i30 Owners Club

Rant: 1st World Problems: No Wireless Apple Car Play

Offline Barbarulo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2018 SR Premium PD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6 "Blue"
Probably my biggest gripe with my i30 is that it doesn't have wireless Carplay. It has a Qi charger, so battery drain isn't an issue. But I can't even use the wireless charger with Carplay without the phone overheating. It's created a problem. Hyundai needs to talk to their radio supplier.
  • 2018 SR Premium PD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt turbo DCT, Blue

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Have you reported the overheating issue to Hyundai :undecided: if it’s getting above a certain temperature there could be cause for a recall.

Tests would need to be performed to prove it wasn’t a phone issue though, have you tested without a cover on the phone?

Adding wireless would also increase purchase costs as only the very latest Mercedes - Audi’s etc are starting to use wireless CarPlay systems at an extra cost of 3k :Shocked:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Probably my biggest gripe with my i30 is that it doesn't have wireless Carplay. It has a Qi charger, so battery drain isn't an issue. But I can't even use the wireless charger with Carplay without the phone overheating. It's created a problem. Hyundai needs to talk to their radio supplier.

Apparently there is a hack using a certain app and a wifi dongle that works with Android Auto although I haven't tried it yet. Don't know if there is something similar with Carplay.  :undecided: :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Barbarulo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth

@CraigB  The phone is glitchy and taking it into Apple for other reasons tomorrow, but overheats without a cover. As for the extra cost of wireless... the euros are price gouging, pure and simple. There is no technical reason for it to cost more than a few dollars extra and you can pick up a leading aftermarket wireless head unit for $1000. Apparently, only one of the companies that make OEM units does wireless and this could be changing, but don't know if it affects Hyundai.

@Dazzler I'd heard the same thing. Apple is a bit more locked down, is the problem I think.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Can't you just plug a cable in to charge it  and not have this issue ? :undecided:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
As for the extra cost of wireless... the euros are price gouging, pure and simple.
I know they’re price gouging which is the same for most factory systems, you’ll find your current head unit is already $2200 replacement through Hyundai, adding wireless CarPlay will easily push that cost to 3K.

I was quite surprised when my GD-01 headunit blew up and found out replacement cost for that piece of junk was still $1400 :faint:

Sounds like the phone is the cause of the issue anyway so getting that seen to may help, or trade up for a new one :winker:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 05:50:48 by CraigB »

Offline Barbarulo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth

Can't you just plug a cable in to charge it  and not have this issue ? :undecided:

That's what I do - it's the only way you can use Carplay. There's a recess in the PD model for a phone with a built-in charger, and USB (and accessory plug!) I like to keep the phone in there so that I'm not tempted to touch it while I'm driving. I flip the phone face down so it won't charge from the qi charger, but if it had wireless Carplay I wouldn't have to bother with that step. I use a short cable to keep it neat which is a little bit of a hassle. A long cable is messy... poor first world person problem, me have.

Offline HJM

• 1st Gear

• de Germany
      Frankfurt
Same Problem with my i30 Premium and IPhone X. I use a short cable and switched the Qi Charger to off. So i charge the phone by the cable and the Phone wont heat up. Would be better to use Car play wireless, like Alpine does, because i always forget my phone in the car. :-(
  • 2017 FD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto, Brown metallic

Offline Barbarulo

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth

Same Problem with my i30 Premium and IPhone X. I use a short cable and switched the Qi Charger to off. So i charge the phone by the cable and the Phone wont heat up. Would be better to use Car play wireless, like Alpine does, because i always forget my phone in the car. :-(

Oh.... didn't know you could turn it off! Where?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Barbarulo
didn't know you could turn it off! Where?

Should be in the settings menu.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal