i30 Owners Club

i30 CRDi at Barbagallo - Free rides for club members

Razy · 31 · 8601

Offline Razy

• 2nd Gear
Hi!

We nearly finished all the mods that were on the list for this year and the car will be ready for a test at Barbagallo raceway this coming Thursday (June 18th).

Our team, supported by Hyundai Australia, will offer 5 rides in the rally car for the i30 Owners Club members. They will each consist of 4-5 laps around Barbagallo raceway, and the only condition is that you arrive at the track driving a Hyundai (preferably an i30, but any Hyundai would do). You need to fit in the navigator's seat, which is a size M, and sign a disclaimer form.

The test day starts at 9:00AM and runs until 3:00PM, so if anybody is interested just send me an email (vladrazvan@yahoo.com). Depending on how the testing goes there may be more rides available, but the priority is based on the number of posts that you have on the forum :-) I did not fire up the car after the mods, so if there are any technical issues the test day will run again in July.

I know it is a bit of a short notice, but we did not know if the car will be ready until this weekend. I hope to meet some of you there and show everybody what a diesel car can do!

Regards,

Raz & the i30 CRDi Targa West team

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That's a fantastic offer .. Pity I can't be there  :'( (I'll probably be in WA visiting family sometime in October this year .. a bit late)

But I will be there in spirit.. We have lots of enthusiastic WA members so hope they see this posting in time to participate (I think I'll P.M. some of them)

Thanks again  :D

EDIT.. I only found about 10 members who have posted this year (within driving distance .. so I PM'd those..

Being a working day guess take up might be a bit thin .. but we are all behind you Razy...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hip Hip Hoorazy :D

* searches for his passport *

Nice one Razy :) and good work Dazz looking up the members
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline magicRob

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Continental Silver i30 SR
Pity it's in WA. I'd so be there :)

As mentioned in another post, I took my new SR for a fairly long and windy drive today and thought it would be a great car to run in a tarmac event like that.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Thanks for the offer and I'd like to take it up but for me it's not just a case of "popping down the road for an hour, back at 6 for tea" from here in UK.

So.
Is it possible for someone take a vid from the passenger seat and post it please so I/we can get the thrill as I/we live too far away to be there on the day.

Cheers in advance.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the offer and I'd like to take it up but for me it's not just a case of "popping down the road for an hour, back at 6 for tea" from here in UK.

So.
Is it possible for someone take a vid from the passenger seat and post it please so I/we can get the thrill as I/we live too far away to be there on the day.

Cheers in advance.

Me too... :razz:

Offline Razy

• 2nd Gear
Thanks for the replies, I know it's not easy to be there on a working day but if all goes well there will be another test day in July (the 16th) and it may be easier to plan with more notice!

I will definitely post some footage on youtube. It will be interesting to see how much quicker we'll be this year at Barbagallo, compared to last year when the car was standard (including the tyres)!

Offline Loft

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Unfortunately, won't be able to make it on Thursday (work commitments) but if it goes ahead on June 16th i'll definately be there :).  Be great to meet some fellow members

Oggie
Bummer, being a West Aussie I would love to come along just to see how well it goes. Unfortunately, it's one week too soon. I have work commitments this Thursday, but am off on leave the following week! The second date doesn't work out for me, either (I won't be in the country then). :(

Good luck with the testing session, though.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I've had several PM's back (some who haven't posted here) and the general consensus is they would all love to be there but all have commitments (work or otherwise)

Hopefully someone can make it...

Please give us another reminder closer to July 16th too thanks Razy..

If I was closer I could come (just switch my day off)  :D

Offline GURKHA17

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Darwin

• Darwin,NT, Australia
Yea A video would be great always wanted to be in a racing track. The closest I've come was when I raced my friends on a Go-kart back in 2004. That was fun.

Good luck for your testings

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Damn I just missed out!  I was in the Bass Strait working and didnt see the post, thanks to Dazz for pointing it out to me - but it was too late!

:twisted:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi LD .. How about July 16th?

RAZY.. are you there.. How Did it Go?  8)

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

Hi LD .. How about July 16th?

RAZY.. are you there.. How Did it Go?  8)

Dazz, whats on July 16th? Another track day?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes L-D.. See post #6 from Razy.. in this thread.. Hope you can make that one (shame I'm so far away  :'()

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

I'll put it in my diary, problem is I can be called offshore in a few hours notice.  In my job its really hard to plan anything, hence a lot of my friends dont even bother asking anymore  :'(   If I'm around I'll be there tho!

Offline Razy

• 2nd Gear
Sorry about the late post, we're flying to South America this evening and the misus had me all packing and buying stuff!

The test went really well, we were about 10s/lap quicker on the short track compared to last year. It is an amazing improvement, about 6 secons/kilometer. The car feels quicker and handles much better. I didn't have any more tyre wear issues, I guess the 3deg negative camber and the reduced body roll really did the trick!

I did about 100km and the car didn't miss a beat! I also found a way to get rid of the annoying fuel cut under brakes - I just disconnected the brake lights switch and the ABS/ECU didn't mind this at all. I found the wiring diagram now, so the next step is to disconnect the ECU input.

Everybody who jumped in the passenger seat was very impressed with the car, it actually handles at least as good at the other race cars. Power is still an issue, but I don't think we can get any more out of the 1.6 crdi engine without affecting reliability. I am actually very happy with the engine tune that Martin did, the car is quicker and it pulls a lot better all over the rev range (and there is no embarrassing black smoke at all)!

I also had the opportunity to do a few laps in the rain and we were catching up to the big V8 cars! If it rains during the race I think our chances will be a lot better, but even if it is dry we should be considerably quicker than last year.

The next test day is on July the 16th and I have another 2-3 places available. Just let me know about a week before if you would like to come!

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thanks for the update Razy. Sounds like the motor is [almost] everything you were expecting [and more] :D

I wish I was there..

Still, I'll have to settle for second best as the new Top Gear starts tomorrow (Sunday) here in the UK :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Razy..

You are probably on your way to the airport by now .. Sounds like a great improvement (you might beat some old Ferraris as well as Porsches this year  :eek:)

Did any of our members manage to get there? We were with you in spirit at least...

Have a nice trip away..

Cheers,

Dazz

Offline magicRob

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Continental Silver i30 SR

Oggie
Congratulations Razy, it sounds like it went very well indeed!

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
I think I speak for a lot of members when I say BRING HER OVER TO THE EAST COAST! We'd all love to see her in action!

:D :D :D

Offline Razy

• 2nd Gear
Sorry for the short notice again, but thing have been a bit crazy lately. The second test at Barbagallo raceway is scheduled for tomorrow (Thursday) and the car will be basically the same as it was last time. I am going to try some different tyres and maybe a few settings for the wheel alignment. If anybody would like to come you are welcome, I will be there from 9:00AM until 3:00PM - the i30 will be easy to spot amongst all the Porsches :-)

The signwriting is almost finished, and it will feature the i30 Owners Club web address too!

Raz

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Awesome. Thanks Razy. Wish I could be there, but it's a hell of a flight...

Offline i30Dave

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Adelaide, South Australia - Steel Grey SR i30
    • http://www.i30ownersclub.com

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

Damn!  I'm stuck in Sale, Victoria for work.  :'(

Good luck Razy!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Damn.. I'm stuck in Devonport Tamania (for all sorts of reasons)

But good luck Razy and thanks for including us in your signage  :D

I'll have to try and track you down at the end of October when I get to WA... :D

Offline Razy

• 2nd Gear
Just an update on our test day at Barbagallo: it was wet, very wet and really, really wet! I started with race tyres on the front and road tyres on the rear, but it did not go very well at all - check out the video for what happened!

Once I established that road tyres do not belong on the track things went really well, I even managed to overtake a few of our direct competitors. The new wheel alignment is definitely the way to go, I had no more troubles with the tyres even after 20 continuous laps (which is about the length of the longest stage in Targa West).

Another good outcome was that I ran out of brakes towards the end. This may not seem like a good thing, but it is useful to know how many competitive kilometers I can get from one set of brake pads - and it turns out that this is about 500 km. The pictures do tell the whole story, there is virtually no friction material at all left on the pads. I will have to check if the rotors are not below the minimum thickness, but one thing is sure: the i30 does not need aftermarket brakes, the factory ones with a set of competition pads are really up to the task.

http://picasaweb.google.com.au/razyrally/HyundaiI30TestAtBarbagallo#

I have another short test scheduled on the 1st of August at the Midvale Speed Dome and I also have to get the recce out of the way this weekend. Overall I am really happy with the car, it is easy to drive, very predictable and considerably faster than last year. I have to say that if I had an i30 as a daily driver I would probably spend the $1500 and get the ECU and suspension upgrade - it really makes it feel like a hot hatch, without the fuel bill!

Raz

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey Razy.. thanks for the update.. Guess that makes you our official tester... :D

$1500 doesn't sound like a lot to invest for those sort of results... Does that include the better brake pads...?

Edit: Bit of a Q car.. doesn't look like it's modified except for the roll cage (from outside...)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal