Don't care
4 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: January 09, 2009, 08:23:45

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Guys im up for a cruise. Am i going to be the only petrol driver? Coz dont leave me behind with an empty tank. hehehe. January 10/11 sounds fine.
Nope. I should have my uneconomical (well, by i30 standards) Petrol SLX Auto by the 11th - so I'll give you a run for your money on the 'most petrol used' stakes :P

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Hi all

Just changed the poll to the Zig Zag trip.

The vote is in and with 4 out of 7 votes the 11th Jan has won (Eyma had put later in the year but then changed to 11th Jan giving the 4th vote). 2 others said they didn't mind what date and the only other date, with 1 vote was the 10th......... I'm sorry to whoever put the 10th, I hope you can still make it on the 11th.

Latest poll gives the choices of what time and trip type people would like. At this point the shortest trip type will probably be the winner, i.e. if 2 say full trip and 2 say half trip the half trip will be the choice.

If I haven't supplied enough information about Zig Zag please let me know or visit www.zigzagrailway.com.au/

(Time for more harping on) PLEASE VOTE!!!! This is a rather important poll and has consequences on the actual trip. Anyone interested in the slightest should vote in the poll. Please do not just reply with a post as this can be lost in amongst all the others.

Regards

Daniel

Offline G14Classified101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gosford
It was me who voted 10th. But yeah the 11th is fine also.

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Like Rubix on the half or full trip. Shorter might be better as its going to be a long day for some.

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Like Rubix on the half or full trip. Shorter might be better as its going to be a long day for some.
I was more concerned about my lunch :P
But yeah. My vote hit the full trip, but I can see the merit in the half one.

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Hey guys

Just keeping this up the top and visible.

Plus we have 6 votes so far, I know there are still a few people out there who haven't voted. Please do so!

Also if people feel they are definitely commited to this trip on the 11th Jan and don't mind which train we take I will start taking numbers via my PRIVATE MESSAGES (previously I said my email but I think PM will be better). If you would like to wait for the end result of this poll that's fine. So far the 1pm half trip will be the way to go.

The poll will end on Friday 19th after that I will need numbers by Christmas (I know it only gives 6 days after this poll but I have to get figures to Zig Zag Railway) so as to ensure ZZR are prepared for us.

Regards

Daniel

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Looks like everyone's interested in going on the ZZ as well.

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Just a reminder Boys and Girls

Voting for this poll will cease at Midday EDST Friday.

At this point the 1pm half trip is looking to be the ride of choice (a bit unfortunate but I can understand the reasoning)

I require numbers from all members by Xmas as ZZR requires 2-3 weeks prior notice. To get the discounted fares we do require a minimum of 20 people. If we do not meet this 20 we will be paying full fares.

Please contact me via PM (with Subject heading: ZZR) with the numbers you will be bringing ie 1 adult 1 child 1 infant, 2 adults etc etc

Keep the voting and posts going boys and girls!!! Any questions/recommendations please do not hesitate.

In some other news it may be possible to have a BBQ at ZZR (this is something I will be looking into before Xmas, but not sure of exact date as yet that I will know)

I currently have no other ideas for polls after this one. If there's anything you think has been missed that should be asked of the group please mention it!

Regards

Daniel

bez10y
Unfortunately our summer holiday plans have gone a bit awry so not sure what we are doing.

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Unfortunately our summer holiday plans have gone a bit awry so not sure what we are doing.

Sorry to hear that. I hope you can still manage to make it......  :'(

Final Reminder that the poll closes tomorrow at 1200 EDST. Currently the 1pm Half trip is the clear winner. If you haven't voted yet, PLEASE DO SO!!!

Here's a few shots I took a while ago when passing through (didn't get to go for a ride  :'( :'( :'( )

Regards

Daniel

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Hi all

Voting has now ceased for the ZZR poll.

Clear winner is the 1pm half trip with 4 votes (next closest was 1pm full trip with 2)

I hope everyone can fit this in.

I just checked the ZZR website (and I will personally go up there hopefully in the next week to confirm) there are BBQ facilities at ZZR along with a Kiosk.

Now we have to figure out timings. If we do have the BBQ at ZZR I'd want to be there by 1130 to set up, start it, cook, feed, pack up.

It's about 1hr 30 mins from Penrith to ZZR via GWH withought actually going into Lithgow. If we go via Lithgow it's around 1hr 45. If we go via Richmond and Bells Line of Road its just under 2 hrs.

I think I'll do a dry run of it all and see how it goes.

Next poll is what time would we like to meet at Penrith? This is where the boys down south get priority.

So far for stops I was thinking the cafe outside Richmond RAAF base for a cuppa, and The Ori in Springwood (off GWH) for a drink (for those that can)

My brains fried at the moment, I've been thinking about this way to much today. If anyone else has stuff to add or would like to give me another reason to try and pull my short hair out ( :lol: :lol: :lol:) please do.

Regards

Daniel

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Also guys

I need numbers from all of you by XMAS!!!!!!!!!!

If I don't get the figures to ZZR by then we may not be able to get the discount......

Also if we don't get more than 20 people it also means no discount........

Please PM me, subject heading ZZR with the details of who will be coming i.e. 1 Adult 2 children, 2 Adults, 1 Adult 1 Infant etc etc

Please be quick!!!! I cannot stress this enough!

Regards

Daniel

Offline donc

• 3rd Gear
Just caught this thread... yep, count us in! - Still on for the 11th Jan? - Also if need any help with a BBQ let me know.

PS - We would be coming in from the west of the ranges... anyone else coming in from this way?

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Donc

I don't think anyone is coming in from the West, if you would like to just meet us at ZZR that's fine.

Regards

Daniel

Offline donc

• 3rd Gear
Cool - how many takers do we have? - and I guess the only other question from me... do I bring beer, or a good red or two?

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Cool - how many takers do we have? - and I guess the only other question from me... do I bring beer, or a good red or two?

:lol: :lol:I will be diving so for me it will be lemonade :'(

Offline encountar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith
nothing wrong with a beer or two, but no more :)

I'm thinking a bbq sounds pretty good... if we can get this done at ZZW than that would make everything kinda work well.

afterwards, we could drive into lithgow and go to the arms factory and then come back or... something along those lines anyways

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

:lol: :lol:I will be diving so for me it will be lemonade :'(

I didn't know you were a diver Eyma? (a man of many talents)  :lol:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Hi all it's me the annoying one again.

Went up to ZZR today. They do have BBQ facilities available, $10 'donation' for the gas bottle. I'm happy to cop that charge (seeing as you've all had to put up with me and my poll's :lol: :lol:)

But I have an idea to put forward to the group, I'm not sure if everyone is aware of the fact but for the half trip, one way is done by steam, the other by diesel railmotor (I did know this). But today I found out that if you take the diesel railmotor on the outbound leg they stop at 'No 1 viaduct' as well as the changeover point. At No 1 Viaduct you can view the steam train climbing up the main grade (where it's working it's hardest, but also not part of the half trip we take) before meeting it at the change point where we swap onto steam and go back to the start (finish) of the ride. In my opinion this would be a better ride than steam out to meet point and diesel for the return. Should also provide better photo opportunities for those interested.

The dilemma is obviously the railmotors depart the start point at a different time, I don't want to have to do a re-vote, so what I'd like to do (if no one has any objections) is base which rail motor to take by what time we pick to leave Penrith at (our current poll which only has 2 votes so far  :evil:). This will also decide whether we have lunch before the train ride.

Here are the two times which would be our options:

1140am dep with a end time of 1220-30pmish. Meaning have Lunch after the trip or
140pm dep with a end time of 220-30pmish. Meaning we have Lunch before the ride.

If you would still prefer the trip to start with steam speak now or forever hold you peace. As from my perspective this actually fits in alot better.

In other news I've only had 2 people contact me with figures so far, BUT ZZR has now told me that if I can get figures to them by start of next year (giving us an extra week) that's acceptable.

But please do not hold off if you are certain about the trip as the sooner I know the better I sleep at night (I really don't want an influx of PM's right before I leave to bring in 09  :twisted:).

Also I'll get some more shots up soon, that I took today.

In terms of the drive I think we might have to look at alternative arrangements for the route, either we definitely go up the GWH and down Bells, or we go Bells both ways, the roadworks that have been going for stupid point ridiculous years on GWH don't look like they'll be finished by Jan 11. Speaking from past experience we DO NOT want go down GWH Sunday arvo with all that still happening.

If we still go up GWH and if time is permitting I'd be happy to stop off at The Ori in Springwood (just off the GWH) for those who can and would like to wet their whistle with A drink.

Also a cuppa at the Cafe outside Richmond RAAF base (which also has a park for the ankle biters) depending on timings and which way we go from Panthers.

In terms of meet point I'm thinking the Information centre to the North well away from the fast food joints and majority of parking for Panthers (if you do have the nibblies you can still go and grab something before coming over to the info centre, for those who haven't seen Panthers before there's a Macca's, KFC, and Krispy Kreme Doughnuts)

Ok I think it's time I take a breath have a lie down (maybe even a stiff drink) and let all this new info sink in for you guys.  :wink:

Regards

Daniel

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi Dan,
Let me say firstly, I appreciate the hard work you are putting into this meet, and as a result, i believe it will be a huge success. :D
From my end, I am happy to go with your recommendation. I was a bit confused by your last post as to which time slot would best suit the zig zag rail way. I am happy to have the BBQ before or after the railway run. As far as what time to meet at penrith, 9 or 9.30 is fine but as you say this may be determined by what time we do the zig zag railway run.
Do you know what I think, You have done a great job trying to get this whole thing together. Now we have agreed on a date and on theory what we want to do, I think from here we can trust you on your recommendation. You have researched well so I propose that you tell us all from here what time to meet and what the plan is and I reckon we will all be happy to go along with it. If it does'nt fit our needs , I am sure we will point this out too.Thats my feeling, what do the rest of you think?

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Let me say firstly, I appreciate the hard work you are putting into this meet, and as a result, i believe it will be a huge success. :D

Hey Eyma

Thanks for that much appreciated.

I was a bit confused by your last post as to which time slot would best suit the zig zag rail way.

If by that you mean this was confusing:

1140am dep with a end time of 1220-30pmish. Meaning have Lunch after the trip or
140pm dep with a end time of 220-30pmish. Meaning we have Lunch before the ride.

What I meant was the Diesel railmotor departs at 1140am/140pm and we will swap onto the steam train around 12pm/2pm and arrive back at the start/finish around 1220-30/220-30ish.

I hope that makes sense now (I quite often speak my own version of English which no one else can understand  :lol: :lol: :lol:)

Regards

Daniel

Offline encountar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith
I'm all for it mate.

doesnt bother me about times because im less than 10 mins from panthers. BBQ @ ZZR sounds good. im sure if we get 10 people $1 each could be easily arranged.... we could also just buy some meat to cook and than just share the cost around everyone who is eating (would be pretty cheap then)

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi Dan,
Thanks for clearing that up.
So i think what your saying is that we would be better off taking the first trip leaving 1140 and having the BBQ after the trip. This would suit me fine. This means we would want to leave the panhers club by around 9.45-10.00am. Since some of us are travelling distances to get there, and it can be hard to calculate the time required to get to penrith, it would be best to play it safe and aim to meet at the Panthers between 9.00-9.30am. That my reckoning any way.

Oh, and good news, I think that I may have convinced my brother to buy an i30 as well. The car is in stock so all going well, he will join us as well. :D

Offline camerooney

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      South Coast NSW

• NSW Australia
Eyma + Thumper (and other canberrans) are you guys coming up together (well in a convoy...lol)?
If so, I wanna try and meet you on the hume somewhere. To be honest, I'm not real familiar with the road up north (havent driven up there before).
So it would be nice to drive with people who wont get lost...hehe
:lol:

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
I suspect some, if not all of us will travel in convoy, in which case you should the line. I will be using my trusted Tom Tom, so hopefully wont get us lost. :lol:

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Another alternative for the Canberra boys is to take this route to and/or from ZZR. Sorry but it doesn't really help you Cam, but if any Canberra people need/want to make a quick getaway from ZZR and not do the rest of the trip, this should be the way to go.

I personally haven't done this trip, but be warned that if you make a wrong turn you will end up on very long dirt tracks.

Regards

Daniel

Offline camerooney

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      South Coast NSW

• NSW Australia
Cool.
Let me know what time you're leaving and I'll try and leave at a similar time to meet up somewhere around the mittagong area (but on the hume)
The convoy would probably be due for a rest stop by the time you get up near Mittatong anyway.
:P

Also Daniel, want to thank you for organising this trip.
You've put a lot of thought into it and I think its going to be a wonderful day!
:D

Oh and that trip above looks loooong and windey
:lol: :lol:

lol.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Don't forget the pics
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia

Also Daniel, want to thank you for organising this trip.
You've put a lot of thought into it and I think its going to be a wonderful day!
:D

Oh and that trip above looks loooong and windey
:lol: :lol:

Cam

Not a problem m8, I don't like seeing things like this with so much potential go to waste and fall on its you know what as a result.

So far we have 7 cars inclusive for the trip and 13 attending although for ZZR purposes only 12 (infants don't count unfortunately, except for insurance purposes) if we do get the 20 we should also break the 10 car mark, this was what I'd hoped for.

As for the backway trip to Canberra I think it looks like a nice trip I might have to take one day....... :D :D :D

Also what's this rest break business? I've got no problem admitting I have a Nanna bladder but I can normally go from Cooma to Lower Blue Mountains (with an hr break at Canberra airport) without problems..............  :P :lol: (Please note this is said Very Tongue In Cheek, I completely understand)

Don't forget the pics

Don't you worry, I'll be playing photog for the day aswell, the trip will end long beofre the memory cards are filled, only problem will be finding the time to edit all of the photo's as the day after the meet I go back to work........... :'( :'( :'(

Which means a busy driving day for me as after the trip I have to go straight back up to Newcastle....... (This also being why I feel the Canberran guys pain to a degree.......)

Thanks again, everyone.

Regards

Daniel

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal