Wheels locked

Offline frisby1971

• 2nd Gear
  • I want to break free

• be Belgium
      Sankt Vith

• He und I
Hello there,
I have tried to search for the answer with key words, but nothing that is matching

We have a Hyundai i30 FD 16v CDRi Diesel 2008.
When we bought her, some times the ‘ESP off’ goes on in the display.
Sometimes it stays there for a while. After a stop, it reveals again but disappears then.
Strange….. the switch underneath the steering wheel does not give the solution. Or it does not work.
But that is not why I post this quest

Lately we experience a major problem
We drive, but after some time the car slows down, the ABS light goes on, the car stops and the wheels are locked for a long time. (At least one hour)
The break paddle can not be pressed down. Resistance.
Does anyone know this problem?
We fixed the break cylinders at the wheels, but now it gets worse…

We get words of advice like: break booster, main break cylinder, ABS pump, ….. pffff
What can it be? Please help. The car is needed for work.

Could it also be a fuse?
I tried to look on the internet for a diagram of our fuse box in engine bay, but not the one we have
Can somebody explain which relay(s) is part of the ABS or ESP system so I can check?
And where can I get new ones if they are broken?
Part numbers will help.
(I try to post a picture of the fuse box as it is in the engine place)
Thanks

Desperately seeking Pal
  • 2008 FD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto, Gray

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi

Do you have a code reader, to check if anything's showing up as pending/faulty? If not, do you know anyone who has one?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline frisby1971

• 2nd Gear
  • I want to break free

• be Belgium
      Sankt Vith

• He und I
Hi

Do you have a code reader, to check if anything's showing up as pending/faulty? If not, do you know anyone who has one?

I have a error reader for OBD bit that days ‚no DTC found‘

Offline PGN I30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Sounds like your brakes are binding, after a while they get so hot they stick on and then trigger the ABS, check your braking system for a siezed caliper on one of the wheels or more.
Also bleed the system with fresh fluid.

Offline frisby1971

• 2nd Gear
  • I want to break free

• be Belgium
      Sankt Vith

• He und I
Sounds like your brakes are binding, after a while they get so hot they stick on and then trigger the ABS, check your braking system for a siezed caliper on one of the wheels or more.
Also bleed the system with fresh fluid.

Thanks for the advice. :happydance:
I have new calipers here, but the weather is not in my advantage. I have to wait till the snow is gone and the rain stops. (Yep, it’s winter and I don’t have a covered space at the moment) :disapp:
It is odd that it takes such a long time untill the wheel are no longer locked.
But I’ll see what I can do. Bleeding is not difficult and I have plenty break fluid. Just need somebody to help pressing the pedals ….  :snigger:
The ASB system had been checked in October as there was a recall for some ASB issue with Hyundai. I send the garage a message to ask if there was any guarantee on the check.
Because ABS and ESP have conflicts during the sticking breaks and locked wheels.
Greeting from a wet Belgium

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
If brake calipers bind, it may not be the actual caliper. It could be the brake pads are sticking in the yoke, the steel casting that holds the pads. Check that the pads are free to slide in the metal shims that clip into the yoke. If they don't, you may have to clean up the surfaces of the shims, and the yoke. I also file the ends of the brake pads to remove sharp corners that can dig into the shims and cause the pads to bind. It may also be the glide pins that the caliper bolts to. The pins should slide freely in and out of the yoke, but they should not feel loose which indicates the grease has dried up. I pull the pins out, clean off old grease, then re-lubricate with brake grease like Permatex. If the pins are corroded, fit new ones, they're not expensive.
  • i30 CRD

Offline frisby1971

• 2nd Gear
  • I want to break free

• be Belgium
      Sankt Vith

• He und I
If brake calipers bind, it may not be the actual caliper. It could be the brake pads are sticking in the yoke, the steel casting that holds the pads. Check that the pads are free to slide in the metal shims that clip into the yoke. If they don't, you may have to clean up the surfaces of the shims, and the yoke. I also file the ends of the brake pads to remove sharp corners that can dig into the shims and cause the pads to bind. It may also be the glide pins that the caliper bolts to. The pins should slide freely in and out of the yoke, but they should not feel loose which indicates the grease has dried up. I pull the pins out, clean off old grease, then re-lubricate with brake grease like Permatex. If the pins are corroded, fit new ones, they're not expensive.

Thanks, I will checked that to
The more answers and directions I get, the more I think it must be the calipers and break fluid

Gr.

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
The calipers are pretty basic. It should be quite easy to push the piston back into the caliper, using a G-clamp or a proper rewind tool. If you can push it back without too much resistance the piston isn't stuck in the caliper, and it shouldn't be holding the pads tight against the disc. Another possibility is a fault with the ABS control unit or brake master cylinder which is preventing the hydraulic pressure being released when you take your foot off the brake pedal. This might be why you can't push the brake pedal down.
  • i30 CRD

Offline frisby1971

• 2nd Gear
  • I want to break free

• be Belgium
      Sankt Vith

• He und I
Another possibility is a fault with the ABS control unit or brake master cylinder which is preventing the hydraulic pressure being released when you take your foot off the brake pedal. This might be why you can't push the brake pedal down.

Thanks. How can I check a ABS controle?
Or should it replaced?

Offline frisby1971

• 2nd Gear
  • I want to break free

• be Belgium
      Sankt Vith

• He und I
I changed the calipers today, refreshed the Fluid, bleeded all air Out.

Took it for a spin, break test, Full stop etc.. nothing wrong, but after 3 or 4 km the discs become hot again and the car slow down because the breaks jams.

It must be the ASB—ESP pomp.
Thinking about a refurbished or second hand one to buy. :crazy1:

Offline frisby1971

• 2nd Gear
  • I want to break free

• be Belgium
      Sankt Vith

• He und I
It must be the ASB—ESP pomp.
Thinking about a refurbished or second hand one to buy. :crazy1:

Has one of you ever replaced a ABS - ESP pump? I located dit in the engine bay, underneath the air filter. Can it be exchanged with a used or refurbished one?
Or do I have to let it be reprogrammed by the dealer? (ESP off spontaneously goes on)
Please let me know before ordering one
Thank you!

Offline frisby1971

• 2nd Gear
  • I want to break free

• be Belgium
      Sankt Vith

• He und I
I have bought a used ABS/ESP device thru the internet with the right part number
Also order extra break fluid and now a time to change this out.
Saw a video on YouTube how-to…
Fingers crossed and hope it will solve the locking issues

Offline frisby1971

• 2nd Gear
  • I want to break free

• be Belgium
      Sankt Vith

• He und I

(I try to post a picture of the fuse box as it is in the engine place)

That was a pictures of the fuse box of another car, sorry  :-[

Offline PGN I30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Don't rule out a collapsed rubber brake hose, I saw this on a Kia Picanto, would lock the pads on the disc.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal