i30 Owners Club

HID bulbs

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Thinking about changing out my headlights. I do a lot of driving on a very dark freeway. While lighting is pretty good, I would like a bit more. Wondering what HID you guys prefer? What is legal? And what is not going to blind others. :question:
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
AFAIK, ANY HID lights are illegal in OZ, if they are fitted after the vehicle is manufactured. HID fitted vehicles have leveling devices incorporated to stop the HID's causing night blindness to oncoming traffic.
There would be the usual insurance problems too in the event of an accident. HID's are about 4x brighter than halogen lamps because they are essentially an arc lamp (mini lightning).
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Yeah thats what I read about the law, or what I could gather, last night. So what bulbs are the best to get then with that kicked under the rug.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Right now, halogens are all that's available, so you go to a parts store and buy clear glass high intensity ones. The are quite a few available, problem is, higher output usually means shorter life, so it's always going to be a compromise. I think they use a higher gas pressure inside the bulb to achieve this. Naturally, stay within the car's stated bulb wattage.

Do NOT buy any bulb with coloured glass, it is proven that any glass colour increases the opacity of the glass, therefore reducing available light.

I forecast in about 12 months time, the first LED auto bulbs will be available, this will be exciting as they'll use about .1 of the current wattage and have a wide range of output colours, eg warm white, daylight and cool white. Problem at the moment is dealing effectively with the heat that is produced, although small, still enough to destroy the lamp without an effective heat sink. They are already fitted to exotic cars.

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Right now, halogens are all that's available, so you go to a parts store and buy clear glass high intensity ones. The are quite a few available, problem is, higher output usually means shorter life, so it's always going to be a compromise. I think they use a higher gas pressure inside the bulb to achieve this. Naturally, stay within the car's stated bulb wattage.

Do NOT buy any bulb with coloured glass, it is proven that any glass colour increases the opacity of the glass, therefore reducing available light.

I forecast in about 12 months time, the first LED auto bulbs will be available, this will be exciting as they'll use about .1 of the current wattage and have a wide range of output colours, eg warm white, daylight and cool white. Problem at the moment is dealing effectively with the heat that is produced, although small, still enough to destroy the lamp without an effective heat sink. They are already fitted to exotic cars.
:thanx:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Yeah thats what I read about the law, or what I could gather, last night. So what bulbs are the best to get then with that kicked under the rug.

I'm running these in my FD and I'm pretty happy with them.....Not cheap though....

Philips X Treme Vision H7 Upgrade Headlight Bulbs | eBay
Philips X Treme Vision H1 Upgrade Bulbs H1 | eBay

There are also Osram's Night Breaker Plus globes,which are quite similar in output but are a bit cheaper.....

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Forgot to mention, LED Spotlight bars are popular now, low current draw and high light output apparently. They come in various shapes and sizes, AFAIK, it is law in Oz to have separation between bars, is that correct, Rusty  :question:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
AFAIK, it is law in Oz to have separation between bars, is that correct, Rusty  :question:

I believe so, Phil....other than Queensland, who recently changed their regs to suit.
I'm not aware of any other State following their lead as yet.....  :undecided:

https://www.nhvr.gov.au/files/t048-qld-vehicle-standards-instruction-driving-lamps.pdf

ouri30
Back to the HID regs.  These regs apply to low beam.  The fitting of driving lights (and I take this to include high beam) does not require a levelling device.  Since driving lights, and even halogen high beams must be switched off when another vehicle is approaching, then HIDs can be fitted for this purpose to a vehicle.

That's my take on the situation.

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Thanks guys, I'm going to keep looking. Don't want to put the bar on. To keep the look. How did the lights go traveling from the uk to here rusty?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks guys, I'm going to keep looking. Don't want to put the bar on. To keep the look. How did the lights go traveling from the uk to here rusty?

They weren't working when he took them out of the box! But they lit up ok when he plugged them in!  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Lol! :lol:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
How did the lights go traveling from the uk to here rusty?

Not a problem, they always come well packaged and I usually have them within a week of ordering.....  :goodjob:

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
How did the lights go traveling from the uk to here rusty?

Not a problem, they always come well packaged and I usually have them within a week of ordering.....  :goodjob:
thanks! Might actually take a look at ordering them.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal