i30 Owners Club

Tesco Momentum - astonishing claims !

diablo · 11 · 4529

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Since my local Shell station has closed I tend to get petrol at Tesco - sometimes with 5p off per litre, sometimes not.

I was low on fuel the other day and filled up, for some reason with their 99 octane stuff, which I hadn't tried before. 129 per litre I think.

The claims they make on the website are amazing ! About 20% extra MPG.

http://www.tesco.com/momentum99/productBenefits.asp

Hasn't worked on my car yet though. Still 27 MPG on the short trips I do, which has been the norm over the cold weather recently.

I wonder if the advertising standards people have been told about this ?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Since my local Shell station has closed I tend to get petrol at Tesco - sometimes with 5p off per litre, sometimes not.

I was low on fuel the other day and filled up, for some reason with their 99 octane stuff, which I hadn't tried before. 129 per litre I think.

http://www.tesco.com/momentum99/productBenefits.asp

Hasn't worked on my car yet though. Still 27 MPG on the short trips I do, which has been the norm over the cold weather recently.

I wonder if the advertising standards people have been told about this ?

Shell do a similar claim with their V power

http://www.shell.co.uk/home/content/gbr/products_services/on_the_road/fuels/v_power_pkg/

http://www.shell.co.uk/home/content/gbr/products_services/on_the_road/fuels/v_power_diesel_tpkg/
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
If you do only short trip's i doubt you are going to see much difference, but the high octaine fuel is normaly better for your motor.
if on other hand you did a long trip with no stop start driving you might see a gain if you drive normally.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

As far as I can see Tesco don't actually make such a claim.

If you still have it in your tank you might want to try resetting the ECU. Not something I'd normally suggest, but when changing fuel you never know....

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

If you check out the Tesco Fuel Report they do claim an 18.5% average increase over all of the vehicles tested.  :)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

If you check out the Tesco Fuel Report they do claim an 18.5% average increase over all of the vehicles tested.  :)

The report written by thorneymotorsport.co.uk?

I don't recall them being a subsiduary of Tesco. They are some tuning outfit.

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
The graph on the page I linked to does show 20% gains in MPG for some cars, and it is on the official Tesco website.  The front page of the Momentum website is much more modest though, claiming it may save money.

I have tried an ECU reset however, it made no difference at all. :)

p.s. Tesco sponsor Thornley Motorsport, if that is relevant.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
My view is that the "cheaper" brands don't have the full range of additives in the fuel and may, therefore, must have an effect on the inner workings of the engine.

From the day I bought my car I've normally used Shell but on the odd occasion when supermarkets give vouchers for pence off I've used non Shell.  

On these ocassions I've noticed a difference in the way the car performs, for the worst, and when I've refilled with Shell notice a better performance.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

p.s. Tesco sponsor Thornley Motorsport, if that is relevant.

I think that's very relevant. Automatically rules them out as being independant as far as I'm concerened.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Over here the Shell stations are controlled by Coles (one of 2 major supermarket chains we have) and most of the Caltex outlets are controlled by Woollworths (the other major supermarket chain). Both give 4c/litre off with purchases of over $30 at the supermarket (8c through January).
Their latest trick is to drop the price of milk (2L) and bread (baked on site) to $2 each - permanently but at the same time fuel has gone through the roof, to between $1.35 and $1.48/L so there are suggestions the one thing is subsidising the other.

Between the supermarkets, fuel outlets and banks ------Grrrr! :mrgreen:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Their latest trick is to drop the price of milk (2L) and bread (baked on site) to $2 each - permanently but at the same time fuel has gone through the roof, to between $1.35 and $1.48/L so there are suggestions the one thing is subsidising the other.

Between the supermarkets, fuel outlets and banks ------Grrrr! :mrgreen:

I get where you are coming from Trev.. It is clear what they are trying to do ...

Price their competitors out of the market with Bread & milk and then when they have no competitors they will ramp it back up higher  :mad:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal