i30 Owners Club

Diagostics port (engine bay) not fastened to headlamp assembly.

Offline this guy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Hey Dazzler, could you do me another small favour? Could you please go have a look under the bonnet of your i30 and see where the diagnostics connector thing is attached to? Mine is just flopping around loosely not attached to anything but its own wires and I cannot find where it is supposed to go. Thanks!
  • GD Wagon CRDi 6M/T. Previously 1985 N12 Nissan Pulsar GX, 1963 Holden EJ Special

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline this guy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Yes yes the plug. But hmm, no there doesnt seem anywhere to put it. Here's one for you (or anyone else): is the headlight on the wagon and 3-door the same as the hatchback? Obviously the latter doesn't have the leveller...but otherwise? i.e. where is the diagnostics plug on the GD hatchback?
  • GD Wagon CRDi 6M/T. Previously 1985 N12 Nissan Pulsar GX, 1963 Holden EJ Special

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
They all use the same headlight, though some may use different internal lighting setups like xenon bulbs.

Offline this guy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Any chance of a picture of where the plug bracket is bolted/screwed on to? There's just nowehere..... :/

Offline this guy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Looks different...

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yours being a diesel so things seem to be placed differently.

Attaching images via Imgur :link: Imgur will give better pictures as they wont be scaled down.

Offline this guy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
My left headlight unit was replaced by the previous owner after an (allegedly) minor bingle, I dare say that the headlight unit is either for a hatchback or a petrol model (??) although I doubt that there would be different headlight units for petrol and diesel models, but likely different for the Euro-made and Korean-made models as the Euro models have a leveller which would alter the headlight to accommodate the electric motor etc. It might also explain why the leveller doesn't work!  :mad:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
You can see the bracket on the diagnostics socket, and the lack of a fastening point on the headlamp assembly.

I'd just tie it down to the nearest loom.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Mine is a Euro model as would your Tourer be so maybe the Korean light is what has been replaced :undecided: If your lights don't match from right to left then it looks like the wrong light has been replaced.
As Shamble's said, just tie it down.

Offline this guy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Interestingly enough, the left and right headlights do match...mirror image of each other. On the outside they're identical. It looks like the euro lights might be different left from right. Or I have two Korean lights. I have a part number from the invoice for the light that was replaced if anyone has the ability to cross check otherwise I could ask at a dealership, but I think it is looking highly likely that the dealer who supplied the part just supplied a hatchback version. Sigh.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi mb,

Sorry, I came to the party late. Our wagon is a petrol same as Craig's 3 door. Looks like you got your answer anyway. Thanks Craig and Steve!  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline this guy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
No worries Dazzler. Are your left and right headlapms mirror images or each other or is the LH one different with the diagnosis plug mounting point?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
No worries Dazzler. Are your left and right headlapms mirror images or each other or is the LH one different with the diagnosis plug mounting point?

They appear to be just identical mirror images with the black diagnostic plug thingy attached the same as in Craig's picture.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Is it a genuine light. If its been replaced was it with an aftermarket reprop
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline this guy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

They appear to be just identical mirror images with the black diagnostic plug thingy attached the same as in Craig's picture.  :undecided:

I had a look at a new Tourer at a dealership today, and both the headlights are different from mine. One thing I didn't think of is to check one of the hatchbacks to see if my headlights are like the hatch. So it looks like I have two headlights out of a different version of i30. I actually went in for some warranty work and one of the items was the non-functioning headlight leveller and they told me it isn't fitted to this vehicle. So I asked why is the rotary switch fitted to the dashboard then? They tell me its a dummy switch, a blank. Yeah right.  :rolleyes:

Offline this guy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Is it a genuine light. If its been replaced was it with an aftermarket reprop

As far as I'm aware it's genuine, has all the markings on it, I have the receipt from the dealer with part number etc. What is becoming more and more evident as time goes on is that this car was in a more serious crash than I was led to believe and only some of the repair receipts were made known making it look like only a smaller crash. The guy probably fixed the car half here half there or something, then only admitted to one half making it seem like a minor collision. Because if it really was only one headlight and fender that were replaced, the other headlight would still be the original one and different form the one that was allegedly replaced, but since they're both the same that would mean that both have been replaced with the incorrect type.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Maybe, can you contact the repairer and see what records they have?
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline this guy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Tried that, asked for photos but they claimed they don't have them on file, everything they told me about the repair was consistent with what the seller told me which makes me think it was a matesy thing and they agreed not to say too much. Otherwise the other part of the repairs was done elsewhere, and the minor bit was done at that particular workshop and they know nothing more.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal