i30 Owners Club

Airconditioning turbo boost?

Lorian · 8 · 3556

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I've read in a couple of threads (scanguage owners) that the turbo boost is hiked when the aircon is switched on, to overcome the power shortage caused.

This begs the question (I dont have a wiring diagram) maybe it's possible to send the signal to the ECU to say that the aircon is on, when actually it isn't?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
This begs the question (I dont have a wiring diagram) maybe it's possible to send the signal to the ECU to say that the aircon is on, when actually it isn't?

A tuningbox does exactly that, I believe, in one way or another
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline lozza

• 2nd Gear
don't think this is the case. when ever i bury the foot the ems shuts off the ac whilst allowing maximum power from the engine then cuts back in once you have eased back the throttle. turbos runs on exhaust flow and can only increase in flow as the rpms increase

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
don't think this is the case. when ever i bury the foot the ems shuts off the ac whilst allowing maximum power from the engine then cuts back in once you have eased back the throttle. turbos runs on exhaust flow and can only increase in flow as the rpms increase

Ah... not the ones with Variable Vanes !!!
They can shift the pitch to increase or decrease boost at any given RPM.

Offline lozza

• 2nd Gear
got me beat, do we have these in our vehicles??

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
got me beat, do we have these in our vehicles??

Here's what we got :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline lozza

• 2nd Gear
thanks, nice to know. Don't know much about these things but it looks from the pic in the link that this vtg is actuated by a vacuum unit. Is this the case? Do the I30's have this or and electronic version activated by sensors? Would this still work at high speed when there is enough exhaust gases? I would assume that as it designed to do compensate for lag at low rpm, it isn't meant to allow for the power drain of the AC hence like most large modern cars the AC unit is switched of through throttle position sensors to ensure all power is directed where and when it is needed most. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting the most out of my little rocket and I understand the the knowledge being shared, but I not sure this is the best thing to be tinkering with.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal