i30 Owners Club

Another win under the belt

Blue · 15 · 4548

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
NRMA's Open Road for July / August has an interesting article....

World Beater Vs Giant-Killer

TDi Golf 6 Vs i30CW CRDi.

Who would have thought, the i30 WINS !!!

Offline Trips

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hey Blue, can you provide a link..?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
This is the site,  but they don't seem to have updated to the REAL current issue yet

http://www.openroad.com.au/currentissue.asp

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Ahh I see. It's a proper magazine that you flick through. Just like the good old days :lol:

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
Yeah, the ones you shove under the mattress... oh, no wait...

Offline Trips

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Looks like they give you a teaser of the current issue then when the next issue comes out they post the older version on that page. so you may have to wait until the next issue for that article to be posted online or you can sign up for the NRMA e-zine.

To receive a monthly link to the ezine, simply sign up for the NRMA Newsletter here (http://tinyurl.com/kpgf99)

you don't have to be a NRMA member to do this.

PS: i got a link to the current e-zine and i can't see it there yet but there are plenty of videos, reviews and facts on the site they redirect you to after signing up to the e-zine.

:)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Can someone scan the article for us

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
Mean time, here's the last couple of paragraphs...

"The case of buying a diesel Golf weakens when you consider VW's new range of powerful yet economical petrol motors. On the other hand, the turbo-diesel CRDi engine is the stand-out of the i30 range and it powers the i30cw to victory in this contest - by a unanimous points decision. It succeeds not by hitting harder, but by delivering solid, enjoyable performance and excellent ease of use in a comfortable package. It's a car for the times and one that we felt fulfilled its brief even better than the Golf.

The VW is a car of great substance. It  has vault-like solidity, performance that exceeds expectations, a fine chassis and it rides especially well. But ultimately the TDI model is undermined by the DSG transmission's hiccups, its premium pricing and the trade-off between space and pace. Yes the Golf is more fun. But it's also flawed. The World Champ spends too much time on the ropes and leaves the ring as a runner-up."

Extract from the July / August Edition of the Open Road.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Blue..

Sounds like it's telling us what we already know...

But we still like hearing it all the same (and it doesn't do our resale values any harm either  :D)

I have a sickness where (after) I buy something I look for good reviews to justify my decision  :lol: (True!)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Scanned article attached, courtesy of Blue (thanks mate :D )

Tis a good read :)

Alternative download in case the attachment goes walkabout...

http://rapidshare.com/files/252499293/9C2D5E3Cd01.pdf

[deleted]

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Hah great test  :D

The first thing that's amazing, is the fact they've decided to do the i30 vs Golf VI test. But it gets even better, when they say that i30 is a better buy.

Some people just go "crazy" when you mention them something bad about VW Golf. Especially in these areas. I know quite some people that own Golf.. You can't even mention them that Golf is not that much better than i30. When I say i30 would be much better then Golf if it had Golfs price, I can see in their eyes, that they just want to kill me :twisted: When I tell them that Golf costs 20-30% more than i30, they just finish it with the sentence: "It's worth its price" OR "Better used (2-3-4 year) old Golf than new i30". When they see some tests where they test VW Golf vs Ford Focus vs Hyundai i30 vs Honda Civic they laugh to see those cars being compared to Golf..nothing funny to me? They get especially irritated when there's Hyundai mentioned in between.

The good part (for me - because I don't like to stand out in that way) is that when you buy a Hyundai i30, people usually comment it: "Hyundai really did a good job" (but they think: it will NEVER be like a VW), "nice car", "it's not that bad".. Well of course some people love the car and can't stop saying good things about it. But if you buy a VW Golf or something like that, it's like you bought a house with the pool and a playground behind.. Even though it's not that much more expensive or it's even cheaper (when buying used one). People never think like that when somebody buys a Honda Civic or I don't know what..

I really don't care about that, but it's so funny. A lot of those people really believe the Golf is the best car in the world and they just can't stop bragging with the fact they own a Golf and how great car it is. I admit that Golf really is a great car, it's solid, has good engines, etc, but the only Golf that really convinces me is Golf GTI or Golr R32..other than that..it's just a normal car damn!  :mrgreen: I'm not saying that i30 is that much better than Golf, but they could also admit, that you CAN put i30 vs Golf and the i30 won't do so bad. And lately also the Golfs have had quite some problems with electronics and some engines. I know 2.0 TDI has some issues and so on.. Before (10years ago) the Golfs really were indestructible, but nowadays..they're normal?  :rolleyes:  
Yes and one more reason they get me mad is when they ask me for the price of an i30, they go commenting: "It really is a nice car, but why didn't you buy 3 years old Golf fully-equipped?! You could have afforded it." Stfu

Offline jasonw

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• i30cw CRDi 1.6 Auto Vivid Blue
Here is the actually report from openroad as two pdf files.

[deleted]

Offline hayseed

• 3rd Gear

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Here is the actually report from openroad as two pdf files.

Thanx Jon seems a bit clearer too..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal