i30 Owners Club

Noisey Air con compressor

Offline ComfortMatt

• 2nd Gear
Any one else have this?  I know they wont be silent, but one of the things i do love about my car is how quiet it is, so many people have asked me if its even running when its on, one guy asked if it was electric  :eek: BUT when the A/C goes on, the whirring and high pitch whine kicks in. It varies with the engine speed, obviously so i know its the ac, turn it off and it is silent again. Air con still works great. I just wondered if it was a model related thing or something to moan about, it has only done 1700 miles so a way off the service yet.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Mine is manual air con.

It's very quite except when I have the blower on number 4 then it is very very noisy.

1 and 2 you can't hear the blower.

3 you know it is there.

But 4. Well it is very very noisey.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi Matt.

Well, supporting Watford and living in London. You deserve a few noisy moments :lol:

Anyway, you have the same model as eye30 so I'm surprised it's noisy, although you have the petrol Comfort; I wonder if that makes any difference...?

Here, no noise whatsoever. The reason for that is... I never use the a/c :D (but on the odd occasion I have done, it was completely silent apart from the fan, which is more of a whooshing sound)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

ouri30
Any one else have this?  I know they wont be silent, but one of the things i do love about my car is how quiet it is, so many people have asked me if its even running when its on, one guy asked if it was electric  :eek: BUT when the A/C goes on, the whirring and high pitch whine kicks in. It varies with the engine speed, obviously so i know its the ac, turn it off and it is silent again. Air con still works great. I just wondered if it was a model related thing or something to moan about, it has only done 1700 miles so a way off the service yet.

Just a thought:

Is it the a/c compressor or is it the electric fan that kicks in when the a/c is running that is making the noise?

Bob

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
It's a compressor that kicks in. You can't expect to run very quietly, which I assume you know. Also, it doesn't matter (in the case of the compressor) how high your fan is up, as the compressor is simply an on or off mechanism.

The simple fact is that it could be knocking on something (highly odd in a new car), or even that you've become so used to the quiet car that you hear this, and that you're so surprised by it!!

Offline ComfortMatt

• 2nd Gear
Hi Guys,

Its definitely the compressor in the bay. Nothing to do with the fan. Just wondered if anyone elses was noisey. But there are a lot of noisey oil burners :wink: :wink: so i suppose its difficult to tell  :lol: :lol:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
No noise from my compressor
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Guys,
Its definitely the compressor in the bay. Nothing to do with the fan. Just wondered if anyone elses was noisey. But there are a lot of noisey oil burners :wink: :wink: so i suppose its difficult to tell  :lol: :lol:

I'd be getting it checked out at the next service my i30 compressor is as quiet as a mouse (the one in our 2006 Getz was a bit noisy at times -used to squeak or squawk a bit from memory when it first cut in)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ComfortMatt

• 2nd Gear

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal