i30 Owners Club

Indicator cancels prematurely

Offline waynebee

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Dubbo
Hi People, I have been a quiet i30 owner...  but I now have a problem. It is with the indicators as well. When I indicate to turn Right at a roundabout, then enter the roundabout with a slight left turn of the wheel to the left, my indicator turns off, so I am now on the roundabout with no indicator! I have taken it to the local dealer, who at first said that this was 'normal' and they all do it. I asked to take another i30 for a drive to test this and they let me, and guess what, it did not do it!! surprise!! I got them to come in my car and they then acknowledged that there was an issue. It goes in tomorrow to have the indicator assembly replaced, with no promise that this will fix the problem. 

So.. does anyone else have the same problem?  and if so, was it addressed by the dealer and manufacturer.

Cheers  ... I will let you know how the replacement goes.  :neutral:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Wayne.. No probs like that with mine (I hope you get it sorted)  :razz:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
No probs here either Wayne... then again I don't indicate that much. I mean, what's it got to do with other road users where I'm going... :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline EpOcH

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Ive got a roundabout not far from my house (and this happens with my other car too) that it all depends on the angle you come up to the roundabout at, some days it seems to do it others isnt doesnt but its all about the angle you enter it to go left , if you turn the wheel too far left it turns off when you start to turn the wheel right.

Adding to this ive seen when my indicators cancel in the i30 that both indicator lights *flash* on the dash when it cancels but it only does it some times as though its coming off flashing one and has rebounded too far on the cancel that it flashes the other, something im going to keep an eye on too.

Initially i just thought it was the old car playing up but found when i had to watch for parked cars not far before the roundabout and entered a little wider and entered into the roundabout with a slighter left before the right it stays on :)

Offline tzwientjuh

• 5th Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium
I though it is normal that the indicator turns off when you turn your steeringwheel to the opposite direction of the indicator?

Offline EpOcH

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
It is , its doing its job, sort of.

Its just that the roundabout in question blocks the whole intersection, so you have to steer left to get onto it before you go right (the way you want to go) , its that left hand turn into it that cancels the right hand indicator (if that makes sence)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Adding to this ive seen when my indicators cancel in the i30 that both indicator lights *flash* on the dash when it cancels but it only does it some times as though its coming off flashing one and has rebounded too far on the cancel that it flashes the other, something im going to keep an eye on too.

This has recently been mentioned in another thread think Hemmi and tzwientjuh  were discussing it and Hemmi fixed his by putting a little piece of foam in to reduce the rebound....

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Indicators.

Where do I find them?  :lol:

No probs with mine
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I reckon he's got a UK car, indicate right to turn left and vice versa :lol: :lol:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline waynebee

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Dubbo
Hi again,
I did see the other thread Dazza, but I feel that problem is slightly different to the this. The foam stopped the rebound. In my case the indicator is turning off with the slightest of movement to the left.

I am a little worried that the dealer may feel that he is going to fix the problem with a 'bit' of foam, because he originally said that part would take three weeks to get here and then phoned the next day to say could I book the car in!!.

I will be asking how they intend on fixing it, when I drop the car off.  I strongly feel that there is a problem with the indicator unit.

We will see, and I will let you know of the result.

Cheers.

Offline waynebee

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Dubbo
Hi again...
Just back from a test drive... I am a little white.. and a bit shaky.. but I put the left indicator on and when around the roundabout the wrong way.. dodged the truck, missed the Rolls Royce and slipped passed the police car.. but, guess what, the indicator did not turn off... so I do feel the left turning component of the indicator system has a fault!! 

oh dear... the police car I mentioned... it has just turned up at my place, I wonder if they will let me still drop the i30 off for repair!!

I will keep you informed.. but my next posting could be a couple of days, sorry.

Cheers.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Mine actually does this too. It cancels prematurely usually at roundabouts, with a slight turn to the left (if I am turning right). I usually have just enough time to flick it back on, but it doesn't always happen. I understand your annoyance, especially if you were changing gears, indicating and turning all at once :P

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi again...
Just back from a test drive... I am a little white.. and a bit shaky.. but I put the left indicator on and when around the roundabout the wrong way.. dodged the truck, missed the Rolls Royce and slipped passed the police car.. but, guess what, the indicator did not turn off... so I do feel the left turning component of the indicator system has a fault!! 

oh dear... the police car I mentioned... it has just turned up at my place, I wonder if they will let me still drop the i30 off for repair!!

I will keep you informed.. but my next posting could be a couple of days, sorry.

Cheers.

Oh Shit ! hope you're not in too much trouble  :-[

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Not looking good..

They've thrown away the key  :eek:

Offline waynebee

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Dubbo
Back again...
Those coppers can run!!!

The car has been into the dealer and the indicator switch unit has been replaced... and it works like a charm.. like all great i30's should.

I am once again a happy i30 owner and my dealer is the best in the world!

Cheers,

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Back again...
Those coppers can run!!!

The car has been into the dealer and the indicator switch unit has been replaced... and it works like a charm.. like all great i30's should.

I am once again a happy i30 owner and my dealer is the best in the world!

Cheers,

another result
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal