4 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: January 09, 2009, 08:23:45

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Hey guys

Note: Just looking for expressions of interest before investing in any time and effort.

Whilst I haven't got my car yet I was just wondering if anyone would be interested in a meet in either the Newcastle/Hunter Region or Blue Mountains?

I'd prefer to avoid the greater Sydney region, to many hassles and nowhere good to drive.........

Blue Mountains on the other hand......... Great Western Highway or Bells Line of Road.........or both!

I'm still learning where everything is in the Hunter region (moved up here a few months ago, grew up in lower BLue Mountains)

Regards

Offline encountar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Come on guys! Surely there are more people out there who would like to spend a day out in the lovely Blue Mountains, so many places to use all that torque!

Please respond if you have even the slightest interest, at this point this is more a survey of if you would like to go. I'd like to get at least 5 preferably 10ish to commit, before I consider organising it, I don't want to waste my time just for 3......

It might be over the top but by organising I mean coming up with a route, places to stop and take happy snaps, place to stop and have a nice lunch etc etc. Make the most of the day. Be it to get away from the significant other, or both coming to get away from everything else and have a nice drive.

If you wanna go really over the top maybe a prize for the most efficient driving of the day (if there's petrol and diesel 2 awards) etc etc

Regards

Daniel

Offline encountar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith
Can we have a prize for the quickest driving too? :) those tight bends are fun! im all for a meet, i know a hell of alot of nice places to stop and take pics etc as i go for motorbike rides up there all the time

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Quote from: "encountar"
Can we have a prize for the quickest driving too? :lol:  :lol:

Don't tell me I have to do a risk assessment and statutory declarations that drivers particpate at their own risk etc etc before this meet?!?!?!?!

Offline encountar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith
Looks like i wont win... no esp or tcs on my little rocket. more fun that way :D

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

I think I'd be interested - in Blue Mountains would be best, Newcastle is a bit on the far-away side. I wouldn't be able to join you until after Christmas though - lets say early next year - because until then I probably won't have my car :(

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Yea the main reason why I have Blue Mountains and Newcastle is that I live near Newcastle currently (been here for about 4 months, still learning the area) but grew up in the Blue Mountains (and my folks still live there)

As for when, I might have to do another poll, I know some would like to do it before Xmas/ASAP but I don't want people who are expecting cars soon to miss out.

Having just got my car and done 750km so far my car will definitely be ready!.

Regards

Daniel

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Just going to revisit this thread to keep it up the top.

It looks like by a 5-2 count this meet should work out landing in the Blue Mountains...
Are there any other takers?

Now the question is when? Do you want to make a new thread with possible weekends between now and January, Whit?
Personally I think that it would be best a week or 2 after the Christmas fever has passed... but then I'm biased, because I haven't got my car yet :P

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Actually, Whitbomb, you could 'modify' your first post in this thread, updating the poll to 'when do you want to meet', and rename the thread something like "Sydney-sider's Blue Mountains Retreat/Meet/with Meat"

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
If you wanna go really over the top maybe a prize for the most efficient driving of the day (if there's petrol and diesel 2 awards) etc etc

Can we have a prize for the quickest driving too? those tight bends are fun!

One or the other, I can't do both at the same time!  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think all of us Canberra people are up for a Blue Mountains meet. Just up the road for us. No problems.  8)

Offline encountar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith
I'm thinking bells line of road on the way up, i know of a few nice places to stop. How far are people willing to travel though? lithgow? bathurst? it all depends where we want to go I can pick out spots to stop at on the way. After all, I do ride my motorbike on that road quite often, some awesome pubs about.

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
I'm thinking bells line of road on the way up, i know of a few nice places to stop. How far are people willing to travel though? lithgow? bathurst? it all depends where we want to go I can pick out spots to stop at on the way. After all, I do ride my motorbike on that road quite often, some awesome pubs about.

Yea except for when you are on P plates and have a zero BAC restriction..............

I will update this poll now. I'll have until Xmas a poll asking how much driving on the actual trip people would like to do (NOT including peoples driving to and from the meet) that way we can figure out a route to take that keeps everyone happy.

Once we've got that squared away we'll look into when in the new year we can do it. I know for me it will be the 1st or 2nd weekend of Jan.

Regards

Daniel

Offline encountar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith
Hey guys. Just looking at google maps and this is somethign like i was thinking. the pub is the stop at "B" starting destination is "C" then move to "A" to start the trip and return to "C"

Its 135 km – about 2 hours 26 mins round trip, we can schedule it so we end up at the pub right on time for lunch. There are usually alot of bikes there tho so will have to find somewhere nearby for pics at the lunch spot. Theres plenty of places to stop for pics with the mountains or sydney skyline behind us, and there are a couple of pubs but we only need to stop at 1... or 2... maybe 3? :)

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Yeah, that looks good to me.
BTW - I tried adding a detour to Lithgow, only added another 35mins of driving, to 166km. So I tried adding a further detour to Bathurst - and that made 4hrs 40min and 287km. I couldn't understand why it usually felt so much longer to get to Bathurst the last few times I've been - and then realised that I've got a 45min-1hour long trip to get to Penrith in the first place. A lot of people might even have longer trips to make.

Maybe a 150km trip is long enough when you consider the distance some of us are travelling to get there in the first place... especially if young'ns are in the car (eg my 4mth old - there's only so much sleeping he can do! let alone ET's boys...). Just a thought.

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Yeah, that looks good to me.
BTW - I tried adding a detour to Lithgow, only added another 35mins of driving, to 166km. So I tried adding a further detour to Bathurst - and that made 4hrs 40min and 287km. I couldn't understand why it usually felt so much longer to get to Bathurst the last few times I've been - and then realised that I've got a 45min-1hour long trip to get to Penrith in the first place. A lot of people might even have longer trips to make.

Maybe a 150km trip is long enough when you consider the distance some of us are travelling to get there in the first place... especially if young'ns are in the car (eg my 4mth old - there's only so much sleeping he can do! let alone ET's boys...). Just a thought.

Hey all.

I was speaking with Petey on messenger last night about this and we've both come to the conclusion that we want to make sure the drive isn't to taxing (esp for those coming from canberra ish) due to said reasons.

At this point (nothing definite) I'm thinking about a trip that starts at Penrith, somewhere just off the M4 (maybe Panthers) go from there to Richmond, then head up Bells line of road, Lunch in Lithgow and possibly if there are enough interested a steam train ride at the Zig Zag railway (2hr return trip) then down the Great Western Highway back to Penrith.

I figure Penrith is a good starting point for all as most people will utilise the M4 somehow to get to the region.

This is all heresay atm, pending what the poll says.

My apologies to all but I can't change the poll setting that dictates the number of votes you can make. So I've reset it and ask that everyone only uses 1 vote PLEASE!

Regards

Daniel

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

My apologies to all but I can't change the poll setting that dictates the number of votes you can make. So I've reset it and ask that everyone only uses 1 vote PLEASE!

Regards

Daniel

Sorted
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Ok I'll give this a try.

Ok start point of Panthers Penrith, then drive to RAAF base Richmond and have a cuppa, travel up Bells line of road (possibly stopping at Clarence where the Zig Zag railway starts) the having lunch in Lithgow, then depart back down Great Western Highway back to Panthers Penrith. All up 196km, which at this point (just) satisfies everyones vote (3 where for <200km).

Zig Zag railway can easily be scrubbed. We can take the train ride, or just see it arrive and depart. (11am, 1pm and 3pm I think) which should entertain the kiddies. Biggest problem is the carpark (right next to the road which is bitumen) is dirt and rather rough, lots of potholes etc, I'm not sure if everyone will be happy with going there..............

As for locations to stop in Lithgow I think Petey might be better with that, otherwise I'll scout it out next time I'm down there (sometime late this month).

If it doesn't work I'll fix it up.

Regards

Daniel

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Sounds GOOD! :biggrin:
Hoping I will be able to drive up from Canberra to attend. Do we know approximately when the drive might occur?

Offline camerooney

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      South Coast NSW

• NSW Australia
Will you stay overnight somewhere Eyma?
Its a pretty big drive!

3.5hrs from Canberra to Mulgoa Road
2.5hrs from Nowra to Mulgoa

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Its a pretty big drive!

2.5 hours from ACT to Panthers Penrith sitting on the speed limit all the way. (Did that several weeks ago, and regularly drive up to Katoomba.)

Besides, the Canberra crew will be in convoy, no problems! (Just follow my LED tail lights all the way home, with me leading the way with the bright lights!)  :lol:

Offline camerooney

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      South Coast NSW

• NSW Australia
Its a pretty big drive!

2.5 hours from ACT to Panthers Penrith sitting on the speed limit all the way. (Did that several weeks ago, and regularly drive up to Katoomba.)

Besides, the Canberra crew will be in convoy, no problems! (Just follow my LED tail lights all the way home, with me leading the way with the bright lights!)  :lol:

Cool
:)

Hehe I'll probably meet you on the Hume somewhere for the trip up (if I can make it).
:lol:

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
I would probable not stay overnight, It would be a long but pleasurable day trip. I will follow thumper, shouldn't have any trouble keeping up if he is doing one of his economy runs :lol:

Offline camerooney

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      South Coast NSW

• NSW Australia
:lol: :lol:

Cool.
Well lets see how we go for numbers and a date, and hopefully I'll be able to get some time off work.

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
I think I'll start having a new poll every week with regards to the trip.

This poll will close at the end of the week (sometime on the weekend) Please ensure you vote before then.

However unless we have a serious change in the poll I think my proposed route will be the one we try. But anyone else please feel free to put forward recommendations.

I'd be hoping the 1st or second weekend of Jan will be suitable for all. (this will probably be the next poll, a range of weekends over the next month or so)

I'd really like to get as many people on this trip as possible.

Regards

Daniel

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Oh please don't  :biggrin:

Quote from: whitbomberman
This poll will close at the end of the week (sometime on the weekend) Please ensure you vote before then.
Its expiry date is just before New Year  :eek: :eek: :eek:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia

Oh please don't  :biggrin:

Quote from: whitbomberman
Its expiry date is just before New Year  :eek: :eek: :eek:

Don't worry shambles I won't be starting new threads, I'll just reset the current 1.

Cheers

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal