i30 Owners Club

Poor economy

phuney · 24 · 8410

Offline phuney

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Hobart

• Hobart, Tasmania
I have just hit the 2000 km mark in my 2 litre auto and my economy is about 12.5 litres per 100kms.

I haven't really done any long trips just around Hobart. I know that short trips are not good for economy but it is Hobart.

Even so this seems a little poor.

Also transmission seems to like sitting in a higher gear for too long. For example driving at about 40-50 km/h and just holding that speed not accelerating it is only reving about 1400 and the motor seems to labour a little. Asked for it to be checked at 1000 service and was told it was fine. Don't know if this is stuffing my economy.

Any ideas

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Swap it for a diesel?  :lol:

In seriousness 1400rpm seems a little low to cruise in, the diesel manuals don't like going below 1500 on a flat surface.

The auto in the i30 isn't known for it's economy but it definitely shouldn't be this thirsty.

Sorry I can't help.

Regards

Daniel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi phuney,

Around Moonah is not that hilly. Have you been doing much driving in the hillier parts of the city..

I have a Manual Diesel averaging 5.4 to 5.6 but I have a feeling it will improve a bit in time... (yours that is)

From the many postings I've read on this site since we started -and I've read every one... I would expect it will eventually settle around the 10.0 mark..

Fingers crossed...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline GordonG

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Cairns, Queensland, Australia

• Cairns Australia - MY16 SR Premium, Phoenix Orange
    • GordonG.com
Mine is currently sitting at around the 9.7 mark and that's all local driving, 1250km so far

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
I have just hit the 2000 km mark in my 2 litre auto and my economy is about 12.5 litres per 100kms.

I haven't really done any long trips just around Hobart. I know that short trips are not good for economy but it is Hobart.

Even so this seems a little poor.

Also transmission seems to like sitting in a higher gear for too long. For example driving at about 40-50 km/h and just holding that speed not accelerating it is only reving about 1400 and the motor seems to labour a little. Asked for it to be checked at 1000 service and was told it was fine. Don't know if this is stuffing my economy.

Any ideas

Does seem a bit high, perhaps take it for a good run on the open road and see what it does. At 40-50km/h the torque converter shouldn't be locked, meaning the transmission should still slip and it shouldn't labour.

Hills will make it drink a bit more too.

Hyundais never get *fantastic* economy until they are run in, my first Getz didn't hit the sweet spot until about 40000km... Are there any other driveability problems with the car?

If the dealer has plugged it in to the GDS and there are no fault codes and no driveability issues it will be hard to say what's going on. If you're not confident it has been on the GDS you can ask for a printout showing any fault codes in the system.

Without seeing where the car is driving it's hard to say - as I suggested, a run on a flat (ish) highway should give an indication of what the car is capable of doing. If it's guzzling there then obviously there's something going on. Let us know what happens.  :wink:

Offline phuney

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Hobart

• Hobart, Tasmania
Around Moonah is not that hilly. Have you been doing much driving in the hillier parts of the city..

I have a Manual Diesel averaging 5.4 to 5.6 but I have a feeling it will improve a bit in time... (yours that is)

From the many postings I've read on this site since we started -and I've read every one... I would expect it will eventually settle around the 10.0 mark..

Fingers crossed...

I am actually in West Moonah which is a bit hilly but I am towards the bottom and only have 1 hill that's steep but only for 500m or so.

The economy seems to be getting worse. Last tank took 47 litres for only 377 kms. I think  to zip up to Launceston and back and see what the economy is over 400kms.

thanks for the advise.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I am actually in West Moonah which is a bit hilly but I am towards the bottom and only have 1 hill that's steep but only for 500m or so.

The economy seems to be getting worse. Last tank took 47 litres for only 377 kms. I think  to zip up to Launceston and back and see what the economy is over 400kms.

thanks for the advise.

No probs.. we hope you get it sorted .. unfortunately you can't go to another Hyundai dealer for a 2nd opinion (as you already know) the same dealer services the whole of Tassie through 4 or 5 outlets...

Gordon's posting confirmed what I thought should be able to achieve 10 or less. It will loosen up but more than 20% higher is a lot!

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
This sucks man, I can totally get your frustration. Like has been mentioned, Hyundai's seem to take ages to run-in, and I keep getting lower and lower consumption (I have a petrol manual 2.0 litre, just got 5.9L/100km over 650km trip!).

Also, if you purely do city/urban driving, I find consumption figures are horrible. I did a 200km trip with purely local trips, usually less than 20km individually, I got figures of 13l/100km (monitored the figures myself). Don't be disheartened mate. Take her for a few long runs (go and visit Dazz in his diesel :D ) and see how it goes.

Also, try and monitor your consumption yourself. The trip computer averages incorrectly, I found. On my car, it says 7.5L/100km, and my own figures (after a 3 months) average less than 7L/100km!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Take her for a few long runs (go and visit Dazz in his diesel :D ) and see how it goes.

You would be made very welcome.. I'm a friendly chap  :D

P.S. I find the trip computer pretty accurate but phuney has the sx  :'(

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Let's not hope *too* friendly Dazz  :lol:

Oh yeah. I use the RoadTrip Application on the iPhone (yes I realise I am an iTwat, with an i30 and iPhone, with an iPod connected in the i30!!!), and I find that of great help!

Offline phuney

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Hobart

• Hobart, Tasmania
Let's not hope *too* friendly Dazz  :lol:

Oh yeah. I use the RoadTrip Application on the iPhone (yes I realise I am an iTwat, with an i30 and iPhone, with an iPod connected in the i30!!!), and I find that of great help!

Athough I don't have a iphone I have a ipod touch so I will check out the app.

thanks

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Make sure you get the free version of Road Trip. The other one records your servicing and stuff, which is somewhat pointless if you know what you're doing :D

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Sorry to hear that mate, what fuel are you useing?
also remember it can be very cold in Tassie so they richen till motor warms , if your only doing very short trips it might not be getting full runing temps. also if you had a trip computer that shows what it's useing as it happens you would see why.
this is one reason why i won't have a petrol 4 cylinder. my V8 falcon Auto gets 12.L/100K in Sydney 13L/ 14L in sydney towing a trailer 9L/10L in country hills do not efect the economy on the V8. but idling for long periods do effect economy. this is why i bought the diesel i30, i drive a Toyota 4cl Auto company car and it uses same amout of fuel as the V8 in sydney. drive a large diesel truck sometimes and it uses less fuel than the Toyota. does not matter how slow i drive that toyota it just drinks up, but it performs well for a small motor.
the i30 CRDi is best economy i've had in a car in over 40 years driving.

bez10y
I'm amazed at the difference an auto makes in economy. Our other car is a 1.6 Nissan Pulsar 2001 Auto. It has a 60Litre tank yet we're lucky if we can get 450km out of it. The i30 on the other hand only has a 53litre tank, is a 2.0 engine and I'm constantly getting 550kms+ out of it.

I'm only doing about 40km's a day (just clocked 15000km's not that long a go), city driving and the scanguage2 and trip computer both show an average of 8.5L/100kms. I have noticed that in the mornings the SG2 will show me L/100kms in the range of 7.5 to 8.5 whereas in the afternoon I get 8.5 to 9.5. More traffic in the afternoon and more stop/start driving explains the difference.

I do try and hypermile when I can, though not to any extreme. Mainly just taking the car out of gear when going down hills and trying not to "gun it" off the lights.

Offline phuney

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Hobart

• Hobart, Tasmania
Make sure you get the free version of Road Trip. The other one records your servicing and stuff, which is somewhat pointless if you know what you're doing :D

Downloaded the App and set it up before I popped up Launceston last Sunday.

I have all my fuel receipts with mileage so was able to reconstruct everything since my first fill and was averaging 11.8L/100km. 

By the way it's a great app and after looking through the free one decided to pop down the $6 for the full version and while it doesn't have a great deal more you can add all other costs (including payments) to get a total cost of the car per day/km which actually left the wife a little distressed.

Anyway after doing nearly 400 kms on Sunday (Sorry I didn't make it to Devonport) my economy for the day was 9.77L/100km. This is well above the 6.1 advertised on Hyundai's website. Actually it's 62% higher and it was an easy trip cruising between 100-110kms.

While I don't expect to get the advertised figure I would expect better than this. The city rate seems to be very slowly improving so I will see what the next fill says before I decide whether to go back to the dealer.

Offline phuney

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Hobart

• Hobart, Tasmania
Sorry to hear that mate, what fuel are you useing?
also remember it can be very cold in Tassie so they richen till motor warms , if your only doing very short trips it might not be getting full runing temps.

I am using standard Shell. When I lived on the mainland Shell was always the most expensive and I always avoided it (Especially as my bike hated it) but in Hobart it is normally the cheapest and also the most convenient.

It has been a very cold winter this year but the car is in a garage so isn't getting the worst of it

I will try another brand for a few tanks and see what happens. Any suggestions. I have a Caltex and BP close. Any benefits in using premium?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I will try another brand for a few tanks and see what happens. Any suggestions. I have a Caltex and BP close. Any benefits in using premium?

BP diesel appears better than other brands (but not sure about their unleaded) and Premium unleaded is supposed to improve economy at least enough to offset the extra cost by what I've heard (not necessarily on here though)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I tried various brands of UK fuel and have settled on Shell as giving the best return/performance for me.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Same for me in the petrol side folks, You can be sure of Shell!
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Not sure if Shell is better than BP over here..(the wife thinks BP unleaded is better in her Tiida)

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I have been using Caltex Vortex 98 Octane almost exclusively, as it's the closest service station to my house :D

I found that the few times I have used Shell, the car runs a tad differently. Not better, not worse, it just feels a little different under heavier acceleration. Mobil 98 octane and Vortex 98 octane come from the same supplier, so I get Mobil every now and again, and it's no different.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
try BP  as different states the fuel can be better or worse for same brand, they say BP best in Victoria, Shell & Caltex best in NSW. were does the fuel in Tassie come from?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

try BP  as different states the fuel can be better or worse for same brand, they say BP best in Victoria, Shell & Caltex best in NSW. were does the fuel in Tassie come from?

From a tanker I think  :D (I would guess victoria but who knows?)

Offline KaeBee

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
My experience on all counts is the same.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal