i30 Owners Club

Here we are in Mount Gambier.......

Offline kittikat

• 6th Gear
  • Purrrrfect (AKA Radar...)

• au Australia
      Sunbury, Vic
This long weekend has seen him and me hop into the car and head for the hills. Or more accurately head for the border.  We have come over to Mount Gambier for a couple of days.  It is about 4  & 1/2 hours drive from home, coming in at around 450 kilometres.

We are staying at a lovely B&B.  I will add some photos when I get home and can upload them to the laptop.  I only brought the ipad with me.

We got here yesterday afternoon. We just drove around and had a look, then after dinner we went to a place called Umpherston Sinkhole.  There is a huge hole in the ground, that some guy planted out with all sorts of flowers at the end of the 1800's.  There are possums that live there and come out to be fed.

Today we went back to see it during the day.  It is really amazing.  Then we went to Englebrecht Caves.  It is a very popular place for cave divers because it has dry caves, caves half filled with water and some that are fully filled.  Then it was out to Tantanoola Caves to see Stalactites and Sta legmites.  Three very different caves all within a few k's of each other.  Then we spent the afternoon around the lakes here in Mount Gambier.  The one they call the 'Blue Lake' is 70 metres deep.

Here is a link to the tourism site, it is an amazing place.

http://www.mountgambiertourism.com.au/visit_see_info.asp?subcat=4&cat=2

I hope that works, it's the first time I have done it from the iPad.

Tomorrow, we will do a little sightseeing then start the trip home.  We usually take the long way home from anywhere we go, just to see what's along the way.  I will put up some pics and perhaps a link to photobucket when we get home.
  • Dark Knight Kona Highlander 1.6l turbo aka Connor

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Sounds like a nice relaxing trip. Looking forward to seeing the photos.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks KittiKat also looking forward to the photos ...Might have to put Mt Gambier on the short list for a visit  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Looks real nice Kitty...  looking forward to some nice photo's  :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Nice Kitty..... :D

I've been over a few times on the bike over the years and was actually over there maybe 4 years ago in the car.
I did see that sinkhole and the blue lake....Pretty amazing!  :goodjob:

I got to see one of the caves (Tantanoola?) back in the 80's....I was on my way to Adelaide via motorcycle with the ex wife...... :undecided:

Offline kittikat

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Sunbury, Vic
Sadly, the Blue Lake was more a 'Steel Grey' lake.  But it is pretty anyway.  Even today when the sky was cloudless, it was the same colour.  Everyone has told us we have to come back in summer and see it again.  Sounds like a plan.   :goodjob2:

We came home via Mount Schank, which is an old Volcano.  While Mount Gambier is a big flat hole filled with water, this one is actually a crater with tall sides. It was amazing.  We then drove to Point MacDonnell which had a fair to passable beach (I'm not a beach kitty in all honesty) and then we came home through Dartmoor to have a look at some tree carvings we had been told about. 

The carvings were a bit of a disappointment in all honesty, we were both expecting them to be tree size.  They were probably life size, but when you expect tree size......  :rolleyes:

All in all an enjoyable weekend was had by all.  We ate, walked and relaxed. The dog was happy to see us, the cat just expected food and the son was doing uni homework so he just looked up and said 'oh, hi'.   :Dunno:

Uploading photos to photobucket.  Link to come soon.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks again kk ...I've already done some research via google and google maps... probably go via great ocean road ad come back another way.  :happydance:

Offline kittikat

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Sunbury, Vic
Here is a small part of the many photos I took.

This is Colston House where we stayed.  Our room is at the top on the right.    I would recommend it.

The 'White' room.

Umpherston Sinkhole - From above

From inside

The Blue Lake

Englebrechts Cave

Mount Schank

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
It looks very nice there.
Thanks.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Excellent Cecelia .. liked the look of those places  :mrgreen: :happydance:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal