i30 Owners Club

DAB tuner fitted in New shape (2012) I30

Offline Tigerfeet13

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Birmingham
Hi All.

After my Hyundai dealer declined to fit a DAB tuner I went to a local fitter to have the job done today.

The kit I chose was as follows

Kinetic Digitizor hideaway DAB tuner
http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/Kinetic_digitizor_DAB_DAB_plus_DMB-A_car_radio.html

Kinetic DEGA-4001 Glass mount aerial with 5 metres of los loss cable
http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/Kinetic_DEGA-4001_glass_mount_DAB_car_aerial.html

Aerial Adapters as the Hyundai aerial is not a standard DIN or ISO type.
http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/MediaDAB_Hyundai-Kia_FM-AM_aerial_adaptor_cables.html

Access to the Factory head unit was fairly straight forward, the 2 silver trims around the air vents needed removing carefully as they are held on by a number of plastic clips.  Once the trim is removed the screws holding the head unit in are exposed.

As you can hopefully see from the photos the unit hides away neatly in a void behind the factory head unit. 
The fitter needed to make a small cut in the trim around the rear quarter light window inside the car for the aerial cable.
It took the fitter about an hour to fit initially but then he had a couple of little problems.

The first power feed he tried (not sure where from) blew a fuse.

The second power feed from one of the Cigarette lighter power sockets worked fine with one little snag.

The third feed from the live into the stereo also worked fine with the same little snag.

The snag (or snags being) that the ignition needs to be on for the DAB unit to be powered, secondly when the car restarts from Autostop the drop in current causes the DAB unit to momentarily turn off and back on again.
There does not seem to be a way around this, I assume there is some battery or system within the factory head unit to prevent the changes in power supply causing the head unit to do the same.

All in all a good result. I am a happy man having DAB in the car.

Hope some other users find this useful.
  • I30 Active 1.6 CRDi 110PS Diesel Blue Drive Manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :thanx: :Agoodpost:

Can we see the fitted product please  :D
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Tigerfeet13

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Birmingham
Nothing to see when fitted, it's hidden behind the factory head unit.
It can be seen in the second photo.

When in action the DAB station that is tuned to is displayed on the factory head unit.

I will take a picture of it in action in the next few days.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
Interesting. I wonder why this is not available in the head unit itself. In Canada some years ago the Hyundai Sonata we had was fitted with sat radio for example.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Nothing to see when fitted, it's hidden behind the factory head unit.
It can be seen in the second photo.

When in action the DAB station that is tuned to is displayed on the factory head unit.

I will take a picture of it in action in the next few days.
That seems quite clever, I'm not sure how they do that with analogue connections ??

I used to have a Sony DAB/FM radio in my Renault but it wouldn't easily fit into the i30. I did wonder about getting a Pure Highway Dab bolt-on but didn't bother - reception is patchy if I travel more than a few miles north.

Offline Tigerfeet13

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Birmingham
Here are a couple of picture of the unit in operation.

The pictures show the DAB tuner receiving BBC Radio 6 Music and BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra, both DAB only stations.

The stations are changed using a credit card sized remote, which is living in one of the cup holders at the moment.

Offline Tigerfeet13

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Birmingham
I used to have a Sony DAB/FM radio in my Renault but it wouldn't easily fit into the i30. I did wonder about getting a Pure Highway Dab bolt-on but didn't bother - reception is patchy if I travel more than a few miles north.

I had a Blaupunkt Woodstock DAB 54 in my X Trail, but that wouldn't fit in the I30.

I did use a Pure Highway DAB add on unit. I quickly gave up with the rubbish aerial supplied with it, but had much better results with an external magnetic aerial.  Will probably fit the Pure Highway to my wife's I20 for the occasional times I drive it. 

Offline immx

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Essex

....Access to the Factory head unit was fairly straight forward, the 2 silver trims around the air vents needed removing carefully as they are held on by a number of plastic clips.  Once the trim is removed the screws holding the head unit in are exposed.....

I don't suppose you have any pictures of the silver trims once removed, just to see where the clips are so I don't snap them  :Shocked:

Offline Tigerfeet13

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Birmingham
Sorry, I didn't get a picture of them.

But I know the fitter started at the top and worked down.

Hope that helps.

Offline ponto

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK

....Access to the Factory head unit was fairly straight forward, the 2 silver trims around the air vents needed removing carefully as they are held on by a number of plastic clips.  Once the trim is removed the screws holding the head unit in are exposed.....

I don't suppose you have any pictures of the silver trims once removed, just to see where the clips are so I don't snap them  :Shocked:

I found this

while trying to find out for myself, looks very easy - hope so I'm going to try for myself once I've done a bit more research, did anyone actually do this?
  • i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Ponto (good find)  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal