i30 Owners Club

Volvo to enter V8 Supercars

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Here's an interesting one.

Whilst the Chevrolet addition to the ranks is still up in the air due to a number of factors, it appears that Volvo will make an announcement today at 11.30 am Brisbane time concerning it's plans to join the ranks of Holden, Ford, Nissan and Mercedes in V8 Supercars.

Volvo is conducting a press release of its S60 Polestar onto the Australian market and insiders expect the V8 Supercar announcement will piggyback it. I used to enjoy going to these events in my younger days as a motor sport journo. Would love to be at this one.

An interesting sidelight (and something I wasn't aware of) is that Volvo does not make a V8 engine anywhere in the world and the expecation is that they will use a "generic" Chevrolet engine.

The long standing Garry Rogers Motorsport which has traditionally used Commodores and has a history of giving a "hand up" to promising young drivers with considerable success will field the Volvo's.

I'll update this as more news come to hand.

There is also speculation that Toyota may yet join in. More here https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=22476.new#new

Also, on at least two occasions now I have heard Mark Skaife use Hyunda (and Korea) as a "for instance" when talking about future plans. In the latest comment he said words to the effect (in realtion to where they would look for future overseas races) that if there was a Korean manufacturer obviously we would have a Korean round.
On an earlier occasion he used the i45 as an example of the type of car which would suit the category. I'm sure he's talking to them and because they are at the top of his mind, he keeps mentioning them.

But that's just speculation on my part.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Confirmed..................

VOLVO have officially been announced as the newest manufacturer to join V8 Supercars with the Swedish car giant set to link with Garry Rogers Motorsport for the 2014 season.

Joining Holden, Ford, Nissan and Mercedes, Volvo will become the fifth V8 Supercars manufacturer after Volvo confirmed it was joining the series at a press conference in Brisbane today.

Volvo and Garry Rogers Motorsport will become Volvo Polestar Racing from next year with the newly formed outfit to race two V8 Volvo S60s.

“I’m delighted to announce our return to motorsport in Australia,” said Matt Braid, Volvo Car Australia Managing director.

“Volvo has a rich motorsport heritage in this country, including winning Australia’s most famous race, Bathurst, 15 years ago this coming October.

“As the first luxury car brand to enter a factory team in the V8 Supercars Championship, we’re determined to add to this heritage, while strengthening the presence of the S60 model line and the Volvo brand here in Australia.”

James Warburton, CEO, V8 Supercars, applauded the addition of Volvo to the series.

“To have another prestigious brand like Volvo in our sport is a red letter day for V8 Supercars,'' Warburton said.

“The strength of V8 Supercars is such that global brands, not limited to car manufacturers, are becoming increasingly aware of and directly involved in the business.

“It is my vision to build V8 Supercars into one of the strongest brands in the world with the partners to match. That is the level of untapped potential I believe this sport has.

“I am extremely delighted to have Volvo in our sport and congratulate Garry and his team on becoming the official Volvo factory team in V8 Supercars.”

Volvo Polestar Racing is a partnership between Volvo Car Australia, Polestar and Garry Rogers Motorsport, and it will be the official Volvo factory racing team.

Nissan and Mercedes both entered the traditional two way fight between Holden and Ford this year after the introduction of the "Car of the Future'' program headed by former V8 championship Mark Skaife.

The program sees each V8 team use control components on their cars which make it easier for new manufacturers to enter the series.

I find the highlighted comment strange.
Is Mercedes NOT a luxury car brand?
Also, shouldn't it be "Volvo HAS officially been announced.........?"  :undecided:

Anyway, welcome aboard Volvo.

White hats optional.  :p

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
And another thing. Isn't Volvo now owned by Chinese interests? So maybe it's the Swedish/ Chinese car giant?  :happydance:

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Whilst Volvo and other manufacturers may have "entered" the series, the cars that are raced are hardly representative of what we drive.

These cars are all based on the same platform, use the same running gear, wheels, brakes, suspension and so on.

They are all the same dimensions, despite their road going equivalents being of different sizes (longer Commodore, for example).

All they are doing is to bolt on some panels that make it look like it's a Volvo, Nissan or whatever.

In other words, it's NASCAR but without the boring circular racing. But, if that's what the people who go and watch these races want, who am I to criticise?
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Whilst Volvo and other manufacturers may have "entered" the series, the cars that are raced are hardly representative of what we drive.

These cars are all based on the same platform, use the same running gear, wheels, brakes, suspension and so on.

They are all the same dimensions, despite their road going equivalents being of different sizes (longer Commodore, for example).

All they are doing is to bolt on some panels that make it look like it's a Volvo, Nissan or whatever.

In other words, it's NASCAR but without the boring circular racing. But, if that's what the people who go and watch these races want, who am I to criticise?
Absolutely right.
Makes for closer racing and no manufacturer who commits to it has any great fears of being embarrassed as used to happen in the old touring cars categories.
At the end of the day, manufacturers can spend a portion of their advertising budgets on a race car team and get their brand name out there. Meanwhile motor sport followers get some good racing to make it worth their while.
And, I have to say, both Nissan and Mercedes are already running in the top ten which I didn't expect to see so quickly.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The latest press releases are suggesting there IS a V8 Volvo engine available.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The latest press releases are suggesting there IS a V8 Volvo engine available.

Yes I saw that Trev...

"Although Volvo does not currently have an eight cylinder engine in its road car range, it is thought likely that the 4.4 litre V8 previously seen in the S80 and XC90 will be developed into a 5.0 litre unit fitting to V8 Supercars’ rules."

from here...

http://www.speedcafe.com/2013/06/17/volvo-v8-supercar-effort-set-for-launch/
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
 The Merc is NOT a factory entry. If you got enough coin, you can get the exact same bits from AMG as Erebus does. This is probably what the article refers to.

Add to the typo cue:  "Car of the Future" program headed by former V8 championship Mark Skaife
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The Merc is NOT a factory entry. If you got enough coin, you can get the exact same bits from AMG as Erebus does. This is probably what the article refers to.

Good point. I'd overlooked that.
But isn't "Polestar" also a separate entity? I guess if Volvo put their name to it that works.
The mercs are actually listed as "Erebus" not Mercedes, so that ties in with what you are saying.

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Polestar appears to be the Volvo racing division, same as TRD for the "fridge on wheels" maker, AMG for Merc and so on.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

same as TRD for the "fridge on wheels" maker,

:argh: :TutTut:  :evil:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
You now have a smoking puss avatar, Dazz?  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Was due for a change .. I might have a fridge on wheels for my next one..  :whistler:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Was due for a change .. I might have a fridge on wheels for my next one..  :whistler:

:lol:  Will it run on batteries?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Possibly  :winker:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Of course they run in catteries - it's what they do there :rolleyes:

Oh sorry, misread what you typed  :snigger:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Of course they run in catteries - it's what they do there :rolleyes:

Oh sorry, misread what you typed  :snigger:

Thanks for the flatteries.  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Trev, think Ford owned Volvo, but sold it a year or so back.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
So the idea is to keep the crowd entertained with more crashes  :snigger:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Hell, yeah! :goodjob:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Will they put a hat on the rear shelf?

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
If the crowds like endless laps with pace cars, then yeah...
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal