have done better but part of my trip involves the highway with hills etc and i lose ground and start moving back up into high 7's or even low 8's depending on my driving or traffic.

ze record seems safe

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

700 from a petrol model with only an average size tank is still a good result.... :wink:

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
yeah dazz it is, i am very happy with it. that trip i drove from home (central qld) down to the logan region of lower brisbane and crashed at my mums and never had to stop for petrol. then drove around a bit the next day for maybe 30-40 minutes before i got petrol warning. knowing i can count on 600 plus locally but can get 700 for the long trips is a nice feeling  :D

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
tsk tsk tsk... you never said you were coming to brisbane!! we could have organised a brisbane meet up!

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :lol: :lol:  :wink:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
 :-[

i think i spent most of it sick with a cold  :rolleyes:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
ewww a cold!!! what a way to spend your time on holiday!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal