• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline PiL

• 3rd Gear
  • Lord and Master

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

• Pump it Loud
Oohw oohw oohw...!

(If you couldn't tell, I am grunting like tim taylor from tool time)
  • GDe i30 tourer elite diesel

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
200 to 250 km/h used to be commonplace for me in days gone by (work-wise), but not these days.
I survived and wish to continue to do so.   :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I've explored a few of the car's little details via the Owner's Manual, and the better way, via trial and error.  There are a few things that I really like.  The ute has a function similar to HALO, but can be changed by the driver using the "Preferences" menu on start.  You can also programme how the car unlocks and locks (beeps and flashes, just flashes, just beeps, neither; unlocks both doors, unlocks driver's first; unlocks all doors on key removal, unlocks only driver's door).  Each key is "personalised" and remembers your settings for each key (including radio choices and favourites).

Did I mention that it has a bazillion Nm of torque?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Did I mention that it has a brazillion Nm of torque?

Bare talk. :mrgreen:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Did I mention that it has a brazillion Nm of torque?

Bare talk. :mrgreen:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

As George "Dubya" Bush said after being told a Brazilian was killed during a terrorist attack, "How many zeroes are there in a Brazilian?"

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
How much bacon can it carry? :D
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
How much bacon can it carry? :D

Is "lots" a number?  Because it can carry lots of bacon!!

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I don't think it's a rashernal number. :winker:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
unlocks only driver's door

What a strange choice that would be :eek:

So if I read that right, a key can be personalised to just unlock the drivers door. But what if you had that set as a preference and you wanted to put your shopping on the passengers seat, so approached the car from the nearside. Does that mean you'd have to go around to the drivers side (as the passenger door hadn't unlocked) ???

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
unlocks only driver's door

What a strange choice that would be :eek:

So if I read that right, a key can be personalised to just unlock the drivers door. But what if you had that set as a preference and you wanted to put your shopping on the passengers seat, so approached the car from the nearside. Does that mean you'd have to go around to the drivers side (as the passenger door hadn't unlocked) ???

If you press the "unlock" button on the remote again, it opens all doors.  We had this on a previous Commodore.  It is a good feature for the wife heading to the car in a "dodgy" area.  Less chance of unwanted people getting in with her.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I "clay barred" Homer this afternoon, and then gave him a good wax.  He came up a treat, photos to follow.

I was both surprised and not surprised at the amount of "contaminants" that came off the car with the clay bar.  The paint was in very good condition, so I didn't do the whole "paint repair", "polish" and "wax", just the "wax".

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Of course it rained the next day, so the photos didn't turn out the best.

The first photo you can see the clean surface and post wax water bead.  It did come out okay.  During the drive the car basically dried itself.  The bonnet did have the most "contaminants" that were removed during the clay bar process.  It felt like glass after the clay bar work was done.

In the next photo you can see the eldest FatKid with the water beading and running off the car.  After a day of driving in the rain, it still looks clean.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I hesitate to ask.

But what does "BJ" stand for.................. in this instance?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Nice job Jamie!   :goodjob:

When my sore hip settles down I must clay bar and Jet Seal the Calais .. I have a kit.

Apparently it is a good idea to break the clay bar in half in case you drop it during use (and have to throw it away) :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Apparently it is a good idea to break the clay bar in half in case you drop it during use (and have to throw it away) :confused:

Yep, did that (broke it in half, didn't drop it).

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Car looks really nice Jamie :goodjob: have you let the fat kids have a drive of the car around your paddocks their yet :D

That's how my father taught us to drive in the Fiat when we were kids, the paddock down the road was perfect for learning how to control power slides on the grass :honk:

( I took it upon myself to do doughnuts with the L300 in the car park while the parents were dancing :whistler: )

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Car looks really nice Jamie :goodjob: have you let the fat kids have a drive of the car around your paddocks their yet :D

That's how my father taught us to drive in the Fiat when we were kids, the paddock down the road was perfect for learning how to control power slides on the grass :honk:

( I took it upon myself to do doughnuts with the L300 in the car park while the parents were dancing :whistler: )

We are only on half an acre, so our "paddock" isn't that big.  The ones that you can see in the photos are the neighbours, and a bit rough (i.e. full of ditches) for the ute.  I do plan to teach them to drive in a paddock though (less things to hit).  I have explained to my sons that they can drive the ute on their Learner's Permit, but not on their Provisional Licence (I won't let them).

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I have explained to my sons that they can drive the ute on their Learner's Permit, but not on their Provisional Licence (I won't let them).
Spoil sport :snigger: I learnt to drive in the paddock when I was 11 and once learning there dad used to take us up to the dam every few weeks as we knew the ranger and he'd let us do the circuit around the dam :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 05:19:22 by CraigB »

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Clay bars are awesome. Dealer in Tamworth I was with clayed every car before sale. Probably don't do it anymore but even on brand new paint it made a difference.

I learnt to drive at 12 on Stockton Beach. One of my favourite places to drive.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockton_Beach
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Clay bars are awesome. Dealer in Tamworth I was with clayed every car before sale. Probably don't do it anymore but even on brand new paint it made a difference.

I first used a clay bar on our previous Commodore, and was astounded at the difference it makes to the paint's surface.  As I've said, it felt like glass after the clay bar.  If the paint had of warranted it, I would have done the paint repair, polish and then wax, after the clay bar.  It comes out awesome!!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Looks really good, Jamie.   :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Gotta love that Aussie V8 torque.   :mrgreen:

Wabbit16@ once it hit 220kph the rev limiter would have cut in :wink:

Rev limiters and Speed limiters are easily disabled,if you know how,still plenty of Rigs pulling 130 kph across the paddock
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Gotta love that Aussie V8 torque.   :mrgreen:

Wabbit16@ once it hit 220kph the rev limiter would have cut in :wink:

Rev limiters and Speed limiters are easily disabled,if you know how
The comment was in reference to the stock versions but I do know how :)  I had nearly every sensor removed or disabled on the clubby and the rev limiter is the easiest one to disable in a couple of minutes when plugged into the OBD port via the laptop :goodjob2:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal