i30 Owners Club

Hazard relay

Hemmi · 25 · 7922

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain
OK, the thing is I need to know where the hazard relay is located in the i30, its not in the fusebox, I managed to get a picture from my friends dad that works at the dealership.

I actually not understand this picture, anyone who sees a relay there  :)

Offline TheBunyip

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Hi Hemmi,

Until someone else with access to an i30 can post I can only guess.

The tubular section in the drawing has a bracket attached which might be in about the right place to support the Steering shaft of a Right Hand Drive.car. That makes me wonder if this is a framework mounted behind the dashboard with a vertical extension down behind the central console section..

The part number quoted beneath the drawing in GREEN has some similarities to the part number for the rectangular little box shape which is attached to the central vertical extension by a right angle bracket. The little box is also labeled in GREEN.  That shape could be a relay.

That little box with the part number label 95210J might be what you are looking for.

If it is I have no idea how you might gain access to it behind the central console.

ouri30
Hemmi,

I think you need to be looking for something the same size and shape to the relay you have been sent.  

Someone else suggested that it may make a clicking sound when the indicators are flashing, however the click in ouri30 is rather quiet.  (Lucky your not Lakes or you would never hear it.)  

Maybe you could get a stethoscope and listen through it - that might make it easier to locate.

Bob

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
If it can wait, I will locate the relay for you.

The replacement relay you have been supplied with will have additional ballast resistors that add an artifical load to the indicator circuit, to counter the effect of not having filaments in the line.

I am surprised the existing relay is not under the bonnet.

I just wish I had an i30  :cry:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
post deleted, as it was misleading and wrong.

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

I dont have this relay box, it's diesel only, I have the other 2,

now the only thing to do is crawl under the dash and listen  :|

the sound of the relay is somewhere behind or under the driver side dash.

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

Ohmygod I found it!

Its either remove the dash or get a dwarf to crawl up there  :cry:

I'll try take some pictures.

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
It'll be there because of the noise it tries to make (and fails!) - I'm always leaving my hazards on because I can't hear the ticking and my steering wheel is at exactly the right height to obscure the flashing arrows!

There must be a way to get to it Hemmi - we've seen Korean car pics where they've fitted the LED's. How about posting a question in English on a Korean i30 forum - - and see if they answer (maybe put a link to this topic and ask them to reply here).

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

Quote from: "i30manUK"
It'll be there because of the noise it tries to make (and fails!) - I'm always leaving my hazards on because I can't hear the ticking and my steering wheel is at exactly the right height to obscure the flashing arrows!

There must be a way to get to it Hemmi - we've seen Korean car pics where they've fitted the LED's. How about posting a question in English on a Korean i30 forum - - and see if they answer (maybe put a link to this topic and ask them to reply here).

have you checkt your car, its above the clutch pedal, if you leave the hazard on and listen youll see it, you can also feel it.

in my opinion they could have turned the socket for the relay 180°so it will point down, for easier replacement.
I cant get a good grip on the relay, to take it out of its socket, there are 2 clamps on each side, so ill have to unclamp those two aaaaand pull the relay up, not easy.

I pretty sure all korean forums are locked, koreans only.

I dont know what to do  :|

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: "Hemmi"
I pretty sure all korean forums are locked, koreans only.

I dont know what to do  :|
Yup. Right on - they all seem to require a national insurance number, or other national ID number to join. HOWEVER, Im sure the dazzler has fomented an inroad to that Asian community. Let's see what he can come up with.. Dazz.....?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'll try and remember to have a look tonight....

You'll get a break from me next week for a few days I'm going away....
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

I somehow managed to remove the relay, and fit the new one  :D

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=497&p=5973#p5973

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Congratulations!!!  8-)  8-)

Please say exactly where it was, what it looked like and how you did it, just in case I do this too. I had a look under there earlier today and I could hear it but couldn't work out which one it was. It seemed to me it might be an idea to remove the 2 screws that hold the trim under the steering wheel and try to remove that first - for easier access.

Any chance of a pic or two?

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

Ok here are a few photos, hope they explain everything.
I had a hard time getting a good grip of the two clamps on the relay. you might need a small wedge or some tool to help you.
I believe this should be easier on an automatic car, where there's no clutch in the way.

If you live in UK or AUS, place mirror on the left side of your screen  :P

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thanks for the pix hemmi, it's all good reference info  :)

I'll be having a look tomorrow.

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

When I hit the brakes I get this picture on my little screen, it indicates that there is something wrong with the tail lights, but of course there's nothing wrong, only the car computer doesn't know the original bulbs have been replaced by LED's, maybe this neat function can be turned off at the dealer.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hey Hemmi, once again, the lack of filament resistance is manifesting itself as a blown bulb, just like your indicators flashing faster before you replaced the indicator relay.

You need to add resistance to the brake circuit; otherwise it will report a blown bulb, when you don't actually have a blown bulb

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

Quote from: "Shambles"
Hey Hemmi, once again, the lack of filament resistance is manifesting itself as a blown bulb, just like your indicators flashing faster before you replaced the indicator relay.

You need to add resistance to the brake circuit; otherwise it will report a blown bulb, when you don't actually have a blown bulb

OK, thanks, I'm not sure I'll do it, but it's good to know  ;)

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
When I hit the brakes I get this picture on my little screen, it indicates that there is something wrong with the tail lights, but of course there's nothing wrong, only the car computer doesn't know the original bulbs have been replaced by LED's, maybe this neat function can be turned off at the dealer.

Thanks for the excellent pics/diagram Hemmi - as far as the warning light is concerned, you could try the following...

1. Never use the brakes.

2. Stick a small piece of  blue tape just under the image of the car.  :mrgreen:

Let us know if dealers CAN disable the 'blown light bulb warning' easily on its own, or if it would disable other things too.

Offline edmlee

• 1st Gear

• sg Singapore
      Singapore
Hi Hemmi,

I was surfing one of the korean links provided in this wonderful website & was thinking of ordering the LED cluster for the rear & front lights. Is that where u ordered yours?

So its not a simple case of plug n play?

I'm sorry if the question sounds dumb but i reli am not a DIY guy at all.

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

Hi edmlee,

I ordered my lights from http://www.koreanautoimports.com/
It's probably cheaper to order from the Koren sites but I don't understand Korean and I'm not sure they ship to Europe.

It's just plug and play, I'll create a topic for tail lights removal, the only hard thing is to remove the hazard relay, at least I found it difficult  ;)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi Hermann. I noticed you'd posted some intermediate pics on your Flickr account. Nice.

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

Quote from: "Shambles"
Hi Hermann. I noticed you'd posted some intermediate pics on your Flickr account. Nice.

Yes they're there I only forgot to take one picture showing the rubber thingy that seals the hole in the body where the connector is.

Offline spheng

• 2nd Gear

• sg Singapore
      Singapore
Hi Hemmi,

Really nice pics you've posted. Good info & guide for DIY members here.
Well done !!  :lol:

Offline edmlee

• 1st Gear

• sg Singapore
      Singapore
Hi edmlee,

I ordered my lights from http://www.koreanautoimports.com/
It's probably cheaper to order from the Koren sites but I don't understand Korean and I'm not sure they ship to Europe.

It's just plug and play, I'll create a topic for tail lights removal, the only hard thing is to remove the hazard relay, at least I found it difficult  ;)

Thks vm Hemmi. I'm going to get a Korean friend to help me do the ordering. I'll see how it goes.  :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal