i30 Owners Club

fuel economy question

Offline loosewheel

• 2nd Gear
Okay. Here's question for the knowledgeable owners of petrol i30s.  Does the Trip meter have an "ongoing memory"?  When I first bought my i30, the trip meter said that my fuel usage was "9.8 liters per 100k".  The dealer explained that that was because of the pre-testing of the vehicle.  Subsequently, I have done a short-ish road trip and my trip meter calculated that I got "9.0 liters per 100k".  My manual calculation figured that I actually got "8.5 ltrs per 100k".  Does the trip meter need to be reset or what?  Does the trip meter ever reset or does it keep an ongoing average?  Any wisdom out there? I should mention that I am still a new owner and the car has less that 1000 ks on it the engine.

By the way, the road trip was done over the past weekend here in Victoria and it was pelting down rain.  My i30 handled beautifully in the rain and wet road conditions.  Not once did I feel like I was hydroplaning (like my old pulsar used to!), and it was a very stable and secure feeling ride.

I realized after I opened this post that I should have posted it under "petrol economy"... sorry.

Offline loosewheel

• 2nd Gear
 :P answered my own question.  When the trip meter is in "avg fuel consumption mode" pressing the trip computer button for one second will reset the function to zero.  Still the question remains, does the fuel economy improve with age (like over 1000 ks).

Offline Kimba

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Townsville, QLD, AUS

• Townsville, AUSTRALIA
:P answered my own question.  When the trip meter is in "avg fuel consumption mode" pressing the trip computer button for one second will reset the function to zero.  Still the question remains, does the fuel economy improve with age (like over 1000 ks).

god I hope so, I burnt through 3/4 of a tank in 4 days

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
you need to get up at least 4.000 to 5.000kms before you start to get good fuel consumption figures,and I'm saying this from first hand experience.  :wink: trust me,it will improve dramatically.  :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Kimba

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Townsville, QLD, AUS

• Townsville, AUSTRALIA
hahah everyone keeps teasing me because they think I used so much fuel because I couldn't stop driving it.. but I filled it up with 98 octane fuel on Saturday and it only cost a bit over $40 which I was stoked about!  Just hopefully it won't be $40 every 4 days  :lol: :P

Offline loosewheel

• 2nd Gear
 :exclaim:OKay. Another lame question... can you only buy high octane fuels from shell, bp, caltex...?  What if you purchase from "independents"? 

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
my last car was a v8 and chewed through $80 to$150 a week,so $15 to $30 a week now is excellent.  :razz: last Christmas we took both cars for a big drive and when we got home at the end of the day we had done 490kms each car and only used half a tank each.  :mrgreen:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
:exclaim:OKay. Another lame question... can you only buy high octane fuels from shell, bp, caltex...?  What if you purchase from "independents"? 
independents still buy the fuel from the big company's,they are just not solely committed to buy it from them like the big named servo.

Offline loosewheel

• 2nd Gear
Okay. Reset the Fuel Consumption function on the trip computer.  Zeroed out fine.  Took her out for a short-ish drive, combination of freeway and streets.  The fuel consumption indicates a very high ltrs/kms ratio to begin with.  Then as you drive the ratio starts to reduce.  After about 20 or so kms, my fuel consumption was 7.7/100. Seems to be pretty fine.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal