i30 Owners Club

poor mpg

hr21 · 13 · 4231

Offline hr21

• 1st Gear
Hi all,

I own a i30 comfort 1.4 petrol

I don't do many miles, had it two months and I've done 507 miles. I generally just drive to work (2 miles away) and then I try to do some good mileage when I can, but its nothing more than 25miles round trips etc.

Problem is, I've only been getting 30mpg, I'm sure I should be getting more than this.

I've been using supermarket fuel and not the 'good' fuel, I may try going to BP instead for a bit for one.

I'm not that heavy on the right foot, is there something wrong with my cars calibration? Or tire pressure? Other than this I love the car, I got it a stonking price too. I couldn't actually afford the diesel.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi hr21 and welcome again (see the fuel spreadsheet thread) :D

To be honest I'm surprised you even get 30mpg with that style of motoring. I presume you're still on your first or second tank of fuel after 500 miles :eek:

You'll be using as much fuel starting your comfort as you use getting the 2 miles to work (well maybe not literally), during which your engine has barely even warmed up.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I agree, I have the 1.6 petrol and have low usage also and generally sit between 28-35 mpg (depending on time of year).
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline hr21

• 1st Gear
thanks for the replies. SO there probably isn't anything wrong with my car?

SHall I do a decent journey 25miles+ and see what MPG I get? THen report back?

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I would say that if you reset the mpg readout and then go on a longer run you should find that you can get the reading to about 38.

Forget the official figures, remember they are done on flat roads at constant speed with one light test driver, we have to deal with roundabouts, traffic lights, 4 people in the car, hills (I watch the mpg drop fairly rapidly going uphill in this area, but the smile comes back when you finally start going down again :D )

Even though our members (most of whom are diesel owners) will think that 38 is laughable, compared to my previous cars I am finding that I am getting between half and 3/4 more miles from the same amount of fuel, those Scoobies fairly drink the juice :eek:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
It'll take most of the 2 mile run to get up to temperature, not ideal conditions for fuel consumption.

Offline Goldfish_8

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Toytown
As per the above post, within 2 miles on a warm day, the engine may just be up to temperature to work efficiently, well the water maybe up to temperature, but the oil is probably not.

May find with the colder mornings and on predominantly short journeys the consumption will go up a little, as the engine will take longer to get up to temperature and you'll probably be using the lights, wipers and demister more.

With my previous petrol powered car I would be lucky to better 17mpg about town and 27mpg on a run, but that was all part of scoob ownership! (WRX with PPP! :twisted:)

Mark

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Even the non-turbo scoobie sucked the juice, I would get about 21mpg in town and 32 on a longer run :eek:

Offline GordonG

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Cairns, Queensland, Australia

• Cairns Australia - MY16 SR Premium, Phoenix Orange
    • GordonG.com
Currently according to my spreadsheet, my 2.0L auto is averaging 28.49mpg (9.93 l/100km). That's over 14 tanks and 6425km.

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain
Im doing 31 mpg on my 1,6 petrol
City driving.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
We have started getting colder this week, it is regularly -2C to +4C when I am doing my travelling and my display has dropped to 30mpg, again city driving.

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Here in the Midlands the temp has been around 8C day and 4C over night. Of the 1100 miles I have driven so far only about 40 miles has been city. So have averaged about 44mpg.

Offline dacho

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb

• Croatia, Zagreb
Well the temperature droped at 0°C and my average is around 12,6 l/100km  :rolleyes:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal