i30 Owners Club

FatBoy heads South

FatBoy · 46 · 10896

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
As most of you are probably aware, I have recently changed employers and moved to Tasmania (small island state just south of Mainland Australia).  I drove my i30 down solo, with Mrs FatBoy (I'm not game to call her FatGirl) and the two mini-FatBoys to follow in the near future.  I drove from Toowoomba via the Newell Highway to Melbourne, and then took the Spirit of Tasmania (Bass Strait Ferry) to Devonport, caught up with Dazzler, and then continued onto Hobart.

The i30 performed extremely well (as we would all expect).  The benefits of the Newell Highway is that the road is relatively flat and the speed limit is 110 km/h for the majority of the road.  There are also fewer towns, so you don't have to slow down as often.

On the trip I covered 1858 km, with an average fuel consumption of 5.1 l/100km.  I was very impressed with that considering I was at the speed limit the whole time, did a day of driving around Melbourne, and had the climate control on the whole time.  One thing I did notice is that during the initial part of the trip, the speed limit was 100 km/h, and I was getting 4.5 l/100km.  Maybe coincidence, but the extra 10 km/h seemed to up the fuel consumption (drag does play a big factor, particularly above 80 km/h).  Ugly Mongrel suggested I should include the distance the ferry covered in my overall calculations, bringing the fuel consumption figures down even further, just to annoy AlanHo, but I'm not that type of person.   :whistler:

Here is the car just prior to departing, notice that it is relatively clean.

I had to pull over to the side of the road to allow this "OVERSIZE LOAD" to pass.  It was the tray from the dump trucks in the mines.  It was on the road from Goondiwindi to Toowoomba.

The road and country side were very flat (it is called the GAFA for a reason).  I reckon it is so flat you could watch your dog run away for two days.

Some of my selections from my iPod.  As you can see, I have a very eclectic taste in music (yes, I was singing loudly to both).  Most of the time I was listening to a Podcast from one of my favourite radio shows.

Here is a train that overtook me while I was stopped at roadworks (not too many, thankfully).  I believe that it was carrying cotton.

Some of the more scenic countryside north of Dubbo.

Plenty of these on the drive.  Grey nomads.  I am extremely jealous of them.

I had to stop for a "wee" break at a roadside rest stop.  Many insects decided that they wanted to commit suicide on my car on the way down.  We all know the last thing to go through their minds too.

The car passed 25 000 km on the way down too.  Half as old as UM's.  Like UM's, the car hasn't missed a beat.

Lined up to board the ferry.  Waiting, waiting, waiting.....

My cabin on board.  Small but comfortable.

I'd once again like the thank Dazz and Trish for their hospitality in Devonport.  Dazz is surely one of the nicest and most genuine gentleman I have met.  Trish, likewise, is a lovely lady, who welcomed me into their home (albeit briefly).  I hope to repay the hospitality in the near future.

FatBoy

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I just clicked on unread post after 90 minutes or so and there was only 1  :disapp: I wasn't disappointed though when I checked it out  :happydance:

Not only did you remind me of one of my best ever mates Angus (who unfortunately passed away a few years ago)  :confused: But you have his sense of humour too .. Loved this line...

The road and country side were very flat (it is called the GAFA for a reason).  "I reckon it is so flat you could watch your dog run away for two days." :rofl: :rofl: (haven't heard that one before) and this one is a cracker too...

"Many insects decided that they wanted to commit suicide on my car on the way down.  We all know the last thing to go through their minds too." :D

Great photos..  :goodjob:

Jamie and his Family are hoping to settle in the Huon Valley (south of Hobart) which is great because it is not that far from where my Auntie lives and is a really lovely area  :goodjob:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Great report FatBoy & interesting to read & view.  :goodjob2:
I hope you enjoy your new life in Northern Antarctica  :winker:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Hope you didn't use a mobile phone for this pic, Jamie.... :winker:
A camera is so much safer...... :P  :lol:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
No, of course not.  That would be against the law to use a mobile phone while driving!!

It was an SLR Digital Camera that required both hands to use properly.  I had to drive with my knees to take these photos.   :whistler:

Really it was a Fujifilm XP waterproof digital camera.  Great little pocket model.  I can't seem to take a photo of it though, as every time I set it up in a nice location, it moves into my hands so I can take the photo.   :D

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
 :lol: 

It's an art driving with your knees, isn't it......Was one of the first things I learnt to do after getting my licence... :p

Made it so much easier to eat a hamburger with the lot...  :D

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Great trip summary Fatguy - enjoyed the photos immensely :goodjob:

PS, not knowing otherwise I would have thought the trip aboard the Spirit would be too short to need a cabin? Thought you'd stay in your car during the trip. Shows what I know  :-[
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Great trip summary Fatguy - enjoyed the photos immensely :goodjob:

PS, not knowing otherwise I would have thought the trip aboard the Spirit would be too short to need a cabin? Thought you'd stay in your car during the trip. Shows what I know  :-[

Thanks Shambles.

The Spirit of Tasmania sails overnight between Melbourne and Devonport.  The trip takes about 10.5 hours and averages 24 knots for the crossing.  Much too long to be spent sitting in the car!!  Also, due to security and safety reasons, once the ship sails, you are not allowed to return to your vehicle.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
...The trip takes about 10.5 hours...

Ahh... I wasn't aware it was paddle-driven  :faint:

It actually looks a short distance, according to the map:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Only looks like it is about six inches, doesn't it?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Do try to keep on topic :rofl:

Oh hang on... "heading south". Sorry, you were on topic :lol:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

I was in the High & Dry Tavern the other day (before I was banished to the HOS) and I heard the new barmaid, you know, the one with blonde hair, big tips (yes, tips) say exactly those words to the bishop when he dropped in for his usual.

• Tertius the i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Well, I was heading towards the "map of Tassie". 

(Somebody had to say it)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Well, I was heading towards the "map of Tassie". 

(Somebody had to say it)

Now you've left me feelin' all warm and fuzzy... :lol:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I'll show you I'm Tasmanian, if you show me your Brazilian!!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

This thread is nearly as good as Rusty's KFC joke  :goodjob:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Great write up SLIM, nice photo's...

I guess we'll be seeing some photo's of your new bird anytime soon, can't wait, I was just watching some stuff on one of the Discovery channels 'bout ecilopters...    I won't go into details, suffice to say 'be careful'   :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Great read but you failed to mention when Mrs F and minor F's are joining you?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
No, of course not.  That would be against the law to use a mobile phone while driving!!

It was an SLR Digital Camera that required both hands to use properly.  I had to drive with my knees to take these photos.   :whistler:

Really it was a Fujifilm XP waterproof digital camera.  Great little pocket model.  I can't seem to take a photo of it though, as every time I set it up in a nice location, it moves into my hands so I can take the photo.   :D
In my early 20's I had a newsagency which required the delivery each morning of just over 1000 papers - nearer 1500 on Sundays, plus magazines twice a week mid morning and afternoon papers ( a few hundred) six days a week. Driving with your knees, even around 90 degree corners is a pre-requisite. But I never used a mobile phone once  when making those deliveries. :happydance:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Great report, Jamie. Photos were good too. Can I have my iPod back now please? :happydance:
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
great pics slim.  :mrgreen: i hope you've stocked up on warm cloths and blankets,it gets a bit cold in tassie.  :lol:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
great pics slim.  :mrgreen: i hope you've stocked up on warm cloths and blankets,it gets a bit cold in tassie.  :lol:

NOBODY TOLD ME THAT!!!  Does that mean I have packed my g-string speedo for nothing?

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

NOBODY TOLD ME THAT!!!  Does that mean I have packed my g-string speedo for nothing?
sarcasm.  :lol:  i thought i would just remind you its goodbuy aircon,hello heater.  :lol:  so, any g string pics slim?  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Ironically, Hobart  lows aren't much lower than Melbourne (they just don't get those stinking hot days)  :P

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

sarcasm.  :lol:  i thought i would just remind you its goodbuy aircon,hello heater.  :lol:  so, any g string pics slim?  :rofl: :rofl:

Check out www.overweightoverfortyingstrings.com

All funds go directly to my retirement fund.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Anyone else click on that link..?. thank goodness it didn't open  :rofl:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
great pics slim.  :mrgreen: i hope you've stocked up on warm clothes and blankets,it gets a bit cold in tassie.  :lol:

Ironically, Hobart  lows aren't much lower than Melbourne (they just don't get those stinking hot days)  :P
:lol: i know that.  :winker: just toying with slim.  :whistler: :lol:  how long is Jamie in tassie for?   :confused:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

great pics slim.  :mrgreen: i hope you've stocked up on warm clothes and blankets,it gets a bit cold in tassie.  :lol:

:lol: i know that.  :winker: just toying with slim.  :whistler: :lol:  how long is Jamie in tassie for?   :confused:

He has moved down here permanently  :D :D :D :happydance: :happydance:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Anyone else click on that link..?. thank goodness it didn't open  :rofl:
but curiosity got the best of me.  :whistler:  no it didn't open.  :lol:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal