Dazzler · 25 · 9817

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Folks,

Our newest member... AJW2005 (number 59!) has fitted a Pod Filter to his motor... how much difference does this make and has Thumper, echo or anyone else done the same? (I did a bit of quick research via Google and sounds like could be a cheap and worthwhile mod...)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline echocae

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
a pod filter without a dedicated enclose filter casing is illegal in most of state in Australia, ussualy pod filter working great if u did a major mods in engine eg. bigger turbo, forged piston, other than that a use of pod filter is useless and sumtimes decrease fuel economy

when u think about POD Filter think how human body work...

Think that your CAI as a MOUTH , with CAI u can take more AIR ( FOODS) , and then the AIR mix with fuel and ignite for energy (FOOD Combine with some acid stomach, and essential vitamin is taken) , then the excess get rid of in exhaust gas ( IN Human we go to toilet)

and now think if you installing a POD Filter (MAKE YOUR MOUTH BIGGER) for enabling getting more AIR (MORE FOOD).. and then THE MASSIVE AIR mix with FUEL, but the ratio is wrong .. so to maintain a STOCHIOMETRIC reaction in a car , FUEL PUMP pumps more FUEL, ( IN BODY MORE FOOD and then our stomach make more ACIDS).. after that.. NOT all the Energy (VITAMIN) will be absorb/produce.. and they need to be dump as a WASTE.. so they sent it to EXHAUST...(in HUMAN IF WE EATING ALOT.. we go to toilet often)

and also the i30's Stock AIR INTAKES already good too good/overkill for that kind of car

:)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for that Echo..

Would be interested to see what AJW has to say.. about his experiences so far  :P
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
I concur with echocae on several accounts.  :shock:

Fourthly, I believe the i30 diesel motor has some very tricky electronics attached to it, and if you change any flow characteristics in the induction system, my honest opinion would be that the ECU will take control of the situation and change fuel rates.

We want the engine to be as economical as possible. Shoving more air into an engine will require more fuel. Diesels, by design are lean burning engines. Also, by design (Being a compression ignition engine) they require heat to operate efficiently. It has been noted by several, including myself, that the i30 diesel uses more fuel when the induction air is cold. (Below 10 degrees C)

It does this due to the fact that compression ignition engines require heat to operate. If they start getting too cold, they inject more fuel before TDC to increase cylinder temperature. (NOTE: More fuel before TDC does not equate to more throttle) again, read up on the net about how CRD diesels work and their injector timing.  :D

If you want to put a pod filter on your vehicle, by all means, go ahead. I'll be interested what difference it makes.  :lol:

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
Hi, well before i installed the pod filter on the car (had nothing from the boys in blue yet) i sent an e-mail to k&n to ask them wether i can put a pod filter on my car and they sent me an e-mail back telling me what part number i needed, u can get a K&N filter that replaces the original filter that the hyundai i30 comes with dont know how much improvement that makes.
Well the reason i really went for a pod filter was cause i wanted a noise from the engine and all my previous cars before this has had a bit of a purr to it. i was told by some people that a pod filter will give you 10% more power and may improve you fuel economy. with the pod filter on ive had a lowest of 6.8 litres per hundred Km but this is for the petrol engine in the i30. i will take a couple of pics of my car and will put it in the other forum k.

ash

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
sorry bout two posts in a row but this is the look of my engine bay with the pod filter in place havnt had any notice from the boys in blue so yeah makes a growl when ur foot is half of the gas.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hay m8, the Pod Filter is ok, but if you had it out the front more so it could get cold air also with more area from the Throtle Body to the Pod would be better, I'm deaf m8 but i understand whats going on inside motors.
if you hear a lot of suck at your filter, that is bad news as it means the vacume is starting outside the filter and your motor is trying to suck more air in. you want the vacume to start inside the filter. hard call on weather the K&N would work better than stock as same size if it fits into stock houseing, but if it has not got too much oil in the eliment it would probably flow more air, i think the stock air intake looks like it would work better than your POD as it takes cold air from outside to the filter then into the motor, looks like one of the better set up's for a stock system, i have not looked at the exhast system on the 2.0lt petrol so could not say, but a good mod would be extractors if stock system does not look that good.

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
hi
cheers yeah i was thinking of putting a pipe from the front of the car straight to the middle of the pod but that means removing the otha have of the filter but im unsure what the silver thing on the side is, if im sure that would be a senser wouldnt it?

ash

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Ash, opps, sorry, did not read that you have a petrol i30.  8-)

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
hey

yeah its kewl, im just trying to find out what other modification i can do to it. any ideas would be appreciated.

cheers
ash

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Well, plenty, exhaust, HiD on low beam, tint, sub (If you are that way inclined) body kit. Portable Hard Drive for the stereo. (Very easy and worthwhile mod) LED's inside / outside.

Plenty of things to do. Have a read.  8-)

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
hey,
i have tint on my car, i wouldnt mind subs but u said that ur going to take yours out, y's that? and can u get an exhaust for the i30 yet?

im intending to upgrade speakers as soon as i get some money together.

cheers
ash

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
The i30 stereo is a built in item, thus it does not have any pre outs. (Line level output) it only has speaker outputs.

A speaker to line level converter does not do justice for a good sub setup. (It's ok if you just want 'boom')

This is why I am taking mine back out, the quality of the source signal is not good enough, for me.  :cry:

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
hi,
would u recommend then trying to get an aftermarket deck? and was it hard to install and wat did u have to do to put it in?

cheers
ash

Offline Waja

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW, Australia

• Hyundai i30 CRDi '07 100,000km
bump? seems like no-one had answered this thread and i am interested as well to see what people have to say about an aftermarket deck..if you were considering changing yours ash, what would you be thinking about replacing the current headunit with?

Offline tiny

• 3rd Gear

• ro Romania
      Bucharest

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
hi, i havent put a aftermarket deck in but ive put 2 amps and a sub in it. if u take the deck apart its the brown block that is all the speakers. i was looking at a pioneer double din deck but they are worth about 1000 bux. but its up to u wat u want.

hope this helps a lil
ash

Offline Waja

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW, Australia

• Hyundai i30 CRDi '07 100,000km
2 amps? im guessing you have changed some of the stock speakers as well?

yeah, i know that we need to get the double din ones but i have no idea about changing the headunit...in the i30 would it require some cutting of the faceplate or something to be able to fit the double din systems in? i was considering the pioneer ones as well, but i really liked the steering wheel controls on the car now and im not sure if they will work with the pioner...but i ran into this system http://www.ryda.com.au/Polaris-Hyundai-Integrated-GPS-DVD-System-p/pid317.htm but it says that it is for the santa fe =(

hopefully someone with some experience, which it sounds like you have ash, could lead me somewhere.

but yeah...1 grand for a unit is quite a bit push...and i have no idea how many times i would use the navigator system...apart from the fact of cracked tomtom on pdas...lol...

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
hey,
i havent changed the speakers yet but the speakers im looking at getting are about 300 per pair so im saving my money till i can get them, im gonna need them soon though.

and yes you would need to cut the dash out a little bit but thats the easy step the hard step is wiring it all up and ive been told that the steering wheel controls would go once you replace the head unit hence im thinking of leaving mine in there. my mates dad had a commodore which had steering wheel controls replaced it with a new deck and the steering wheel controls went so im guessing that'll be the same for that.

if you want to keep the steering wheel controls then i'd suggest you leave in the stock head unit.

hope this helps a lil
ash

Offline G14Classified101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gosford
Hay m8, the Pod Filter is ok, but if you had it out the front more so it could get cold air also with more area from the Throtle Body to the Pod would be better, I'm deaf m8 but i understand whats going on inside motors.
if you hear a lot of suck at your filter, that is bad news as it means the vacume is starting outside the filter and your motor is trying to suck more air in. you want the vacume to start inside the filter. hard call on weather the K&N would work better than stock as same size if it fits into stock houseing, but if it has not got too much oil in the eliment it would probably flow more air, i think the stock air intake looks like it would work better than your POD as it takes cold air from outside to the filter then into the motor, looks like one of the better set up's for a stock system, i have not looked at the exhast system on the 2.0lt petrol so could not say, but a good mod would be extractors if stock system does not look that good.

Hey mate ive been reading lots about the beta II engines (2.0L hyundai engines G4GC) coz i want to turbo mine and i believe that the beta II engine responds better to short ram intake than Cold air induction, so having the pod filter where it is, is acting as a short ram intake thus making slightly more power than CAI.

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
hey mate,  i was planning on turboing mine but ive thought against it, but im still on my P's and im onli 19 (got mi license late, and dad thinks im power hungry). but yeah ive done a couple more mods involving the pod filter but i mite be getting rid of the i30 cause i want something more me, im looking at an bf xr6 but yeah who knows i might stay with the i30 as its such a kewl little car to drive but i wouldnt mind a turbo diesel one.

cheers
ash

Offline G14Classified101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gosford
AWJ im only 21 still on my P's. Got mine even later, oh n i lost my licence for 6 months. Its funny that you say your power hungry, my dad says the same. I was gonna wipe my ass with my 5 year unlimited kilometre warranty and slap on a 8.5:1 compression gasket, upgrade the MAP sensor to a 2.5 BAR, either get some guys in sydney to do a custom exhaust manifold or get one from korea, garret T28R turbo, will full stainless turbo back exhaust, nice front mount intercooler run about 14.5 psi boost and have approx 170kw at the wheels and maybe get a bigger throttle body. But hey thats about $8,000 and i can get my uncles MY05 WRX for 10K next year so im just gonna get a second car, coz the i30 is a shit hot looking car, great on fuel, and the WRX for cruising.

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
hi g14 u mustve read my mind or something haha.

ive been thinking of doing a full 2.5 inch exhaust system with headers but think that will all be custom, or go and put a 3.5 litre v6 in the engine bay outa a bitsaremissing magna. the only sad thing about this is that im from the western coast of aussie and yeah i'll have to head 3 hours north to get any of this kinda work down to mi car, i'll be happy if mi car makes 140kw atf but if it gets more i'll be happy.

cheers
ash

Offline G14Classified101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gosford
AWJ 140kw on the ground is gonna be hard without modding internals or forced induction. i think with full exhaust, cai, or short ram, upgraded engine mounts and a tuned unichip, max 130 thats 22kw more than stock. If you want more power than that your definately going to void warranty. Forged pistons, higher comp for NA or lower comp for forced induction, bigger throttle body, larger injectors, better more efficient fuel system (fuel pump upgrade and pressure regulator).

I just got a job so ill be buying things shortly and will be getting the i30 the way the SR model should have been. A sporty performance model that steps above the CRD's (no offence guys). But im a straight to the point petrol head.

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
hey g14, yeah i know, i have the slx but i think thats its already better then the i30 sr, 2 amps subs rims cannon muffler thats all good for me though i needa save money but i cant find any mods on the net for the i30 atm, bugger though. anyway as ur going to be going that way if ya can give me a rough price? cause i think that mite help me get mi car up there with everyone over there... (theres alot of rev heads ova hear)

cheers
ash

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal