i30 Owners Club

My chariot from the past

Johnno · 14 · 2881

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Sorry Admins can you please move this in the right section . I don't know how to do it

this is one of my previous motors which is now sadly written off by the new owner after owning it for a grand total of 3 weeks  :(

Bought this new from dealer, after six months I decided to do a little re work on it, first was to get it tinted, and I put 18'' rims on but it didn't sit right so I ordered a full set of adjustable coil overs front and rear and changed the headlights brought in from Germany.

Next job about 4 months later was to work on the engine this was a bit more challenging to get it right without swapping major components and getting the most hp out of the powerplant, I had to do this all in one go, I booked 3 days at the tuners workshop to do all the work, one day to do the engine work and I booked 2 days for the rolling road which didn't come cheap. All the work was carried out by me except for welding, spraying, and remapping. I also had to book into a bed & breakfast for 2 nights as this was down south from where I lived.

first was fitting a 9ltr intercooler I had to rework the front a bit to make it fit and get more air to it and I replaced the front bumper which had bigger air vents which helped, I had already bought this and had it resprayed and took it to the tuning shop ready for fitting then I reworked the top hat with a dremel to get better air flow going through it. exhaust system Bastuck ali racing system 3'' through system with one back box and a 100 cell racing cat from Germany, all air and turbo pipes replaced, the rubber pipe going from the turbo to the inlet of the intercooler was remade of steel as this was quite long they thought it would be better being made of steel so it wouldn't expand and contract under boost, injectors were changed larger flow one's and a high pressure fuel pump was fitted . A Forge motorsport waist gate was and a blow off valve was fitted. Also fitted auto count down engine timer which read how hard the engine has been working and when you switch the  engine off  and remove the keys it would calculate how long to let the engine idle before shutting it down it also had a safety feature so no one could nick the car.

This was the first Zlet engine in the uk to be tuned without having any internal or turbo replacements so I was going to be the guinea pig for all the other folks.

The rolling road was challenging and frightening when you see your turbo glowing a nice bright yellow.
As this as never been done before the tuner was in partnership with another tuner in Belgium who had experience with the zlet engine.
I don't know exactly how this was done as this was way back in 2001 and I was that clued up on pc's, but the guy in Belguim would send a map to the tuner's computer over here and then it was uploaded to my OBD2 port then it was ran on the rollers we saved the log and this was sent back over to Belgium he made some adjustment's and sent it back this went on all day as we were having problems midrange with a flatspot and not being able to maintain boost.
next day we discovered that the air intake was a lot hotter than excepted so we changed the open induction kit for a viper enclosed one, we had sensors fitted into the intake pipe after the intercooler for monitoring and this made a big difference but was still not right, what we did find and cure was that the new 100 cell cat diameter was smaller than the new exhaust . So the welder got to work again and modified the cat and mated it up to the exhaust with no restrctions, We ran it up again on the RR and sent the reading's  back to be analysed  and a new modified map was then sent back and fitted and that found to be excellent.

End result 278bhp 395nm with 1.5 bar boost . GPS speed 162mph not on a public highway cough cough officer
I had this chariot for 10yrs and it ran solid doing track days,  did many shows promoting it for the tuner.
 sorry for making so long winded but I thought you would like to know

« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 02:48:41 by Johnno »
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Sad it ended the way it did.  :fum: :undecided:

Did you have an accompanying female to give you grief over all this work at the time  :question: :whistler:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
nah I was divorced at the time but did hook up with another girl and that put paid to my boy racer antic's , I was in my 50's  :lol:
pity because there was another guy I knew who was older still and managed to shoe horn a holden Monaco LS1 engine into the same model as mine and convert it to rear wheel drive and I must say it was a work of art . so my days playing with motors are well and truly over .
https://z22se.co.uk/threads/pete-manns-monster-astra-coupe.9815/

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Looks like one nice ride.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for sharing Johnno  :goodjob: ... Sorry to hear it was destroyed.  :fum:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Here's another from the 90's

BMW 323i, not much done to this, griffin motorsport head, lower body kit and rims

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Now that is very nice!  :mrgreen:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Speaking of BMW's I noticed Rockingham Hyundai already has two 325's sitting in the yard after being traded in for the Genesis  :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Speaking of BMW's I noticed Rockingham Hyundai already has two 325's sitting in the yard after being traded in for the Genesis  :)

:goodjob:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
That's a nice beemer :)

Why haven't you put GIB577 onto your i30? I see it's still registered to the Astra Turbo Coupe.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
That's a nice beemer :)

Why haven't you put GIB577 onto your i30? I see it's still registered to the Astra Turbo Coupe.

Has that been put back on the road ? Last time I heard about it was from the person who bought it and said it was a insurance write off.

I sold it with the Astra, even though I had the original plate on retention, but the lad didn't want all the hassle of transferring things about so I made a tidy bit of profit on the plate.

I bought the plate originally for the beemer for peanuts just to hide the year of the car, but it had no meaning to me,
When people asked what does GIB stand for I just said   'Good In Bed'  I know what your all thinking that i'm a lying ^&%$$  :lol:

Nothing like bragging when it comes to the bedroom department :happydance:

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 10:35:16 by Johnno »

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Well it's certainly insured ok :D

My in-laws cars (3) all have the Northern Ireland GIB prefix, as that's part of their surname.

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Just done a search on the plate and came up with this

looks like someone as took a hammer to it, maybe cat C or D write off

The lad who bought it from me came from Redcar up North east

:link: GIB 577 - anyone know this astra coupe turbo?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal