i30 Owners Club

Quiet tyres for i30

Lester · 124 · 60165

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
OK comrades, so when my Hankook tyres need replacing on the i30, can anybody recommend a quieter tyre, considerable road noise with ye old Hankooks. :whistler:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
OK comrades, so when my Hankook tyres need replacing on the i30, can anybody recommend a quieter tyre, considerable road noise with ye old Hankooks. :whistler:
What size do you have, Lester?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
There is a quiet continental that Alan has used and I think Rusty used similar (hopefully they will post a link to their threads)  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Continental Premium Contact 2

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=6874.0

Can't put my finger on Alan's post just now.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
No,,,,, don't go there, Phil.  :snigger:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Yes, the Continentals are the one.
Alan's research shows the 2's are the quietest but my tyre shop says the 5's are a very good tyre too.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

Chicken  :lol:,I WILL  :twisted:,bugger me(Oh! Shouldn't say that,it might happen)surferdude didn't think you were that way inclinded  :rofl:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Chicken  :lol:,I WILL  :twisted:,bugger me(Oh! Shouldn't say that,it might happen)surferdude didn't think you were that way inclinded  :rofl:
Bloody hell.

Alan's post.
Rick's member.
UM's erlection.

There's a scary trend developing here. :scared:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I'm happy to recommend  Continental's Comfort Contact 5's, Lester.....They are noticeably quieter and I find they grip well in the wet....  :goodjob:

http://www.continental-tyres.com.au/www/tyres_au_en/themes/car-tyres/compact-class-tyres/comfort-contact-5.html

Dave got to drive my car recently so perhaps he can give you some feedback too..... :undecided:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Continental Comfort Compact tyres do not seem to be available in the UK.

The news from Continental about noise reducing tyres is this...

http://www.continental-tires.com/www/tires_de_en/themes/car-tires/contisilent.html

It seems that these revolutionary tyres are currently only available with some new Audi vehicles. I guess they will find their way onto the replacement market eventually. I am very interested in getting these ASAP.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
What size do you have, Lester?

16 inch - the gunmetal alloys, peculiar to the i30 Trophy. :D

And thanks to all for the replies. ;)
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
I went shopping for Continentals last week. I would not fit Kumhos again as the original kumho tyres were that noisy and rough I could not hear the navigator (wife) speaking. When I mentioned this to the local Kumho dealer he said he had four only Bridgestone Euro100 @ $130 each, drive away. I had read here on another post that Bridgestone Euro100 were good tyres and quite. I had four fitted and they are  that quite I can now hear every word the navigator says. Have I erred?
In other respects they are far better riding than the original Kumhos, real quite and I hope will return more than 37,500k.  Does anyone suggest any particular brand of earmuffs?
I have only done 800K to date.
  • i30 CW CRDI 1.6l Auto 2011

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Does anyone suggest any particular brand of earmuffs?

Kumho
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Road66

• 2nd Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium, Liege
Hi friend,

Me, but my i30 too, recommend the Yokohama tyres, don't know if available in your country but, very silent with a excellent grip and long life too.
I use the 205/55/16 w91 on my i30 for summer and Vredestein for winter  :goodjob2:
About $154 (116 €) by tyre (Yokohama and Vredestein) here in Belgium, perhaps less cost if i search in others shop
  • One of first of the first Hyundai I30 (06-2007)

Offline bryand

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Loughborough
I have Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance tyres on mine and I'm very pleased with them; quiet, grippy in wet and dry and slightly better fuel consumption.  Worth a look if you can find them.
  • 2011 FD i30 1.6 Diesel

Offline Road66

• 2nd Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium, Liege
I have Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance tyres on mine and I'm very pleased with them; quiet, grippy in wet and dry and slightly better fuel consumption.  Worth a look if you can find them.
I've already this, yes very good and not to bad, as like you said, yes.
But Yokohama, for me, because testing it, are more better, you can trust me  :winker:
  • One of first of the first Hyundai I30 (06-2007)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The Efficient Grip is available in Oz. As are the Yokos,
Both very quiet but Yokos generally wear more quickly.
We have some limos using the Efficient Grip.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Having read - indeed studied - just about every crumb of information I can find about tyre generated cabin noise I have come to the conclusion that with conventional tyre design and materials you have to pay a price in other parameters to reduce tyre noise.

If you seek responsive handling in a car - then the tyre walls need to be relatively stiff. Low profile tyres achieve this simply by being low profile with short wall height. However - stiff side walls transmit noise generated in the tread far more than more pliable walls. Hence it is generally true that tyres that handle well tend to be noisier than those that don't.  Also - the tread pattern for achieving optimum grip runs contrary to that which would produce the least noise.

If your mission is tyre life - then you will be looking at tyres with a relatively hard tread compound. The side effects of this are usually less grip and more noise.

If you seek good grip in wet conditions then the tyre compounds tend to be softer and the tread pattern is designed to channel water away quickly. The softer compound will wear more quickly and the water channels will generate more noise. Attempts to increase tread life by the use of more exotic materials in the compound will significantly impact tyre cost.

Hence the mission to produce a truly quiet tyre is fraught with compromises in terms of handling, grip (especially wet grip), tyre life and cost.

This is why I am very keen to discover whether Continental have truly made a break through with their new technology which includes adding a layer of special foam inside the tyre. It is the first development I am aware of where a manufacturer has moved away from simply fiddling with all the other parameters I have mentioned and moved into new uncharted territory.

I have written to Continental today on the topic - if I get an interesting reply I will let you know.

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I  highly recommend Bridgestone GR90.  I had a similar issue with a Peugeot 307. It also has a firm ride as per i30 and with tyre noise.  I changed from OEM continentals to the GR90s and made a massive difference. The noise was significantly reduced and the softer tyre wall also improved the ride quality. I'm also waiting for my Hankooks to wear out

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Alan, I'm sure you can convince them to give you 4 brand new tyres so you can act as test pilot..

:happydance: :snigger:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Alan, I'm sure you can convince them to give you 4 brand new tyres so you can act as test pilot..

:happydance: :snigger:

I might write to them to, just in case they want testers. :)

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
Bit off topic, but going back a while, when most of us did not have money, raising kids, paying mortgages, we had to buy re tread tyres for ye olde family jalopy, well I did.  Anybody remember that? :Shocked:

• FD i30 Trophy

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Bit off topic, but going back a while, when most of us did not have money, raising kids, paying mortgages, we had to buy re tread tyres for ye olde family jalopy, well I did.  Anybody remember that? :Shocked:
I actually ran my rally car on retreads for a couple of years.
175R13 on the front and 185/70R13 on the rear. Made in a Pirelli wintertread pattern by a guy on the Redcliffe peninsular. Was always competitive at state level and never had a failure.
The key was to pick very carefully the casings used to retread.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I'm happy to recommend  Continental's Comfort Contact 5's, Lester.....They are noticeably quieter and I find they grip well in the wet....  :goodjob:

http://www.continental-tyres.com.au/www/tyres_au_en/themes/car-tyres/compact-class-tyres/comfort-contact-5.html

Dave got to drive my car recently so perhaps he can give you some feedback too..... :undecided:

I did indeed drive Rusty's car and the tyres are definitely noticeably quieter than the Kumhos on my previous car and Nexens on my current one.
One proviso though is I don't know how coarse bitumen in WA compares to coarse bitumen in Victoria.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I have received a reply from Continental UK as follows..

Thank you for taking the time to write.

I understand that for some cabin noise can be a significant problem. The new Euro tyre labelling can provide some information but as this is an external noise test it does not give a direct indication of cabin noise and sometimes it is as much about the frequencies as it is the noise level.

One consideration for you is therefore the tyre size and profile because a lower profile wider tyre will always be noisier than a narrower higher profile tyre, but I understand you already have the tyre size determined on your vehicle.

The new contiSilent is only available in a few sizes because it was developed primarily for the requirements of one specific vehicle manufacturer and unfortunately is not available in the 215/55 R16.

Of our tyres I would advise looking at the ContiEcoContact5 as this will probably be the quietest although our PremiumContact5 will be pretty close.

Regards

Mr. Gwyn Fennell
Technical Service Manager UK & Ireland

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
At least they replied!
Not like a certain other company.......who shall remain nameless.........

They gave a balance opinion so one can make an informed choice.......

Thanks Alan....
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :whsaid: :ta:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

The contact5 is what my tyre guy recommended.
I find that my tyres are at their quietest when completely stationary.
Is this normal?  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal