i30 Owners Club

Hyundai i30 1.6 petrol 115 hp

Offline Bosnia_i30

• 2nd Gear

• ba Bosnia and Herzegovina
      Sarajevo

• My ferrari :D
Hy people,

Does anyone of you know what is the difference between high power and lower power engines, because as far as I can see , they have all specification data same but the horse power is different. For example, I have Hyundai i30 , 1.6 petrol engine with 115 hp. I live in Bosnia and Herzegovina which is in South Europe, and I was checking the same engine in UK and Germany, and they have 124 or 126 hp. :S Is it possible for me to get those 10 hp on my car by maybe remap of ECU at my Hyundai dealer or something because I can really feel that I miss those 10 hp especially when I am going up a hill and similar situation on highway(over taking) .

Please if anyone knows anything about this can he share it with me and rest of users who has similar problem.

Second question is about 100 octane fuel(OMV gas stations has it own premium fuel). Is it possible to use it on Hyundai i30? I mean can his catalyst handle so high octane number. This fuel is known as Premium fuel, and from specification of car, the manufacturer suggest 95 or MORE octane fuel? Anyone have experience with this?

Thank you people, I have found answer to many of questions that I had.

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

• Halmstad, Sweden's Riviera
Hi Bosnia_i30 and welcome to the club!
I run my other car a BMW 320i and my Suzuki DL1000 bike on Shell V-power 99 octane without problem...
We only have V-power 99 octane in Sweden but many countries in South Europe has V-power Race 100-101 octane.

Cheers!

• I30 CW 2.0 CRDi

Offline Bosnia_i30

• 2nd Gear

Sarajevo

Thanks on reply. I understand but the catalyst in Hyundai i30 worry me because can it stand so high octane number, will I harm my engine with that. The high octane fuel gives car maybe 3% more strength and 4% better fuel consumption , engine works more smoother, there is no brimstone in this fuel. It should be better for engine, I think.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Pozdrav prijatelju,

So.. About the hp.. Countries decide to go with different hp because of tax and registration costs.. In Slovenia we have for instance Tucson that has 140 and 136 hp (136 hp = 100kW). Of course you decide to go for a 136hp one, because you pay (I think) 100 EUR/per year less.. Hyundais 1.4 engine in Slovenia has 80kW, 1.6 engine 126hp..

Could you check other specifications of the i30 1.6 115 hp (petrol).. Torque, 0-100, max speed.. Difference between LP and HP engines is usually only in ECU like you've said. Maybe you could have your ECU remmaped to 126 or maybe even 130 hp, but it's hard to find tuners that "chip" the petrol vehicles.. Though, I think German SKN could have the program for your car..

100 octane fuel in the end usually gives better performance to sports cars or cars with turbine and a lot of hp.. I don't think you will feel the difference on 1.6 engine. It can't do no harm, you can try it and you'll see if your engine "likes" it..

Here are the spec. of our i30.. http://www.hyundai.si/filelib/vozila-natisni/katalog_-_i30_-_tehnini_podatki_17082009.pdf

Offline Bosnia_i30

• 2nd Gear

Sarajevo

Hvala prijatelju na odgovoru. :)(Thanks on replay my friend)

As you sad it is hard to find someone who will chip petrol engine, that is true but there is some who actually can perform that kind of chip tuning even here. I looked the specification that you posted and there is a considerable difference in performance of the same engine. The specification is the same but those 10 hp get you faster for 1,2 second to 100km/h. Which is really something. I dont know how can they put same parameters in my ECU so I get same performance. I need to get that really bad. I dont know will I do the chip tuning, maybe if the Hyundai dealer can do the original one or some with which I wont lose my warranty. They told me that they can do that. :S I hope they can.

About the 100 octane fuel, I read on internet and people say that there really is difference. They say car feels stronger, and that the consumption is lower for 1l . Which is considerable. I just dont know can the catalyst of my car handle that kind of fuel? Also I do not know the parameters of the ECU in Hyundai i30 1.6 petrol from Slovenia so I can tell my dealer to set me the same one. I would be the happiest man on the world. The i30 is perfect car but my only problem is this one.

I am preparing my self for some real transformation from family car to sport car, I am preparing money for iMola Kit, and many other things, lights, interior and etc. :) Then I will post the pictures :)

I posted the specification from Bosnian dealer and you can see that there is difference.

[deleted]

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
You know what.. The easiest thing (way) to have your car "chipped" to Slovenian parameters would be to come to Slovenia? I think that if you tell them to upload the "stock" (126hp) software on your i30, you won't void the warranty, it will be much faster and easier and definitely much cheaper?

Maybe try calling closest Hyundai dealer in Slo and ask them if they could do that for you? Maybe I could ask them on Monday too..

Otherwise..your i30 reaches 0-100kmh 1,1 second slower than Slovenian ones.. Torque is almost the same (only 3 Nm difference). Top speed and fuel consumption are also the same.. That 1,1 second is quite tempting, but if you have a chance to have your car tuned to even more hp, I would go for it.

ECU remap is usually not discovered when servicing the car.. They usually change oil, filters, etc and don't check the software.. Some services even suggest getting your car tuned.. I think there's much less risk with petrol - non-turbo vehicle, because there isn't that much more load on car parts (engine, turbine, gearbox). When you look at diesel chip-tuned cars, there's usually about 20-30% increase of power and most of the job (+ hp) is done by turbine (compression) - which can be bad news for the longevity of that part..

Offline Bosnia_i30

• 2nd Gear

Sarajevo

I understand that but it is not easy to come to Slovenia to remap ECU, maybe it is easier for me to tell my dealer to call Slovenian one and ask the correct parameters for ECU reprogram. It is not a problem I think because it is probably just few numbers to change and that is it. As you can see all specifications are same only the strength is different, maybe my ECU is not programed on full capacity of engine maybe there is free space for adding more power for maybe 10-15 hp. That is possible in my opinion by simple rewriting few digits in ECU program. I will see with them in Monday and post what they sad to me.

But shore you could ask Slovenian dealer is it possible to get the parameters so they could be installed in Bosnia, I would be grateful.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal