i30 Owners Club

Wiring for aftermarket stereo to the steering wheel controls

Offline 52766jason

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi, just wondering if anyone knows the wiring for installing an aftermarket stereo to the steering wheel controls?

I just got a new stereo that has 3 wires for the steering wheel controls, but not sure where to connect them.
Found the following image of the plug on the pac-audio site: 
http://www.pac-audio.com/SWI/SWIAppGuide.aspx?appguideid=478&swiModel=Elantra&swiYear=2009&swiMake=Hyundai&swiProduct=SWI-JACK&swiRadioManu=OEM&swiOptions=Radio

Im sure some of the forum users have already done this, so I'd really appreciate if anyone can tell me which wires to use???

• 2009 i30 CRDi Hatch

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I can't answer your question, but welcome to the forum.  :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
If you don't get any joy soon and you want to have a go at it yourself, examine the cables heading to the factory unit and provide descriptions and images and we'll provide an approach to determine which goes where ... and  :welcome:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline 52766jason

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
This thread might help: Adding Steering wheel Audio Controls

Offline 52766jason

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thanks Gonz, I've already got steering wheel controls, Im just trying to find out where to connect the steering wheel controls to my new stereo.

My new stereo has 3 wires for steering wheel controls, so I need to know which wires to connect them to on the i30's?
The plug in the i30 looks like this mock-up diagram of the conector.

Would be great if anyone can help point me the right way.

Or does anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram? I havent found anything usefull online yet...

• 2009 i30 CRDi Hatch

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I offered that thread in case anyone else who had gone through fitting the controls had dealt with the interfacing. What kinds of tools/instrumentation do you have? If you had a logic probe (or even a multimeter used in a suitable way) you could explore which contacts change their voltage or impedance when pressing on the wheel buttons.

This is reverse engineering in the finest tradition, done many times by yours truly (Google 'GonzPlip' for one example) and resulting after several iterations in schematics where none previously existed.

Offline 52766jason

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hoped someone already had an answer, if not, then I'll have to go to Jaycar tomorrow to get a multimeter, will post the findings anyways.
  • 2009 i30 CRDi Hatch

Offline 52766jason

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thanks again Gonz for the suggestion, I got a cheap multimeter from jaycar so I could test the wiring today.

Looks like my i30 only uses 2 wires for the steering wheel controls, the Green & Black wires in the middle green section of the plug, as shown below.

I've now wired up my aftermarket stereo & tested the steering wheel controls successfully, yay.

Anyways hope this helps others in future, but considering the multimeter was cheap or even less on ebay, Id suggest testing your own car before proceeding.
Cheers...
  • 2009 i30 CRDi Hatch

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
That's awesome, Jase, really happy it went well once you could look at the wiring a bit closer.  :happydance:
...AND you graduated from seeking to providing value.  :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Well done Jason :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal